Tail of the dragon.

Twotall77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessiah
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Where I'm from its about 3 hours away. But what we do have is 421 "the snake" if you know of the dragon then most likely heard of the snake. Would you classified it along the lines of a long autoX or hpde type of road???

0625212028_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there Jessiah

Short answer: no
Long answer: Performance driving is all about pushing your limits but you will never get the same braking and cornering forces on the street that you will at any autox or hpde type event. In autox or hpde, if you push your limits too far, all you do is hit a cone or drive into some dirt. If you push your limits on the street, you become a statistic. Don't become a statistic Jessiah

Have fun, keep it safe

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, if you're not wearing a helmet and making mistakes / sliding from time to time, its not the same.

OP
OP
Twotall77

Twotall77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessiah
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I hope I didn't come across someone trying to push there luck lol I was wanting some info about tires. Im on the mountain all the time. An for my self an the safety of others. Cars or bikes that cross a double yellow line or a dear jumping out. I don't push my self or the car on 421. Just wanting to stay safe an be able to change lines or dodge someone quick without worries about tires being slick over time of going up an down. I have never boiled my breaks or anything like that. I do plan on going to Bristol TN autoX soon.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I hope I didn't come across someone trying to push there luck lol I was wanting some info about tires. Im on the mountain all the time. An for my self an the safety of others. Cars or bikes that cross a double yellow line or a dear jumping out. I don't push my self or the car on 421. Just wanting to stay safe an be able to change lines or dodge someone quick without worries about tires being slick over time of going up an down. I have never boiled my breaks or anything like that. I do plan on going to Bristol TN autoX soon.
What are your tire questions?

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah, if you're not wearing a helmet and making mistakes / sliding from time to time, its not the same.
If you're not pushing it that hard, you're not putting enough heat into the tires to put that sort of driving into the same league as semi-serious autocross or HPDE. It won't be the same. Can't be.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The only things that the Tail or 421 might be able to offer that's in common with autocross or HPDE would be some incentive to drive as close to a "racing line" as lane widths permit. And some grasp of how to tie closely spaced corners together without pinching yourself off in later turns because you were working to maximize the earlier ones. It's a smoothness thing.

Norm

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I do plan on going to Bristol TN autoX soon.
ETR puts great events there. Take a ride with Jeff Cox or Jim Thomas (both in Mustangs) or any other fast people, you will get an answer to your question (which is - not even remotely close).

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
ETR puts great events there. Take a ride with Jeff Cox or Jim Thomas (both in Mustangs) or any other fast people, you will get an answer to your question (which is - not even remotely close).
Which is why I laugh everytime someone asks about A/S tires for 100% street car and 17 people chime in and say cup 2's or buy a Camry.

If you are out driving today's UHP,A/S tires on the street you need to be in jail.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Hey there Jessiah

Short answer: no
Long answer: Performance driving is all about pushing your limits but you will never get the same braking and cornering forces on the street that you will at any autox or hpde type event. In autox or hpde, if you push your limits too far, all you do is hit a cone or drive into some dirt. If you push your limits on the street, you become a statistic. Don't become a statistic Jessiah

Have fun, keep it safe
Yep agree 100%, spend the $400 bucks and drive on VIR, Barber, Road Atlanta or the closest closed course and get your thrills. Roads are roads and more things can go wrong fast. Not preaching just facts. Cars today are so quick that really need something more then $$ to buy them.

So exactly, keep it safe. (Why this response, because the question prompted it)

G

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Yeah, I can’t imagine driving anywhere near 100% with the unpredictability of a two way public road. If I were to do such a thing, I would do it in the slowest car I could find. A rental Corolla on all seasons for example.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Which is why I laugh everytime someone asks about A/S tires for 100% street car and 17 people chime in and say cup 2's or buy a Camry.

If you are out driving today's UHP,A/S tires on the street you need to be in jail.
I laugh every time someone recommends Cup 2's. They're great tires but the 3R is faster and cheaper or for the same price of Cup 2's, you could buy a set of Hoosiers. I assume people who buy Cup 2's simply don't know what else is out there

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You don't have to be anywhere near "outdriving" most [non-UHP] A/S tires to notice that they're not as responsive or as precise as they could be. Or should be, in a car that was chosen with cornering performance and handling goodness in mind. And that's something you might notice every time you drive. Quite unsatisfying when you do, and now you're either stuck with them or out more money to make it right for you.

Been there, with a tire model that initially was so severely over-pitched as "Performance all-season" that the mfr eventually downgraded it to "All-season performance".

Most average consumers looking to replace their car's tires tend to shop in the lower A/S categories and don't pay much attention to things beyond price and expected longevity.

Agreed - but that's a separate argument from the original and more general "A/S tires for 100% street cars".

Norm

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Not with those tires or brakes.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
And if you're making mistakes / sliding from time to time, don't do it on public roads like this. You're eventually going to make a mistake big enough that it's a problem. I don't care if you write your car off or kill yourself. That's your prerogative. Hurting someone else because you can't keep your dick in pants on a public freeway is a good way to earn prison time.

So if you get on a road like this, by all means enjoy yourself, but stay on your side and don't drive more than about 75%.
Sponsored