OP
3er

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 Prestige, 2016 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4, 2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I went all-in with Steeda because of their reputation and they’re local to me. So far the experience has been fantastic, I have no regrets.
I'm sure you can't go wrong - both have great reps. In full transparency, I really appreciated BMR's approach of recommending items of which I get the most benefit for the dollar (that's my limited perception, at least). While I'm perfectly happy to spend $2,500 on a suspension upgrade, my goal is to get a solid street setup, not to keep buying parts for the sake of getting up to my preferred limit and/or maximizing the setup that may only be appreciated on a track.
Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Everybody takes a different approach to suspension tuning. You are correct their rear suspension is set up totally different than a production S550.
Steeda Tech
The GT4 is, but the fp350s is very close to stock. Yet both cars use the stock vertical links. Please educate Ford on all your testing that justifies needing to "upgrade" them. If they deemed it necessary to change the entire lower control arm, yet they retained the stock vertical link, maybe you know something they don't.

Some of these shops just kill me. Comments like this make me question their findings and products.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The GT4 is, but the fp350s is very close to stock. Yet both cars use the stock vertical links. Please educate Ford on all your testing that justifies needing to "upgrade" them. If they deemed it necessary to change the entire lower control arm, yet they retained the stock vertical link, maybe you know something they don't.

Some of these shops just kill me. Comments like this make me question their findings and products.
Over 30+ years in the industry working in conjunction with Ford Motor Company on many projects & you are questioning our integrity & expertise in the field? You are basically saying Ford Motor Company is the end all, be all in terms of their set-up ... so why would any enthusiast set-up their car any differently? Why does the aftermarket even exist?

Not much we are going to say to change your opinion & feedback - all we can do is point to our racing heritage & agree to disagree.

TJ

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello 3er,

When you provide a budget, our goal is to maximize your budget & get you the most bang for your buck. Yes, we can get you a $1000 package that will be a huge upgrade & transform your car ... but we are going to take you to that next level given your budget parameters. It's like buying a house, yes there are values below your price point ... but there are also houses as your price pice that offer exactly what you are looking for.

Your best bet is to call either BMR or talk to Rod directly - we can provide you an if ... then that scenario, ultimately achieving your goals - both financially & on the street.

TJ

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Over 30+ years in the industry working in conjunction with Ford Motor Company on many projects & you are questioning our integrity & expertise in the field? You are basically saying Ford Motor Company is the end all, be all in terms of their set-up ... so why would any enthusiast set-up their car any differently? Why does the aftermarket even exist?

Not much we are going to say to change your opinion & feedback - all we can do is point to our racing heritage & agree to disagree.

TJ
If it's such a slam-dunk improvement like you claim, please tell me why Ford didnt "upgrade" the OEM vertical link with a $1-200 piece like yours or BMR or make their own replacement, when they made an entirely new lower arm for the GT4?

Justifying working with Ford and being in business for 30+ years is not an umbrella justification for buying a given part, especially when it's need is in question.

Ford didn't change the link in the GT4 or fp350s because it's a waste of time and not needed.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Eritas - the floor is yours ... what is your background & expertise - would like to know what makes you an expert in the field so we can respond and know whom we are speaking with.

In theory, CAIs & other aftermarket parts that offer an upgrade are a waste of time & money since Ford didn't upgrade them from the factory, correct?

I will admit, I don't have the technical background that Steeda Tech does ... I am in Marketing & Communications ... so I don't have the testing & institutional knowledge like Steeda Tech does. I want to ensure we know who our audience is for the technical portion of this conversation.

TJ

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Eritas - the floor is yours ... what is your background & expertise - would like to know what makes you an expert in the field so we can respond and know whom we are speaking with.

In theory, CAIs & other aftermarket parts that offer an upgrade are a waste of time & money since Ford didn't upgrade them from the factory, correct?

I will admit, I don't have the technical background that Steeda Tech does ... I am in Marketing & Communications ... so I don't have the testing & institutional knowledge like Steeda Tech does. I want to ensure we know who our audience is for the technical portion of this conversation.

TJ
Now you're deflecting.

I'm pointing out facts. Ford sells two very expensive and highly developed racecars and put a lot of testing and engineering into them and did not change out the cheap vertical link. WHY?

