Sponsored

Tested a PP GT, loved the car, but I don't think I can pull the trigger, here's why..

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
The OP's complaint about MFT isn't unreasonable. One of the biggest factors in a drop in the reliability rating of recent model year Fords is the volume of complaints regarding Sync and MFT. The MFT on my wife's 2013 Edge has the habit of performing maintenance at odd times. I haven't had that yet on my Mustang but I know it will arrive.

I didn't get navigation and I am not missing it. I have tried multiple times to use navigation by voice in my wife's car and the results are frustrating. I have had better luck using the MFT by voice to play the music on my iPod I leave in my car now.

I find it pairs with our iPhones very well. I had a Nexus 5 and it was an "unsupported device" through USB. I can't blame Ford for not wanting to support the vast wilds that is the Android market.

I do not care for the recent trend of auto makers and the infotainment systems in cars now. In days gone by, one could upgrade with a better aftermarket option. Now, I fear I will be stuck with the MFT and that wasted upper quadrant in my screen. I hope that there is an option to upgrade the OS to whatever Ford offers in the future but I won't hold my breath. That will just be another tool to entice me to upgrade.

I hope the aftermarket and hackers free us from the chains of OEM infotainment.
Sponsored

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
The OP's complaint about MFT isn't unreasonable. One of the biggest factors in a drop in the reliability rating of recent model year Fords is the volume of complaints regarding Sync and MFT. The MFT on my wife's 2013 Edge has the habit of performing maintenance at odd times. I haven't had that yet on my Mustang but I know it will arrive.

I didn't get navigation and I am not missing it. I have tried multiple times to use navigation by voice in my wife's car and the results are frustrating. I have had better luck using the MFT by voice to play the music on my iPod I leave in my car now.

I find it pairs with our iPhones very well. I had a Nexus 5 and it was an "unsupported device" through USB. I can't blame Ford for not wanting to support the vast wilds that is the Android market.

I do not care for the recent trend of auto makers and the infotainment systems in cars now. In days gone by, one could upgrade with a better aftermarket option. Now, I fear I will be stuck with the MFT and that wasted upper quadrant in my screen. I hope that there is an option to upgrade the OS to whatever Ford offers in the future but I won't hold my breath. That will just be another tool to entice me to upgrade.

I hope the aftermarket and hackers free us from the chains of OEM infotainment.
Yeah the occasional Maintenance at odds times is a bummer but it only takes about a minute on the current Gen version. Android phones are hit and miss with USB connections because of Google's change to MTP instead of basic USB drive mounting. PC's have issues with some of those phones as well because of a driver issue.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
well i guess i still like driving a car for what it is...a car.
like others have said...if i wanted a mobile phone booth i would have bought a van so i can put all my computers and such in it so i can get wifi everywhere i went....and while im at it maybe ill hook it up to direct tv so i can watch all my favorite recordings while i drive too...who cares about paying attention to the road...thats why i have insurance right??
hey maybe my vcr will be compatible too so i can play all my vhs tapes!

little sarcastic? yes i am.
sorry but i have seen plenty of accidents due to the fact of too many "gadgets" in the car for the drivers to "play" with and end up in somebod elses trunk who was actually paying attention...
sorry but im not taking back the comments. agree to disagree

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' base GT w/3.55s
MFT/sync is the worst system I have used in a car, and I have been through a lot of cars! It was a major turn off for me that the car still had sync and that it was the same old thing. I had a 2013 Escape with sync that I hated and it never worked right with my droid razr, I had to get a new phone for it to work properly. My friends wife had MFT in her focus, and it was nothing but problems for them as well.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I have never tethered my phone to anything.. what on your phone, do u need your car to be in sync with all the time, that you wouldn't buy a car..?

Is it because you can't answer a phone call..? I don't get it.

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
MFT in my wife's '13 Focus ST sucked initially (random crashes and reboots, lag, etc...), but after an update has worked flawlessly. I wanted MFT in my new Mustang after using MFT in her car for the past two years, and I am very pleased with it.

I have an HTC One phone and it works perfectly well with MFT. I use the phone strictly for communications, not music, as I have an old iPhone 4 that I use for music in the Mustang. A USB HD or thumb drive would work just as well, I use a USB HD in my DD '13 Focus SE with plain old Sync. Works like a champ.

I don't get the MFT hate. It isn't the same buggy system that caused Ford so much grief a few years back. If you're still having that much trouble with MFT in your wife's car you should check to see if an update is available. If you're just unhappy because it doesn't play well with your favorite apps then by all means, buy a different car.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Ford hasn't released an update for the 1st gen SYNC systems since 2011.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Don't have any issues with the MFT w/ NAV on my wifes '14 fusion. works flawlessly with her iphone and seemed to work just fine with my limited time on my android. It is slow compared to phones/ipads/ etc., but we haven't had any issues yet. the basic sync in my '10 focus works fine too. Maybe i'm just lucky.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Yeah, the infotainment system on this car is complete garbage for 2014. Ford and especially Microsoft should truly be ashamed of this nonsense. My 8-year-old Lexus IS350 had a better, faster, smoother system. You're paying $40K for a car in 2014, but they can't afford to put a CPU that costs more than (probably literally) about $7 from about 2002? Or is it really just that the software is THAT bad?

