Sponsored

Suspension Recommendation ~$2,500

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

They said it won't be much more than the regular ones and based on looking at the FSD (the Koni Active predecessor) prices for other cares, that seems to be true. Seems to slot right around the price of adjustables.

For OP as a list and to piggy back on what @wildcatgoal said:

• Steeda Pro Action (adjustables, but I still say wait for their version of the Koni Active suspension when it comes out later this year)
  • Steeda Sport Progressives (I prefer linear personally)
  • Steeda adjustable bump stops
  • Steeda Camber Plates
  • Either Steeda or BMRs subframe brace, both get great reviews and I've had no issues with CB005
  • Vertical links and the knuckle to toe link assembly I don't have experience with
  • Steeda adjustable sway bars (my favorite mod I think, but I haven't driven a PP to compare)
  • Steeda G-trac Extreme brace or BMR's equivalent. Both are supposed to tighten up the front pretty well, Steeda's has an easier install and lighter weight but has a lower floor than others.

I've got the fixed Proactions on my car and it was a big upgrade over the base suspension setup and the Sport Linear springs were a big upgrade over the Eibach Sportlines I had put on initially (although the stance on those was great).
Sponsored

OP
OP
3er

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 Prestige, 2016 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4, 2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium
They said it won't be much more than the regular ones and based on looking at the FSD (the Koni Active predecessor) prices for other cares, that seems to be true. Seems to slot right around the price of adjustables.

For OP as a list and to piggy back on what @wildcatgoal said:

• Steeda Pro Action (adjustables, but I still say wait for their version of the Koni Active suspension when it comes out later this year)
  • Steeda Sport Progressives (I prefer linear personally)
  • Steeda adjustable bump stops
  • Steeda Camber Plates
  • Either Steeda or BMRs subframe brace, both get great reviews and I've had no issues with CB005
  • Vertical links and the knuckle to toe link assembly I don't have experience with
  • Steeda adjustable sway bars (my favorite mod I think, but I haven't driven a PP to compare)
  • Steeda G-trac Extreme brace or BMR's equivalent. Both are supposed to tighten up the front pretty well, Steeda's has an easier install and lighter weight but has a lower floor than others.

I've got the fixed Proactions on my car and it was a big upgrade over the base suspension setup and the Sport Linear springs were a big upgrade over the Eibach Sportlines I had put on initially (although the stance on those was great).
Fantastic - much appreciated! I agree that I'd want to wait for the Koni Active suspension - looks to offer the best of both worlds between ride quality and performance handling.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Fantastic - much appreciated! I agree that I'd want to wait for the Koni Active suspension - looks to offer the best of both worlds between ride quality and performance handling.
Don’t drink the coolade yet on the “active” shocks yet, as we haven’t heard a truly neutral review yet on a lowered car. Koni themselves would probably recommend their yellows over the new shocks for handling performance. They might be a good choice or maybe not. Driving off-road at low speed is a weird test for a mustang shock, my car only sees a lot more 70-80mph highway use than dirt or grass. Idk about you.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard such good things about Koni over the years and so the fact that Steeda leverages a tuned version is encouraging. Not to put you out too much...would you happen to have a recommended list of parts based on my goals?
You can get all of the suspension/chassis stiffening parts in my signature for well less than $2500 as the value when choosing Steeda is incredible. You can call Steeda and have springs/dampers/camber plates all pre-assembled as well.

As far as springs, I love my Ultrailte Linears. The handling is aggressively refined (225 front/880 rear) and the "stance" is just where I like it (see below).

p.s. Whichever route you choose, invest the $20 on the Steeda clutch assist spring. Best mod I've done on any car, ever.

full.jpg

Last edited:

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Leave it alone for a while, or put mild lowering springs on it.

You don't need camber plates if you're staying on the street, and vertical links are a waste of time, money, and don't do anything for wheel hop or strength.

Reactions: 3er

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
"Needing" or "not needing" camber plates has no single answer. Cambers after lowering may be either too aggressive or not aggressive enough for any given individual, depending on how hard the car gets driven and where it gets driven the hardest. Plus, an individual's needs or preference might change simply because slightly firmer springing encourages harder driving in the corners.

