Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It has been a helpful and very informative thread to be sure but you can't really participate in a conversation then moan that it doesn't go the direction you want. Imagine that playing out in a real world scenario and how heavy handed that would be. If you don't like a conversation you always have to option to disagree or not participate but telling everyone else what they can and cannot do isn't going to make the world a better place.
Who offended you? Quote whoever you are speaking about. Likewise, if you don't like the thread or the company you keep, your option (as in any situation) is to leave.

I find it apaling that a large corporation essentially spies on me and worse is that people think it's ok.
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Who offended you? Quote whoever you are speaking about. Likewise, if you don't like the thread or the company you keep, your option (as in any situation) is to leave.

I find it apaling that a large corporation essentially spies on me and worse is that people think it's ok.
Nobody offended me, certainly not you. I'm glad there is a technical article about this, I am absolutely against the idea of trading my privacy and rights away for a trinket of convenience and I'm all for discussing that. The inevitable byproduct will be a discussion of societal norms that will be labeled as political. You can't have one without the other but some childish folks can't handle a difference of opinion from their own so they attempt to tell everyone what they can and cannot discuss. Personally, I place that right up there with collecting my vehicular data for my "safety."

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Many folks don't realize is that most insurers have actuary tables that quite frankly are pretty good. Their tables are intended to reward good risks and not reward not-so-good risks, and make a profit of course for assigning values to those risks and managing them.

I too was tempted to "pull the plug" on vehicle tattle tales, until I asked myself, why? Am I trying to deceive someone, or do I need to adjust my behavior. We of course look at the world around us and see the common mentality, pull the plug.

I know first hand from track days that HPDE track days are a risk. I wadded up bikes twice and still have injuries reminding me I was on a track day because it was a thrill to take risks that I felt I could handle. It didn't matter that one occurred when another biker came across my front wheel that laid me on the ground. I chose to take the risks even though I didn't expect a dive-bomb from behind to the same real estate I had mapped out. I played, I paid. It is on me, not him.

The adrenaline rush from risky behavior is what motivates us to run track days or drive spirited on the street. We'll spend hours and days replaying on our minds or on video, what a thrill it was surviving some of those risks. We'll share with friends....and yet when someone calls us out, I can personally attest, the first response often is to rationalize our behavior as acceptable, even if it puts another at risk.

Along the topic of insurers obtaining information on our driving habits.... Most insurers obtain significant amounts of data to more evenly divvy up risks and costs when renewals come due. Insurers at least in Florida, must present data to the State to ensure risk groups are appropriately charged / rewarded.

If I drive like I'm at Laguna Seca while on the street, why shouldn't I pay more? At 70+, some common sense is finally rubbing off on me and our generation. Sure I pay more insurance because of the statistics of our vehicle model and class as if I was contributing to a risky driver pool, but that's my choice to be in that pool, and I love it. Yes I'm helping share the costs of people who drove like I did as a young adult. At the same time I think back and realize that the generations prior to mine had good reason to question my lack of common sense which was driving their insurance up.

But let's go back to early posts on this thread and ask ourselves, am I responsible for manufacturers and insurers wanting to know how I'm using a car. I don't need to fear Ford or insurers if I'm not engaging in risky behavior. I can point fingers at manufactures, insurers, and law enforcement tattletales all I want, but if/when I engage in risky behavior it's on me/us who chose such behavior. So.....personally, I have no problem with the concept, if I play, I pay. I've had a few times over my driving years where I had more horsepower than I had sense. I'd venture to guess many, or possibly most, on this forum can relate. :wink:

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I can relate to that, nearing 70 myself. But aside from the effects on our insurance rates, a greater reason to object is that this is another example of a business that violates our privacy, takes our personal information without our knowledge or consent*, makes money by selling our personal information to other businesses, and doesn't share a dime of the profits they make off of us.
-----------------------------------
*Try crossing out language in a form contract, or not initialing every paragraph, and see if they'll still make the deal with you.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Interestingly, Lehto posted a video about short range GPS frequency jammers being used to prevent cars collecting info based on GPS such as speed, location, etc.. No doubt that would also play havoc with services such as navigation but I guess some think its worth it.

The solutions discussed here seem more appealing since they stop some reporting of said info rather than the actual real-time use.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Very well thought out post, Nathan and your logic is sound IMHO. I'm also with you on pay to play and have no problem with that.

BUT, just like the problems with the 2nd Amendment pros and cons for me, the most important downside is the privacy invasion so I'm in the camp with @Rael. EVERYWHERE we turn today we are faced with privacy invasions and I for one am flat tired of it so sorry Ford et al, you don't get info from me if I can prevent it.

