Sponsored

Tested a PP GT, loved the car, but I don't think I can pull the trigger, here's why..

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
How old is your HTC phone and what version of Android, by the way?
Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
So I spent about 20 minutes in a Magnetic GT with the performance pack.

The car was great. It's in a whole different class compared to the S197. So, so many great things about the car, motor, chassis, interior fit and finish.

A couple small gripes are that the clutch felt a little weird and I think the car could use a fair amount of additional compression and rebound dampening, even for a daily driver. It just had a bit more bound than I was anticipating, but then again everyone might not like it quite as stiff as me (TWSS).

So the only thing that is really holding me back from ordering one is that the car uses the same God-awful, piece of $hit MFT system that is in my wifes car (2013 Fusion). I sat and played with it for a good 20 minutes just to see if it was some sort of new updated version that actually functioned worth a damn....sadly no. There isn't any type of app integration as far as I could tell, and I couldn't even get it to tether correctly to my phone (HTC One). I could go in to all the issues we've had with hers (crashing, stalling, slow response, the rubik's cube that is phone tethering and the worst voice recognition in any device I've ever used, etc.) but I won't bore anyone with it.

Now some research has indicated that Ford is switching to a QNX based system that will bring a ton of compatibility, namely the Android Auto app that I think is pretty revolutionary compared to what we've had up until now in our vehicles. I saw where Ford has stated that the new Edge is going have it's system updated to the new QNX system, but they haven't said a peep on the 2015 Mustang as far as I can tell. Is there any info on this I'm missing? I would love to have one in my garage, but the fact is we spend just as much time interacting with the infotainment stuff as we do the shifter and clutch and it's a pretty big deal in a car that will spend the next 5 years as my daily driver.

TL;DR 2015 Mustang kicks ass, My Ford Touch/SYNC sucks ass.
That's funny because I love the MFT in my wife's 2013 Fusion Titanium. I also loved it in our 2012 Explorer. I was very happy to see it is being added to the 2015 mustang and was on of the reasons I decided whatever Mustang I ordered was gonna have it.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
That's funny because I love the MFT in my wife's 2013 Fusion Titanium. I also loved it in our 2012 Explorer. I was very happy to see it is being added to the 2015 mustang and was on of the reasons I decided whatever Mustang I ordered was gonna have it.
+1 I refused to buy another Mustang until MFT was added. People need to go use a Mercedes Infotainment system....you will bow down to MFT after lol

Sadly people expect it to be an Ipad. Maybe ford should cut 100 hp off each model by cutting performance costs and reallocate those funds to making everybody's Android/Ipad system...

OP
OP

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
if your basing your car purchase on the fact weather you can sync your phone to it or not then you might want to rethink your priorities....i use my car to drive not to talk thru...
what did you do 20 yrs ago? we had nothing like this....
maybe thats why we are having all these issues with crashes...they want to talk on their phone instead of driving the car....which was its intended purpose. its illegal in MD to talk or text on your phone....just sayin
Well I'd argue that if we all had properly functioning hands free infotainment systems that we would be much safer than fumbling with a phone in a moving vehicle. I have to keep my phone on me for work, I'm paid to take emergency calls 24hrs a day.

And 20years ago a loaded Mustang Gt costs 20k, Ford charges 2,000 just for the MFT/Sync system, so I'm going to be more critical of it. If I could get all the premium features sans the MFT I'd do so in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It really does not matter if they go with QNX, it still won't be a great Android based system. .
I don't need it to be as good as an Ipad. If it worked as well as say oh say the system that comes in the Ram now days I'd be happy.

Everybody remember back in the day when you bought a car because of how it drove vs how the infotainment system worked???
Remember back when a Mustang GT with leather didn't sticker for $40k?

How old is your HTC phone and what version of Android, by the way?
It's an HTC One M8 running 4.4.2. Wife has a note 4, before that we both had Note 2s. Before that I has Galaxy S3. All of them have had connection issues with the MFT in her car. The only way we have consistently gotten it to pair is my pressing the stater to turn on the accessories but not actually start the motor and then pair it. If we're both in the car at the same time, one of us has to turn off bluetooth or else it won't connect to either. It's running the latest software and they supposedly replaced something in it about 4 months after we bought it. That stopped it from freezing for the most part, but did nothing for the functionality.

I'm glad it's working for you. Wish I could share the experience.

OP
OP

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
+1 I refused to buy another Mustang until MFT was added. People need to go use a Mercedes Infotainment system....you will bow down to MFT after lol

Sadly people expect it to be an Ipad. Maybe ford should cut 100 hp off each model by cutting performance costs and reallocate those funds to making everybody's Android/Ipad system...
I don't need an Ipad in the car. Go play with the one that comes in the new Rams and you'll see how it should be done. And Ford charges $2000 for the mft system, I don't think I'm out of line to expect a properly functioning infotainment system in the year 2015 on a $42k Mustang GT.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I think the mft is great and the voice activation is awesome as long as u get the commands correct.Also I think its pretty quick and being able to make changes to radio and full climate control without taking my eyes off the road is awesome! !!

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I wouldn't even have considered a Mustang if it did not have MFT option.
I never have any trouble with MFT... I like it.. sorry you are not having the same experience. Maybe Ford hates Android? I've always had an i-Phone and never had connection issues.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not sure why so many seem to take offense. Truly the only reason I started this thread was to see if anyone had heard if the system was going to get the OS like Ford announced on the new Edge. If not I'll just wait a year, no big deal. If the SYNC system works for you, great! I've just had two years of nothing but frustrations dealing with it and would rather not go down that road again if I didn't have to.

svtenthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. They should of got rid of MFT a long time ago but they keep limping it along I guess to justify the initial investment. It would of been a great opportunity to start with the 2015 for the new system.

MFT does not hold a candle to Chrysler's Uconnect touch system. It's fast and has a very intuitive menu system. It's top rated while Ford continues to get knocked down in initial quality because of MFT.

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Well I'd argue that if we all had properly functioning hands free infotainment systems that we would be much safer than fumbling with a phone in a moving vehicle.
If we had refrigerated kegs instead of back seats and taps on the dash, that would be a lot safer than digging around in a cooler while driving around hammered.

We probably ought to start a sticky for all of these safety ideas.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I bought the base GT with PP because it's more about having a muscle car and jumping into a race car every day. A radio/mp3 player is fine with me.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I bought the base GT with PP because it's more about having a muscle car and jumping into a race car every day. A radio/mp3 player is fine with me.
Somebody gets it.
Sponsored