I should have mentioned Steeda as well. After all, I've been running the same set of Steeda HD strut mounts on my '08 for something like 8 years at this point. I did end up replacing some strut mount O-rings last year when I did a spring change, but O-rings are cheap and readily available in the big box hardware stores.

Norm

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t drink the coolade yet on the “active” shocks yet, as we haven’t heard a truly neutral review yet on a lowered car. Koni themselves would probably recommend their yellows over the new shocks for handling performance. They might be a good choice or maybe not. Driving off-road at low speed is a weird test for a mustang shock, my car only sees a lot more 70-80mph highway use than dirt or grass. Idk about you.
Although it is a weird test, it is a good way for them in Florida to simulate the driving conditions of somewhere more like Michigan where winter/salting ruins the roads. You can look up feedback on FSD setups for other cars in the meantime if you want some other opinions.

I'd say they're probably better than fixed options and same or better than adjustables, depending on what you really want out of the car.

Darkhelmet22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White 5.0
My "street" setup on my 15 GT PP is:

Steeda fixed pro-action shocks/struts with Steeda billet rear shock mounts
BMR SP080 springs
GT350R sway bars with BMR front endlinks
Steeda 2 point front subframe brace
BMR CB005
BMR poly vertical links
Ford Racing knuckle toe link bearing
Steeda black diff inserts with BMR 12.9 hardware
SVE 350R wheels 19x10 front with 275/35 and 19x11 rear with 305/35 MPSS tires

If i could change anything I'd probably opt for adjustable dampeners and a bit stiffer spring but other than that the car is super comfortable on the road and handles fantastic. I just took it on some roads by me called The Twisted Sisters outside of San Antonio Tx and the car performed really well. Really really well actually. I don't plan on any track time so I wanted the best for the street and I think I found a really good setup.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
vertical links are a waste of time, money, and don't do anything for wheel hop or strength.
Care to give the reasoning for this?

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
"Needing" or "not needing" camber plates has no single answer. Cambers after lowering may be either too aggressive or not aggressive enough for any given individual, depending on how hard the car gets driven and where it gets driven the hardest. Plus, an individual's needs or preference might change simply because slightly firmer springing encourages harder driving in the corners.

I should have mentioned Steeda as well. After all, I've been running the same set of Steeda HD strut mounts on my '08 for something like 8 years at this point. I did end up replacing some strut mount O-rings last year when I did a spring change, but O-rings are cheap and readily available in the big box hardware stores.

Norm
How much does the camber increase from lowering springs? Does that increase necessitate camber plates to reduce the camber back to 'streetable' settings, which is what the OP is looking for? If not, then they are "not needed" (for his use on the street).

Care to give the reasoning for this?
The OEM link does not bend, the OEM bushing is VERY THIN and thus does not deflect much. I got some used BMR vertical links in great condition, greased them up good, and they didn't do crap for improving wheel hop on my car. Then they started squeaking after a few months. I put the stock ones back on and never looked back.

Those who are all for aftermarket vertical links either don't know any better, changed other components at the same time that actually made a difference, are victims of the placebo effect, or are selling them and 'push' unnecessary products for $. Don't drink the coolaid.

IIRC, Ford's own S550 racecars use OEM links.

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I am really happy with my set up on the street(mods in sig). I absolutely love the track pack dampers, which says a lot because I've changed spring/damper set ups 3 times and would have made it 4 if I didn't like them. The GT350R bars are a steal for a nice mild bar upgrade as well.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ford's own S550 racecars use OEM links
Correct. The Ford Performance Racing School Mustang GT's are pretty darnn fast around the track. Stock stamped V-links.
I checked my v-links after 9 passes of massive wheel hop and there straight as an arrow.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Correct. The Ford Performance Racing School Mustang GT's are pretty darnn fast around the track. Stock stamped V-links.
I checked my v-links after 9 passes of massive wheel hop and there straight as an arrow.
Impossible. You can't launch a car on the strip without snapping a stock vertical link. You "NEED" aftermarket aluminum and steel vertical links that are stronger than your engine's rods :cwl:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
When I did mine, it was the only thing I changed and it was a very subtle improvement in inside wheel chatter exiting corners. TCA048 links. As Kelly will even say, they are a very minor piece of the puzzle.

OP
OP
3er

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 Prestige, 2016 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4, 2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I really want it to easily hop curbs during my cars and coffee exits...
Sponsored