Sponsored

Tested a PP GT, loved the car, but I don't think I can pull the trigger, here's why..

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So I spent about 20 minutes in a Magnetic GT with the performance pack.

The car was great. It's in a whole different class compared to the S197. So, so many great things about the car, motor, chassis, interior fit and finish.

A couple small gripes are that the clutch felt a little weird and I think the car could use a fair amount of additional compression and rebound dampening, even for a daily driver. It just had a bit more bound than I was anticipating, but then again everyone might not like it quite as stiff as me (TWSS).

So the only thing that is really holding me back from ordering one is that the car uses the same God-awful, piece of $hit MFT system that is in my wifes car (2013 Fusion). I sat and played with it for a good 20 minutes just to see if it was some sort of new updated version that actually functioned worth a damn....sadly no. There isn't any type of app integration as far as I could tell, and I couldn't even get it to tether correctly to my phone (HTC One). I could go in to all the issues we've had with hers (crashing, stalling, slow response, the rubik's cube that is phone tethering and the worst voice recognition in any device I've ever used, etc.) but I won't bore anyone with it.

Now some research has indicated that Ford is switching to a QNX based system that will bring a ton of compatibility, namely the Android Auto app that I think is pretty revolutionary compared to what we've had up until now in our vehicles. I saw where Ford has stated that the new Edge is going have it's system updated to the new QNX system, but they haven't said a peep on the 2015 Mustang as far as I can tell. Is there any info on this I'm missing? I would love to have one in my garage, but the fact is we spend just as much time interacting with the infotainment stuff as we do the shifter and clutch and it's a pretty big deal in a car that will spend the next 5 years as my daily driver.

TL;DR 2015 Mustang kicks ass, My Ford Touch/SYNC sucks ass.
Sponsored

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
How much time do you think you are going to spend messing around with car-related app's on a touch screen compared to experiencing the driving, just wondering? Other issues I could see, but negging it down for a system that is actually pretty good compared to others seems pretty harsh

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Sounds like you have been reading too much from Consumer Reports

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
Seems like a small thing to base a decision like a car purchase on, but I agree that MFT in general does indeed suck.

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
The MFT in my Mustang is improved over the one in my '13 Focus: faster, no audio sound dropping out, no crashing.

You can always save $4K and get the base model without MFT. Of course...... you'd be doing without other features you might like.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
How much time do you think you are going to spend messing around with car-related app's on a touch screen compared to experiencing the driving, just wondering? Other issues I could see, but negging it down for a system that is actually pretty good compared to others seems pretty harsh
I happen to like the current version of MFT, but I agree that proper infotainment is just as important as proper driving dynamics. If you drive 12,000 miles a year, at least 8,000 of those will be steady-speed straight highway runs where you have no more fun in a Mustang than you would in an accord. But proper USB music integration and bluetooth integration and readable GPS maps is something that's useful 100% of the time. It would be really nifty, for example, if I could use voice controls over bluetooth when I start my car to pull up the audible app and go to a particular book, rather than having to do that while I'm pulling out of a parking spot.

Sanctuary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German cars.
Sounds like you like this car needs to be a 10/10 for a purchase. I can respect that, can you overlook the MFT system? Is that the absolutely only option you don't like?

OP
OP

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well the car will be my daily driver. I cover 4 different medical centers for a healthcare provider so I put about 15-20k miles a year on my vehicles, with the majority being boring ass highway miles. So unfortunately the infotainment system is a pretty big piece of the pie when it comes to vehicle interaction for me.

Sounds like you have been reading too much from Consumer Reports
I own a 2013 Ford with MFT, I speak from first-hand experience. I wish I had read CR before I bought the thing and saved myself several thousand dollars.

Seems like a small thing to base a decision like a car purchase on, but I agree that MFT in general does indeed suck.
If this was just my weekend cruiser then yea I could look past it. But unfortunately that's not the case.

You can always save $4K and get the base model without MFT. Of course...... you'd be doing without other features you might like.
Exactly, if I were purchasing the car as a weekend fun car, then I'd probably be looking to get a stripper gt with a blower and coilovers and rip out the stereo all together, but sadly that isn't the case. I'm in my car several hours a day during the week.

I happen to like the current version of MFT, but I agree that proper infotainment is just as important as proper driving dynamics. If you drive 12,000 miles a year, at least 8,000 of those will be steady-speed straight highway runs where you have no more fun in a Mustang than you would in an accord. But proper USB music integration and bluetooth integration and readable GPS maps is something that's useful 100% of the time. It would be really nifty, for example, if I could use voice controls over bluetooth when I start my car to pull up the audible app and go to a particular book, rather than having to do that while I'm pulling out of a parking spot.
Thats what Android Auto promises. Just a matter of how much for Ford will integrate it. I read an article where a Ford Exec was quoted and he sounded a bit pessimistic about full integration with Android Auto and even more pessimistic about Apples app service. They're missing a huge opportunity with consumers.

