Tanks Alot

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
Miles to empty is a 1). variable number the car calculates from what it 2) thinks the MPG is. Think about this for a second it implies a lot.

So lets say you have a full tank, you run the car hard, or in a poor MPG scenario (stop go traffic) for the whole tank, you are going to get shit MPG and therefore not drive a long geographic distance.

When you are near empty and you refill the car with a new full tank, it looks at your existing average MPG based on the tank you just ran down quickly in poor MPG scenario and calcs out expected miles to empty with THAT data. This makes it look like you are getting short range, but this is not reality, remember I said the Miles to empty (MTE) is variable, below is how that is.

Now with the new full tank you jump on the freeway and drive in MPG friendly scenario (flat gradient, no traffic, cruise control). As you highway cruise the MTE number will start to "hang". It will say something like MTE 180mi for a REALLY REALLY long time before it starts ticking down accurately with your burn rate. You burn the entire tank, you just drove a MUCH MUCH geographic distance than the stop go scenario and you far exceeded the MTE expectation (also your instantaneous MPG read out will be high, so will your 30 minute sample). Now you fill the car up again, this is where you will see your MTE go way up from before, because your last tank was from a good MPG scenario. You will now get an MTE readout much closer to reality and max range.

MTE is not a good way to know when you are going to run out of fuel. The trip computer is more accurate in S197s premiums then the MTE readout, it shows mileage, gallons burned, time, and MPG.

On my first S197 (which seemed to get slightly better mileage always) the trip computer would read 15.75 gallons burned when I was at empty and pushed it beyond MTE 0. I go fill up at the pump and yep, the burn amount from the trip computer is dead on! On my second car the burn rate computer is just as accurate. An interesting note. I will get to 0 MTE, and always I will have 1 gallon left to burn (based on burn rate trip computer and verified repeatedly at the refill pump many times).

bottom line you want to known how much gas you have burned use the trip computer, its more accurate than MTE. Burn rate works no matter the amount of gas started in tank. I have done it full tanks, half tanks, quarter. The burn rates are calculated accurately always. That is your best source for consumption data which you can infer expected range left regardless of what the MTE reading is.

Ok this post got long, and perhaps a little complicated but now you have a lot of info to work with and a fun experiment to run. I think Mike Pfeifer and I are trying to express the same thing.
Yes a long post but very accurate, I've owned 2 Mustangs and this has been the case in both.
Sponsored

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Something is not right here. First off, 288 miles total since new? Thatā€™s your first problem. Get out and drive the darn car.

Secondly, the fact that you driving down to half and filling up doesnā€™t sound right. Even with a new engine you should have had to fill up no more than once. Unless of course youā€™re beating the shit out if it. 17/18 locally on a new engine is where you should be.

Lastly, you just had the car at the dealer for your window. Did you ask them about this?

OK, one last thing. Howard, itā€™s time to read the manual. šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚
Just came back from a ride (about 50 miles...). The first 20 miles the road wasn't congested and the fuel trip history showed an MPG of 17.5 which is obviously much better than my 11 mpg.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just came back from a ride (about 50 miles...). The first 20 miles the road wasn't congested and the fuel trip history showed an MPG of 17.5 which is obviously much better than my 11 mpg.
Good for you! Just keep driving. Let the car go down to 1/4 of a tank, nothing wrong with that. Do a manual calculation to double check your actual mileage. If there is nothing wrong the computer should catch up and be more accurate.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
A thing you can do is get on the freeway, set your cruise control, and reset your instantaneous readout while you are driving (not the MTE readout). Lets look at a pic of my instantaneous readout:

White numbers are AVG MPG since I last filed up (or hit reset on computer). I have been driving hard so its down from a normal of 22ish. Now if I was moving a green bar appears behind the white line in the center the green bar moves up and down that is your instantaneous MPG. If I reset this as I'm cruising at the highway the green bar would be high in the graph (mpg friendly conditions), the white numbers would recalculate based on that moving green bar and after a few mins the White AVG numbers would readout something like 26-27 mpg, which is max rating of the car. Drive like that for a while and you can judge if you are getting rated max MPG, sometimes you will be better sometimes worse, based on local factors cruise control, engine load, tire pressure, DA, ambient temp, ect. You can use the moving green bar to find the sweetspot for your best cruise speed. Mine is ~55ish MPH. (2014 GT, 6spd, 3.73 gears).

Now lets look at the trip computer menu, which shows the highly accurate fuel used (burn rate) "gal used". Thats what I was talking about before, that number is accurate, based on that I can estimate how much range real range I have left. Like I said I will be at 0 MTE, and yet it will say 15.0 gallons used, this means I have 1 gallon left in tank (it physically holds 16)this means about 20 miles range, or on the highway 25miles NO SHIT remaining.

gas_2.jpg

I find fuel burn and MPG an interesting topic. Its interesting to see how the FEDs have changed the MPG test for cars over the years, same with emissions. Here is one interesting thing to think about and it shows how the government is never a friend to you or your wallet.

