The Lockout struggle is real

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Just a thought - what's the box temp when at the strip compared to running on the street ?

Other than spectating on the odd occasion I have no experience of the strip, but I can only think that the box temp would be comparatively low and therefore slower / notchier / stiffer / more likely to lock you out etc (maybe exacerbated by race day nerves ?)

My 2020 MT82D4 and my 9 years younger partner have a lot in common - both like being fully warmed up to guarantee maximum fun factor ... :giggle:

WD :like:
Never experienced any lockout at high revs on the street. On my third lap of my first trackday, got locked out of third almost every time. Had to slow the shift way down, fully depress clutch fully let off throttle, let rpms start to drop off, then she would go in. Think 1 -1000, then engage 3rd. Its heat related for sure but not cured by adding heat.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just a thought - what's the box temp when at the strip compared to running on the street ?

Other than spectating on the odd occasion I have no experience of the strip, but I can only think that the box temp would be comparatively low and therefore slower / notchier / stiffer / more likely to lock you out etc (maybe exacerbated by race day nerves ?)

My 2020 MT82D4 and my 9 years younger partner have a lot in common - both like being fully warmed up to guarantee maximum fun factor ... :giggle:

WD :like:
I’ve never looked at the box temperature, but the drive to the track is 14 miles. Both times I started making hits within 30 minutes after arriving. The longest cooldown period between runs was about 35-40 minutes.

Nerves we’re definitely a factor for me on the first outing, as I hadn’t been down the 1/4 mile in a car or on a bike since 2014.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
I had some lockout on the street, trying to shift while the car was turned or heavy side loading.

Well, I wasnt having that nonsense.

Barton Hybrid 3 Trans mounted
BMR engine brackets
BMR Engine mounts
Boomba rear trans mount
Steeda SS clutch line
Steeda clutch master line

Tightened the entire experience up. Super nice, tight shifts, regardless of how much body roll is occuring. Shifting by redline, no problems at all now.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had some lockout on the street, trying to shift while the car was turned or heavy side loading.

Well, I wasnt having that nonsense.

Barton Hybrid 3 Trans mounted
BMR engine brackets
BMR Engine mounts
Boomba rear trans mount
Steeda SS clutch line
Steeda clutch master line

Tightened the entire experience up. Super nice, tight shifts, regardless of how much body roll is occuring. Shifting by redline, no problems at all now.
Right on sir! Sounds like you’ve managed to put the lockout monster in a headlock. I’m happy to hear that! When you shift at redline, do you pause briefly upon depressing the clutch, or do you shift fast?

I noticed that on my first track outing, with my WOT Box ignition cutout time programmed to the default setting of 350ms, there was a delay, just long enough to allow WOT shifting at redline without issue. When I went back to the track the second time, I lowered the WOT Box ignition cutout time to 200ms and that’s when I experienced grinding or a crunch on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I think I’m going to leave it at 350ms moving forward, because that seemed to be an adequate amount of time to slow things down in the tranny to allow high rpm shifts. You can hear the WOT Box ignition cutout/long pause between shifts in this video. Although the shifts were made at WOT, they actually sound like I am lifting off of the throttle.

Hell, I gotta play Captain Save a Ho with this MT82-D4 and help it live.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
Right on sir! Sounds like you’ve managed to put the lockout monster in a headlock. I’m happy to hear that! When you shift at redline, do you pause briefly upon depressing the clutch, or do you shift fast?

I noticed that on my first track outing, with my WOT Box ignition cutout time programmed to the default setting of 350ms, there was a delay, just long enough to allow WOT shifting at redline without issue. When I went back to the track the second time, I lowered the WOT Box ignition cutout time to 200ms and that’s when I experienced grinding or a crunch on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I think I’m going to leave it at 350ms moving forward, because that seemed to be an adequate amount of time to slow things down in the tranny to allow high rpm shifts. You can hear the WOT Box ignition cutout/long pause between shifts in this video. Although the shifts were made at WOT, they actually sound like I am lifting off of the throttle.

Hell, I gotta play Captain Save a Ho with this MT82-D4 and help it live.

I shift quick, but after blowing up and rebuilding a few transmissions on another platform, I am synchro conscious. I always rev match downshifts, and generally try to get it to glide into gear, not jam it, lol

So, at the 7400-7800 shift zone, I hit it pretty hard and fast actually. Now that I think of it, lol.

Havnt had any hiccups in the slightest.

You have a lot more variables going on with that clutch tamer setup, so I don't think we can apples to apples compare, despite having very similar mods.

Trans mounted shifter being the BIG mod to do to prevent lockout.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustangfreek

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Sooo...

Who has the best price on the Mgw ?

Not playing arid and want a trannyuntedvshifter

mu h difference between stud and race?

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
How’s that stock clutch holding the power from the Procharger? I’ve read so much stuff on clutches and transmissions lately and I forget who has done what? Didn’t you have a Mantic or RXT clutch at one point? If so, I was wondering why going back to stock over two superior clutche? My apologies if I’m mistaken.
I took the mantic out because it was not allowing me to downshift. Apparently it's an issue on the 18 and up cars. I have to send the clutch to mantic to see what's up with it. Stock clutch is holding for now but I don't beat the crap out of my car and it has never been to the strip ( plan to haven't got to it yet)

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I took the mantic out because it was not allowing me to downshift. Apparently it's an issue on the 18 and up cars. I have to send the clutch to mantic to see what's up with it. Stock clutch is holding for now but I don't beat the crap out of my car and it has never been to the strip ( plan to haven't got to it yet)
I read your post and a few others that led me to steer clear of the Mantic, although it is a beautiful and robust looking clutch. I couldn't chance having issues with it and having to pull the tranny again to remove and send it back for inspection. The other thing was the springs popping out of it. All of that was enough to scare the crap out of me, so I went a different route. Hopefully I made the right choice.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
so would the rxt be a better choice? i know two people with the mantic, they love it and no issues.

my car is currently in the shop, and they cant get the clutch to disengage.

calimer stage 3

qa1 carbon fiber shaft

mgw race spec shifter

stainless braided clutch line

i had the RST in my stock trans, only issue is at a stop it didnt like going into 1st gear all the time. I had to roll forward a bit in 2nd than go to 1st, or move shifter to 2nd than put into 1st.
other than that i had no problem smashing all the gears or driving normal. the first gear issue may have been due to me power shifting at the same time i broke my differential bushing.
Sponsored

Last edited: