Sponsored

Tapping during startup. Tell me what you think

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1 Hellion TT
So Thursday afternoon I came home and started the car to make sure the channels I added in the scanning software was registering. I heard tapping while it warmed up. Continued well past when the idle came down from cold start. When it is pretty warm it mostly stops or gets so quiet I cant really hear it anymore.
The tapping is pretty audible at the 1 minute mark. Most distinct at 2:09 and on.

Motor has a little over 1k miles on it. Tuesday I changed the oil to 5w50 full synthetic with a Wix XP oil filter.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sounds like a normal engine to me. Not sure what you are hearing that I'm missing.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Sounds like mine. Seems to run just fine.
What happens when you get the revs a little higher?
Do you hear it under load? I.E. going up hills at low RPM.

OP
OP
noshine4mine

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May need head phones to hear The tapping after 1 minute, when it idles down you can hear it easy. It was not doing that 3 days ago. and that is a brand new built engine.
it sounds like low RPM knock to me.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I can hear it clearly. It sounds like rod knock but it's not because you would hear rod knock all the time in low gear under load and as you accelerate. It's odd and doesn't seem to be a problem. Keep driving it and if it gets worse, then deal with it then.

Sponsored

OP
OP
noshine4mine

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can hear it clearly. It sounds like rod knock but it's not because you would hear rod knock all the time in low gear under load and as you accelerate. It's odd and doesn't seem to be a problem. Keep driving it and if it gets worse, then deal with it then.
I am waiting to here back from my Builder. I have a window for warranty on it.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Post back here what they say. Might be useful info for everyone.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
FWIW,

I hear what sounds like something related to it just as the engine starts; quite loud, a sound like wire hitting against something (although I know that is not what that is). Oil lacking in/on a part? 17 sec.

That then fades, and can hear it consistently at the 45 sec mark.

OP
OP
noshine4mine

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW,

I hear what sounds like something related to it just as the engine starts; quite loud, a sound like wire hitting against something (although I know that is not what that is). Oil lacking in/on a part? 17 sec.

That then fades, and can hear it consistently at the 45 sec mark.
Any noise prior to 1 minute is just noise, nothing I am worried about. you can really hear it after at the 2 minute mark. I agree it sounds like something isnt getting oil. I am going to try a motorcraft filter in case the Wix is just more restrictive (snowballs chance in Hell i know). Never made any of the tapping noises with the two prior oil changes. Those were both 10w30 using motorcraft filter. Unfortunately my builder is closed today.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Where does it sound like it's coming from? I had something sounding similar coming from my passanger side timing cover.

Sponsored

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
I hear tapping after 3:07

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Sounds vavle train related to me. Lifters? Doest not sound like a rod knock.

What bearings did they use in your build?

For anyone interested, you can REALLY hear what he is describing right around the 2:12 mark.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Either the start of rod knock/partial spun bearing, or some piston slap has formed.

It's NOT valvetrain or timing chain related.

Do you have the clearance specs?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I agree with Cory S. My guess would be piston slap. If I read correctly this is a recent engine build???
A possible culprit could be the result of a longer stroke or perhaps a change in the piston pin location with different pistons? Maybe a change in the piston skirt??

Back in the early 2000's GM V8 sometimes had noticeable piston slap at a cold start. Had a neighbor with the 5.3 V8 pickup. I could hear the slap from my yard. Looked at buying an 1969 Pontiac Firebird with a late model engine swap. I asked the seller to wait for me to be present and start the engine cold. Had piston slap which went away as the engine warmed up.

The good thing is piston slap is not a death sentence for an engine. Many of the GM engines went for lots of miles.

Key is that the noise tends to go away as the engine components get up to operating temperature. Not sure if any additives will help, but that might be a thing to check for if it is indeed slap.

This is just a guess so keep an open mind. May well be something else.

Good luck

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Mine sounded worse but I used 2 bottles of ceratec for every oil change and it doesnt do this anymore. ALso added a whipple 770 rwhp , no tap related problems in 54k total miles.
Sponsored