hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
both. There's a MPG tracker on the Trip computer, there's another '30 minute' trend one, and also an 'instant' gauge. I get between 20 and 21.5 on the 30 minute trend graph.

reset them all by holding down the OK button.
Does your fuel level gauge track correctly given fuel burned and miles supposedly traveled?
What is on the display when I hold down the OK button? Where is this trend graph?

When you ask does the fuel level gauge track correctly, do you mean when I see the gauge at the mid (half way) point and add gas, do I add 8 gallons? If so, I honestly don't know and will check that.
Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Ok, so I have hade my mustang for just a couple of months and I have learned that the distance till empty display is not a trustworthy source of info, as it does not update in real time and is not based on what is currently happening, but instead what happened last tank. I have also learned that it seems to show a larger miles till empty on full if I fill up from a lower tank, like 1/4. It certainly doesnā€™t work like the ones on the BMWs I have worked on and driven for years. If you want to calculate your mpg, I would use a different method.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What is on the display when I hold down the OK button? Where is this trend graph?
Unless the digi-dash got rid of all the useful screens, there is a Fuel menu, with 4 screens: trip 1/2, trend, and instant. Cycle thru them all and hold OK on each one to reset metrics.

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Unless the digi-dash got rid of all the useful screens, there is a Fuel menu, with 4 screens: trip 1/2, trend, and instant. Cycle thru them all and hold OK on each one to reset metrics.
I don't recall ever seeing a Fuel Menu.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Settings - Trip/Fuel Info
Read pages 105-106 in owner's manual.

"Fuel History - Shows fuel usage as a bar graph based on time. The graph is updated
each minute with the fuel economy that you achieved during 30 minutes of driving."

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have only 288 miles on my odometer. But, when I get down to about half or a bit less I fill up and have done that three times.
Something is not right here. First off, 288 miles total since new? Thatā€™s your first problem. Get out and drive the darn car.

Secondly, the fact that you driving down to half and filling up doesnā€™t sound right. Even with a new engine you should have had to fill up no more than once. Unless of course youā€™re beating the shit out if it. 17/18 locally on a new engine is where you should be.

Lastly, you just had the car at the dealer for your window. Did you ask them about this?

OK, one last thing. Howard, itā€™s time to read the manual. šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not worried about consumption, what I do find bit weird is the size of the gas tank only 61 liters. Would be nicer if it was 70-80 liters :) It's gran turismo after all.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I now that when I got my 2021 GT I was getting at most 210 to 230 miles per tank, mpg got better after a few tanks. Now at 3000 miles I'm getting close to 300 miles per tank. When I drive the car hard I get about 200 miler per tank.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Iā€™ve only got 400 miles on my car but Iā€™ve filled up twice. Both times I got 14mpg and if I remember correctly it said 220 miles to empty after the fill up. I expect those numbers to go down a little after itā€™s done being broken in. The car is definitely thirsty :cwl:

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Miles to empty are calculated based on what the car thinks current average MPG is (which seems logical). You're overthinking this.
Miles to empty is a 1). variable number the car calculates from what it 2) thinks the MPG is. Think about this for a second it implies a lot.

So lets say you have a full tank, you run the car hard, or in a poor MPG scenario (stop go traffic) for the whole tank, you are going to get shit MPG and therefore not drive a long geographic distance.

When you are near empty and you refill the car with a new full tank, it looks at your existing average MPG based on the tank you just ran down quickly in poor MPG scenario and calcs out expected miles to empty with THAT data. This makes it look like you are getting short range, but this is not reality, remember I said the Miles to empty (MTE) is variable, below is how that is.

Now with the new full tank you jump on the freeway and drive in MPG friendly scenario (flat gradient, no traffic, cruise control). As you highway cruise the MTE number will start to "hang". It will say something like MTE 180mi for a REALLY REALLY long time before it starts ticking down accurately with your burn rate. You burn the entire tank, you just drove a MUCH MUCH geographic distance than the stop go scenario and you far exceeded the MTE expectation (also your instantaneous MPG read out will be high, so will your 30 minute sample). Now you fill the car up again, this is where you will see your MTE go way up from before, because your last tank was from a good MPG scenario. You will now get an MTE readout much closer to reality and max range.

MTE is not a good way to know when you are going to run out of fuel. The trip computer is more accurate in S197s premiums then the MTE readout, it shows mileage, gallons burned, time, and MPG.

On my first S197 (which seemed to get slightly better mileage always) the trip computer would read 15.75 gallons burned when I was at empty and pushed it beyond MTE 0. I go fill up at the pump and yep, the burn amount from the trip computer is dead on! On my second car the burn rate computer is just as accurate. An interesting note. I will get to 0 MTE, and always I will have 1 gallon left to burn (based on burn rate trip computer and verified repeatedly at the refill pump many times).

bottom line you want to known how much gas you have burned use the trip computer, its more accurate than MTE. Burn rate works no matter the amount of gas started in tank. I have done it full tanks, half tanks, quarter. The burn rates are calculated accurately always. That is your best source for consumption data which you can infer expected range left regardless of what the MTE reading is.

Ok this post got long, and perhaps a little complicated but now you have a lot of info to work with and a fun experiment to run. I think Mike Pfeifer and I are trying to express the same thing.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The estimated when full is based on recent driving. So if your recent driving was very slow and got low MPG, it's going to estimate your new tank will be the same.

But that estimation is basically useless. If you drive around town all day and get 13mpg, then fill up and go on a highway drive it's going to be highly inaccurate. The estimation will think you'll continue to get 13mpg so it will be low, but in reality you're going to get 26mpg so the estimation will be off.
Sponsored