Sounds like you like this car needs to be a 10/10 for a purchase. I can respect that, can you overlook the MFT system? Is that the absolutely only option you don't like?
I don't need a 10/10, that car doesn't exist. I really loved the car. I think it's the best product Ford has ever made, and this is coming from a guy that has owned 5 Ford vehicles in the past. It's just after living with the MFT/Sync system in my wifes car for the past two years it's apparent that it is a subpar system and I don't want the incredible car that is the new Mustang to be sullied by it. If Ford releases a statement saying the 2015 Mustang will be updated to the QNX OS with Android integration I'd put in my order tomorrow (GT, PP, Ingot, Redline, I get semi just thinking about it lol) but until then it gives me serious pause, my experience with MFT has been that bad.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
I heard somewhere current system is compatible with QNX perhaps down the road there will an update

JBsC6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 black c6 z51 m6 with npp
Interesting that infotainment technology such as this holds the deciding factor to not purchase at this time.

New world.

I hope ford updates it's infotainment tech to meet your expectations.

I don't happen to agree yet respect your perspective as it's your money.

Sponsored

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
if your basing your car purchase on the fact weather you can sync your phone to it or not then you might want to rethink your priorities....i use my car to drive not to talk thru...
what did you do 20 yrs ago? we had nothing like this....
maybe thats why we are having all these issues with crashes...they want to talk on their phone instead of driving the car....which was its intended purpose. its illegal in MD to talk or text on your phone....just sayin

Mustangchief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kona Blue GT

The car was great. It's in a whole different class compared to the S197. So, so many great things about the car, motor, chassis, interior fit and finish.

A couple small gripes are that the clutch felt a little weird and I think the car could use a fair amount of additional compression and rebound dampening, even for a daily driver. It just had a bit more bound than I was anticipating, but then again everyone might not like it quite as stiff as me (TWSS).

So the only thing that is really holding me back from ordering one is that the car uses the same God-awful, piece of $hit MFT system that is in my wifes car (2013 Fusion). I sat and played with it for a good 20 minutes just to see if it was some sort of new updated version that actually functioned worth a damn....sadly no. There isn't any type of app integration as far as I could tell, and I couldn't even get it to tether correctly to my phone (HTC One). I could go in to all the issues we've had with hers (crashing, stalling, slow response, the rubik's cube that is phone tethering and the worst voice recognition in any device I've ever used, etc.) but I won't bore anyone with it.

Now some research has indicated that Ford is switching to a QNX based system that will bring a ton of compatibility, namely the Android Auto app that I think is pretty revolutionary compared to what we've had up until now in our vehicles. I saw where Ford has stated that the new Edge is going have it's system updated to the new QNX system, but they haven't said a peep on the 2015 Mustang as far as I can tell. Is there any info on this I'm missing? I would love to have one in my garage, but the fact is we spend just as much time interacting with the infotainment stuff as we do the shifter and clutch and it's a pretty big deal in a car that will spend the next 5 years as my daily driver.

It really does not matter if they go with QNX, it still won't be a great Android based system. The reality is, the car has to remain gender neutral as long as it is a mass production vehicle. If Ford makes the Android crowd happy, then they upset the Apple crowd. If you like the car, adjust your equipment. My S4 works great with phone/text integration. My music is on a USB. MFT3 has come a long way. Get the base model and a $800 tablet with cellular and a good mount if you must. There are a few niche builders out there who will install the perfect infotainment system for you, but you will need to add another column to the price. Do I think it is perfect, heck no, but it is light years ahead of the "new" cassette system in a 74 AMC Pacer I once owned, even a major step up from the Premium Shaker system in my 02 Mustang. Will, it get better, sure, but why bitch about something no one has...a true cross platform(apple/android) infotainment system.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Everybody remember back in the day when you bought a car because of how it drove vs how the infotainment system worked???

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP

This feels like more of a forced excuse to justify waiting.

My wife's 2012 Edge has the most recent update. The Mustang MFT feels quicker. Now 7 different phones from HTC-Samsung-LG and two different carriers. ZERO pairing issues all Android with her Edge.

Sorry man it just sounds like a poor excuse but you're allowed your opinion and no one can take that from you.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Everybody remember back in the day when you bought a car because of how it drove vs how the infotainment system worked???
Everbody remember back in the day when people died of smallpox? Times change.
Sponsored