I've had a few times over my driving years where I had more horsepower than I had sense. I'd venture to guess many, or possibly most, on this forum can relate. :wink:
<smiling> Ain't that the truth, Nathan! <arm raised> ;=)

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Literally zero repercussions. Took her for a spin again this evening, no RF emitting. FordPass still hung up on data from days ago. I'd uninstall FordPass but I figure I'll keep it for a bit in case anyone needs me to test something.
Hi. I have a 19gt. What fuse did you pull or unit unplugged to disable data transfer?. Thank you

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Here you go, Doug, it's #8.

gt500-telematics-fuse.png
Thank You. I removed the 5 amp fuse yesterday. I also requested a Auto driving history report from Lexisnexis Fords Mega Data Third party. If it shows any data which could only be derived from my Mustang, I will seek Legal Advice. I was just given, by Ford Customer service, they gave me the same Bullet statement, saying Ford does not give or sell any personal driving Data We will see. I will now request my report from Verisk (Hyundai Mega Data third party) and review it. I unsubscribed from their Bluelink service. Thanks

Last edited:

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
If it shows any data which could only be derived from my Mustang, I will seek Legal Advice.
The EULA that people have agreed to for FordPass app, FordPass points or online accounts has given FordPass those legal rights. I have not agreed to it and the last app or website that I have used from Ford is the old syncmyride.
If you have not agreed to those EULAs either, you should have a strong legal case.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
This thread about technology in our cars would be most useful without political opinions.
Sadly, the "technology" you speak of is driven by politics and typically by one party at that. Whether done for your "safety," emissions regulations, you name it - is is utopian ideology behind it. Panties in a wad in 3, 2....

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Sadly, the "technology" you speak of is driven by politics and typically by one party at that. Whether done for your "safety," emissions regulations, you name it - is is utopian ideology behind it. Panties in a wad in 3, 2....
Depends on the technology you speak of IMO. Data collection (and sales of said data) is largely driven by corporations looking for ways to make more money (at our privacyā€™s expense). Now, is the search for monetization of said data a result of certain policies put in place? Perhaps, perhaps not.

Certain vehicles with certain technology does make it easier for sure (*cough EV cough*) and now over the air car tech has made its way into just about every new model, EV and ICE. Hell, Iā€™m guilty of encouraging it by using the FordPass app to remotely start my car from the train or a basketball game when itā€™s -10F outside. Iā€™m aware of what using the FordPass app opens me up to, I made a choice to go along with it. Others decided they donā€™t want to and thatā€™s 100% their right to choose. As long as weā€™re given a choice and can decide if we want to opt in or opt out, Iā€™m good with that. If the choice piece gets taken away, thatā€™s when I start having a problem.

Phone apps and the data they collect are nothing new. If anything, I would say the auto companies and insurance companies have followed Google, Facebook, all the various game apps, etc. as far as data mining and sales. And those arenā€™t the result of any specific policy by either party, at least that Iā€™m aware of (and at least not directly).

As far as politics getting dragged in, neither party (and the majority of politicians within those parties) gives a damn about you, me or anybody else unless youā€™re giving them large sacks of dough. And even then thereā€™s a limit to their caring. If people think one election is going to change things, Iā€™ve got lakefront property in the Mojave Iā€™d like to sell you. Carry on.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Thank You. I removed the 5 amp fuse yesterday.
You're good to go, Doug, the car is mute and I know that because the last time I took it in for the brake pedal BS, the service manager thought something was wrong with the car because he only had data on my girl up to the date when I pulled the breaker.

@RTFM nailed it. FordPass, the EULA, and you're agreement tuit is the reason they can legally sell your information.

I would say the auto companies and insurance companies have followed Google, Facebook, all the various game apps, etc. as far as data mining and sales.
No doubt about it, Mark. Mr. G., FB, and virtually all the other social media connections were way ahead of the auto companies and the amount of data sold to date by them probably makes the auto companies look like rookie wannabe's.

BUT, the catch is, the driving data. I can't think of anything one might post on social media that could wind up costing you money let alone the cost of a new engine, transmission, or any other large warranty repair and for me, that is the HUGE difference in data collection.

I couldn't care less if someone knows I like "Frosted Flakes" but if the information my car provides to Ford ends up costing me money when the warranty should be in force, I would be major league PO'd.

Thankfully, we at least have the ability to prevent this from occurring with our vehicles, if only we could pull the breaker on Alphabet, Meta, and the rest of 'em.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You're good to go, Doug, the car is mute and I know that because the last time I took it in for the brake pedal BS, the service manager thought something was wrong with the car because he only had data on my girl up to the date when I pulled the breaker.

@RTFM nailed it. FordPass, the EULA, and you're agreement tuit is the reason they can legally sell your information.

No doubt about it, Mark. Mr. G., FB, and virtually all the other social media connections were way ahead of the auto companies and the amount of data sold to date by them probably makes the auto companies look like rookie wannabe's.

BUT, the catch is, the driving data. I can't think of anything one might post on social media that could wind up costing you money let alone the cost of a new engine, transmission, or any other large warranty repair and for me, that is the HUGE difference in data collection.

I couldn't care less if someone knows I like "Frosted Flakes" but if the information my car provides to Ford ends up costing me money when the warranty should be in force, I would be major league PO'd.

Thankfully, we at least have the ability to prevent this from occurring with our vehicles, if only we could pull the breaker on Alphabet, Meta, and the rest of 'em.
The apps that scare me more than anything are the payment apps. Venmo, PayPal, etc. Iā€™d rather not use them but unfortunately a lot of places/people require them these days. I just donā€™t like having financial information in a million different places. And why other apps need access to information from other apps Iā€™ll never know (other than the camera, which I get). Just ways for them to collect and sell my data.

Now weā€™re really going down the rabbit hole šŸ˜
Sponsored