Sponsored

Tested a PP GT, loved the car, but I don't think I can pull the trigger, here's why..

OP
OP

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was VERY hesitant to order a Premium because it meant I had to take MFT. I wanted too much of the Premium package and took a chance on my first touchscreen. It was a good call.

Contrary to the reviews of the 2012 and 2013 MFT, this one works. The voice activation is easy and reliable, as long as you follow the prompts. Phone pairing worked perfectly with a GS4. My iPod works perfectly without even trying, and my audiobooks stop automatically when the car is turned off. I think that's a miracle.

I can easily program the Nav by voice, I can fully control the climate system. Wonder of wonders, the AUTO function of the Automatic Temperature Control actually works! First time I have ever (EVER) had an ATC that was worth anything.

I would not discourage anyone from MFT at this point. If they make it better, that would be fine, but it's darn good and very functional at this point. And I was so worried.
Hey I really appreciate your input. I'll revisit it for sure. Unless a stripped gt350 is <$50,000 :headbang:
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I feel the pain. I wish Ford would go a'la carte when it comes to options.

I HATE being forced into crap you don't want when it comes to ordering a vehicle. I'd love to order a new PP GT, but to get leather you have to bump to a Premium with all the fluff. Not interested, I want a base GT with PP and leather.

Jeep has this down to a science with their Wranglers. Nearly everything is available as a separate option. When I ordered mine, I ticked every box on the option list except for the touchscreen radio. Don't need it, don't want it.

Hell, I'd order a new Mustang radio delete if I could. I rarely used the radio in the last two Mustangs I've owned.....

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
:thumbdown:
That won't happen. Besides, I don't need Google knowing more about my driving habits.
Do you wear a tinfoil hat, too? ;)

If you have a smartphone, they can already track most of that, anyways. And I at least trust Google with that information more than MS, Apple, or just about any other major private or public organization, anyways.

Personally, unsubstantiated fear of conspiracy isn't going to stop me from adopting clearly superior technology.

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
Interesting perspective. I love the MFT in my 13 Fusion. I've never had any problems with synching my phone or the wifes phone. I'm not a huge user of the voice activation, but when I do use it, it works well enough. I find the navigation intuitive and easy to use. I don't mess with the climate much (it's pretty much set at 72 degrees). Now, all that being said, my last new car was an 01 Mustang GT with nothing but a cd player. I did drive my dads Mercedes SUV and 11 Mustang GT and I found those navigation systems to be inferior. And before my Fusion, I was driving my old 90 Mustang GT with a Garmin. So, from my perspective, the current MFT is worlds apart. love it. I do wish I was able to include new apps (such as Waze), but for my use and experience, the current MFT is leaps and bounds better than what I'm used to.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport

I HATE being forced into crap you don't want when it comes to ordering a vehicle. I'd love to order a new PP GT, but to get leather you have to bump to a Premium with all the fluff. Not interested, I want a base GT with PP and leather.

Jeep has this down to a science with their Wranglers. Nearly everything is available as a separate option. When I ordered mine, I ticked every box on the option list except for the touchscreen radio. Don't need it, don't want it.

Hell, I'd order a new Mustang radio delete if I could. I rarely used the radio in the last two Mustangs I've owned.....
Yep...I agree. Their packaging options are horrible. Should be based on things like security, safety, comfort, engine, entertainment, nav, etc.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Interesting perspective. I love the MFT in my 13 Fusion. I've never had any problems with synching my phone or the wifes phone. I'm not a huge user of the voice activation, but when I do use it, it works well enough. I find the navigation intuitive and easy to use. I don't mess with the climate much (it's pretty much set at 72 degrees). Now, all that being said, my last new car was an 01 Mustang GT with nothing but a cd player. I did drive my dads Mercedes SUV and 11 Mustang GT and I found those navigation systems to be inferior. And before my Fusion, I was driving my old 90 Mustang GT with a Garmin. So, from my perspective, the current MFT is worlds apart. love it. I do wish I was able to include new apps (such as Waze), but for my use and experience, the current MFT is leaps and bounds better than what I'm used to.
It works. It's certainly functional. Hell, I may have even been unfair when I called it unintuitive, the controls aren't that bad.

The worst thing about it is that it's RIDICULOUSLY slow for a computer in 2014. There's just no excuse for it.

There are certain questionable features, too, that make me wish for a bit more customizability, but not the end of the world. It's certainly not as good of an interface as, say, a phone, though. That's why I'm really looking forward to their Android integration.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
I had my first issue with MFT today... Instead of going to SiriusXMU when I tell it to, it goes to the Indie talk radio station. Interesting since XMU is Sirius' Indie (music) station so it's not completely far off, but I can't stand talk radio so it's an annoyance having to pull over to change it (can't ever remember the channel numbers...)

As for the speed of MFT, it basically has the same power as an HTC Incredible from 2010. Pretty weak.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I had my first issue with MFT today... Instead of going to SiriusXMU when I tell it to, it goes to the Indie talk radio station. Interesting since XMU is Sirius' Indie (music) station so it's not completely far off, but I can't stand talk radio so it's an annoyance having to pull over to change it (can't ever remember the channel numbers...)

As for the speed of MFT, it basically has the same power as an HTC Incredible from 2010. Pretty weak.
You have to pullover to change your station?

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Yeah, I kind of wish they would as well, but I'm pretty sure prices would go up on the individual options if they did.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
I hope that they adopt the Android in-car OS soon... I'd be all over that. Might even be enough to get me to trade in at some point (... maybe for a GT350 with such a system, heh).
:thumbdown:
That won't happen. Besides, I don't need Google knowing more about my driving habits.
I'll have to dig around and find it, but earlier this year there was an article saying the next gen systems will allow both apples carplay and androids in car system to be used. It sounded like they were going to allow anyone to develop a system to run within Ford's QNX system. There will be "rules" carplay and the others must follow though.

I don't remember seeing an anticipated date the next system will be incorporated into the cars. Obviously it will coincide with each respective models redesign/ refresh.

Sponsored

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
You have to pullover to change your station?
If voice commands aren't working, then yes... I don't like using the screen while driving as it can be a distraction, and the scan buttons are linked to my presets so you pretty much have to browse the channel menu to find the right one.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
My first car, a 1953 Ford coupe, had an infotainment system. Back then we called them "passengers."

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
I'll have to dig around and find it, but earlier this year there was an article saying the next gen systems will allow both apples carplay and androids in car system to be used. It sounded like they were going to allow anyone to develop a system to run within Ford's QNX system. There will be "rules" carplay and the others must follow though.

I don't remember seeing an anticipated date the next system will be incorporated into the cars. Obviously it will coincide with each respective models redesign/ refresh.
That is different than a system running Android. I do hope that an interface is developed and backward compatible that allows apps to be used in MFT. I would like have apps run in that quarter of the screen that is used for Navigation when equipped.

I can see that being prevented from happening because it will cannibalize the navigation upgrade. Of course, Ford could just refuse to certify any navigation applications to work with the system. It is their sand box after all.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah, I kind of wish they would as well, but I'm pretty sure prices would go up on the individual options if they did.
I'd pay for it....
Sponsored