... I do at least appreciate that they have a touchscreen+buttons rather than that joystick BS

I hope that they adopt the Android in-car OS soon... I'd be all over that. Might even be enough to get me to trade in at some point (... maybe for a GT350 with such a system, heh).

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
So I spent about 20 minutes in a Magnetic GT with the performance pack.

The car was great. It's in a whole different class compared to the S197. So, so many great things about the car, motor, chassis, interior fit and finish.

A couple small gripes are that the clutch felt a little weird and I think the car could use a fair amount of additional compression and rebound dampening, even for a daily driver. It just had a bit more bound than I was anticipating, but then again everyone might not like it quite as stiff as me (TWSS).

So the only thing that is really holding me back from ordering one is that the car uses the same God-awful, piece of $hit MFT system that is in my wifes car (2013 Fusion). I sat and played with it for a good 20 minutes just to see if it was some sort of new updated version that actually functioned worth a damn....sadly no. There isn't any type of app integration as far as I could tell, and I couldn't even get it to tether correctly to my phone (HTC One). I could go in to all the issues we've had with hers (crashing, stalling, slow response, the rubik's cube that is phone tethering and the worst voice recognition in any device I've ever used, etc.) but I won't bore anyone with it.

Now some research has indicated that Ford is switching to a QNX based system that will bring a ton of compatibility, namely the Android Auto app that I think is pretty revolutionary compared to what we've had up until now in our vehicles. I saw where Ford has stated that the new Edge is going have it's system updated to the new QNX system, but they haven't said a peep on the 2015 Mustang as far as I can tell. Is there any info on this I'm missing? I would love to have one in my garage, but the fact is we spend just as much time interacting with the infotainment stuff as we do the shifter and clutch and it's a pretty big deal in a car that will spend the next 5 years as my daily driver.

TL;DR 2015 Mustang kicks ass, My Ford Touch/SYNC sucks ass.
What kind of car do you currently drive... the previous Mustang? If that is what you're basing the "Bound" comment on, then you need to drive another rear wheel drive car with IRS for a while. This is a trait of the IRS in Rear Wheels Drive cars, and after driving it for while, you'll likely start calling it more of a "Roll" vice a "Bound", but you'll get used to it, even when driving hard, it's a vast handling improvement over the solid axel. Sure you could stiffen it up, but if you go too far it will end up handling like the old solid axel.

Sponsored

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
I hope that they adopt the Android in-car OS soon... I'd be all over that. Might even be enough to get me to trade in at some point (... maybe for a GT350 with such a system, heh).
:thumbdown:
That won't happen. Besides, I don't need Google knowing more about my driving habits.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I don't get the MFT hate. It isn't the same buggy system that caused Ford so much grief a few years back. If you're still having that much trouble with MFT in your wife's car you should check to see if an update is available. If you're just unhappy because it doesn't play well with your favorite apps then by all means, buy a different car.
I have to agree with you here, we have MFT in my wife's '13 Fusion as well and I think it is functional without being cumbersome. Also have never had issues with voice recognition. Certainly I am not a power user of it and personally prefer the tactile feedback of actual buttons that I can use without looking down from the road, but it has been reasonable and stable from my experience.

Chris

OP
OP

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
What kind of car do you currently drive... the previous Mustang? If that is what you're basing the "Bound" comment on, then you need to drive another rear wheel drive car with IRS for a while. This is a trait of the IRS in Rear Wheels Drive cars, and after driving it for while, you'll likely start calling it more of a "Roll" vice a "Bound", but you'll get used to it, even when driving hard, it's a vast handling improvement over the solid axel. Sure you could stiffen it up, but if you go too far it will end up handling like the old solid axel.
That's a typo on my part. Meant to say bounce. Years of motorcycle racing has given me a pretty good feel for suspension tuning and to me the the car is a bit under-dampened. Like I said the the spring rates are fine but I was getting a definite double bounce after the compression stroke which is the tell tale sign of underdampening. Maybe about 20% more on both compression and rebound would be a good stating point.

Not a big deal as a $800 set of Ford Racing adjustable shocks and struts should clear it up. Would be nice if they just up to the price of the performance pack to $3200 or so and tossed them in and called it a Track Pack.

OP
OP

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
:thumbdown:
That won't happen. Besides, I don't need Google knowing more about my driving habits.
For better or worse if you have an android phone in your pocket it already monitors you. That's how Google maps has up to the minute traffic congestion data on every road in the country.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I was VERY hesitant to order a Premium because it meant I had to take MFT. I wanted too much of the Premium package and took a chance on my first touchscreen. It was a good call.

Contrary to the reviews of the 2012 and 2013 MFT, this one works. The voice activation is easy and reliable, as long as you follow the prompts. Phone pairing worked perfectly with a GS4. My iPod works perfectly without even trying, and my audiobooks stop automatically when the car is turned off. I think that's a miracle.

I can easily program the Nav by voice, I can fully control the climate system. Wonder of wonders, the AUTO function of the Automatic Temperature Control actually works! First time I have ever (EVER) had an ATC that was worth anything.

I would not discourage anyone from MFT at this point. If they make it better, that would be fine, but it's darn good and very functional at this point. And I was so worried.
Sponsored