You would think that if an engine is burning fuel for maximum efficiency (most MPGs least fuel) that must mean it's also burning the cleanest way possible, lowest possible emissions right? WRONG! The two correlate close together on a graph, but they are not in the same spot.

Burning for the cleanest DOES NOT MAX your MPG! Now the manufactured has to make emissions targets, so because of that, you are actually being shorted MPGs and dollars that your engine could actually make if the fuel strategy was set to burn for max MPG.

Brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC) - tons of fun reading about this. Cars or airplanes is very interesting topic.

GAS_1.jpg

1624048473750.png

Sponsored

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I've got 950 miles on mine, filled up and my Ford app says 334 estimated distance before fill up. I drive a lot of open roads around 65 mph, hardly any city driving.

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I've got 950 miles on mine, filled up and my Ford app says 334 estimated distance before fill up. I drive a lot of open roads around 65 mph, hardly any city driving.
That is certainly the key ingredient here. Thanks.

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
A thing you can do is get on the freeway, set your cruise control, and reset your instantaneous readout while you are driving (not the MTE readout). Lets look at a pic of my instantaneous readout:

White numbers are AVG MPG since I last filed up (or hit reset on computer). I have been driving hard so its down from a normal of 22ish. Now if I was moving a green bar appears behind the white line in the center the green bar moves up and down that is your instantaneous MPG. If I reset this as I'm cruising at the highway the green bar would be high in the graph (mpg friendly conditions), the white numbers would recalculate based on that moving green bar and after a few mins the White AVG numbers would readout something like 26-27 mpg, which is max rating of the car. Drive like that for a while and you can judge if you are getting rated max MPG, sometimes you will be better sometimes worse, based on local factors cruise control, engine load, tire pressure, DA, ambient temp, ect. You can use the moving green bar to find the sweetspot for your best cruise speed. Mine is ~55ish MPH. (2014 GT, 6spd, 3.73 gears).

Now lets look at the trip computer menu, which shows the highly accurate fuel used (burn rate) "gal used". Thats what I was talking about before, that number is accurate, based on that I can estimate how much range real range I have left. Like I said I will be at 0 MTE, and yet it will say 15.0 gallons used, this means I have 1 gallon left in tank (it physically holds 16)this means about 20 miles range, or on the highway 25miles NO SHIT remaining.

gas_2.jpg

I find fuel burn and MPG an interesting topic. Its interesting to see how the FEDs have changed the MPG test for cars over the years, same with emissions. Here is one interesting thing to think about and it shows how the government is never a friend to you or your wallet.

You would think that if an engine is burning fuel for maximum efficiency (most MPGs least fuel) that must mean it's also burning the cleanest way possible, lowest possible emissions right? WRONG! The two correlate close together on a graph, but they are not in the same spot.

Burning for the cleanest DOES NOT MAX your MPG! Now the manufactured has to make emissions targets, so because of that, you are actually being shorted MPGs and dollars that your engine could actually make if the fuel strategy was set to burn for max MPG.

Brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC) - tons of fun reading about this. Cars or airplanes is very interesting topic.

GAS_1.jpg

1624048473750.png
I have the digital dash and the layout is different. Also, I don't think I have that graphi.

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

gas_2.jpg

GAS_1.jpg

1624048473750.png
My digital display doesnā€™t have a gallons used value or at least I canā€™t find it.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
My digital display doesnā€™t have a gallons used value or at least I canā€™t find it.

Now that would really annoy me if that is the case!

There is a lot of apprehension I have with this digital gauge cluster. yes I should have said yours would be different, I had hoped you would have similar functions just displayed different. Time to break out the owners manual and see if there are related tidbits in there on the subject.

Hbash, do you have an oil temp reading in that digital cluster?

Sponsored
OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Now that would really annoy me if that is the case!

There is a lot of apprehension I have with this digital gauge cluster. yes I should have said yours would be different, I had hoped you would have similar functions just displayed different. Time to break out the owners manual and see if there are related tidbits in there on the subject.

Hbash, do you have an oil temp reading in that digital cluster?
Yes

DEDXXXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Black 6MT M3629
Trying to understand the mpg. I know the M1 isn't a fuel economic vehicle, but when I fill the tank, the display says 180 miles until empty. Given that the tank holds 16 gallons, that means I'm getting 11.25 mpg. It it me or what's the deal here?
Think of it like a gps estimating a time to destination and then trying to use that to back calculate your average speed. You stop for an hour lunch and find that your average speed for the trip was way lower than originally calculated.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Actually you donā€™t have engine oil temp. You have oil pressure and transmission oil temp.

There was an oil temp guage in 2018 put it was removed in a latter software update.

C65A704C-6332-4014-9C89-6D82C2BE8EA5.jpeg
Doesnā€™t the gt350 have an oil temp gauge? Could we swap out the vacuum gauge for that one? I imagine physically we could but do you know if it would work?

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Actually you donā€™t have engine oil temp. You have oil pressure and transmission oil temp.

There was an oil temp guage in 2018 put it was removed in a latter software update.

C65A704C-6332-4014-9C89-6D82C2BE8EA5.jpeg
This is on Page 104 of the Owner's Manual
1624076738190.png
Sponsored