If it's so important, they would have. Now you're trying to sell me on a possibly unnecessary link to make money. BMR was surprisingly open and honest and say aftermarket links are "over rated" yet they still sell them. This gives them a lot more credibility than you (at least to me) and I'm now more inclined to buy from them for a given compnent than you with your "buy everything we make and sell because we are the best and everything we make, you NEED" attitude.

Now you're bringing up an irrelevant CAI comment. I'm sure there's more sound, nvh, and emmissions crap that Ford needs to meet in the OEM for a regular mustang that aren't as big of a drawback when looking for outright performance in their power pak kits - that keep the warranty. But go on with your deflections and try to ignore my question why Ford didnt change out the vertical link in their racecars. Maybe go ask your co-workers before posting comments like this that hurts Steedas credibility.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not deflecting - asking an honest question, what is your background & expertise? If we are going to have this conversation ... it is best to know what credibility you bring to the table if you are questioning Steeda's abilities and challenging our level of testing.

I just read both statements - in no way did we push our product or say we are the best at everything we make. We offer a broad portfolio to meet market demand & if an enthusiast doesn't think a part is for them - they don't have to buy it!

Open invite - I will put you in contact with our engineering & race testing teams - let me know what time/day you are available - we'll make it work. This will allow you & our team to discuss everything in real-time ... closing the loop & ensuring you get all the information you need from your above statements.

You can send to [email protected] -- I will make the connection. If you are afraid to call from your number - we can set-up a call-in number & you can call in from wherever you wish.

We will extend this courtesy to you ... being both in FL, we should be able to work this out time wise.

Look forward to connecting you with our team (chances are, you won't respond but the invite is open).

Best Regards,

TJ

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Very good responses from Steeda and BMR. No further explanation needed! As usual, professionalism from two very good companies.

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
What about the FP Track Handling Pack? One thing that affects handling nearly as much as tires is how the suspension as a whole works together. Some times you can mix and match vendors to get the handling you desire, but often it seems that companies offering a whole package will do a better job of tuning their suspension packages than most of us can unless your a very seasoned track rat and really understand your particular car's deficiencies and how to address them.

Ford Performance Track Handling Package runs about $1100: https://www.levittownfordparts.com/ford-performance-mustang-track-handling-pack-p-7431.html

I would imagine a 2015-2017 PP GT with just a good set of tires, FP Track Handling Pack and Power Pack 2 is one heck of a fast and fun car on both the track and street. I doubt you can find a faster setup for the price and I imagine you will embarrass some much more expensive cars. Handling is typically 50% of the game on a well balanced track. Small technical tracks place a premium on handling while larger tracks like Willow Springs favor big power. So it all depends on your needs. The Track Handling Pack isn't just great on the track, it's also excellent for winding back country roads if that's your flavor (what I do mostly).

I'm currently running BMR SP080's on stock PP struts and it's certainly an improvement over factory PP springs. Just a hair stiffer, but the lower center of gravity combined with a slight increase in spring rate really seems to reduce body roll by quite a bit. Yes it still has some roll, but it does handle pretty good fianlly. Both the Cradle Lockout and Toe Links really got rid of any slop in the rear, they work very well together. Both handling and power delivery wise.

I was a bit surprised at how much roll is in the factory Performance Package suspension, it also seemed prone to oscillation or "bounce". It's really not a very aggressive setup (not like what I was expecting) and leaves a very substantial amount of performance on the table that I think should have come from the factory. Then again they make more money if they get you buy it after the fact...

It's almost like the PP springs, struts and sway bars should have been on the base model and the FP Track Handling Pack should have been the factory Performance Package suspension setup. But SP080's, CB05 and FP Toe Link bearings are a good low cost alternative if you just want a refined PP setup without dropping so much coin into it. Once I to around 50k miles and get a year or two of experience with the car as is now I'm planning to upgrade to the Track Handling Pack myself.

Reactions: 3er

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
What about the FP Track Handling Pack? One thing that affects handling nearly as much as tires is how the suspension as a whole works together. Some times you can mix and match vendors to get the handling you desire, but often it seems that companies offering a whole package will do a better job of tuning their suspension packages than most of us can unless your a very seasoned track rat and really understand your particular car's deficiencies and how to address them.

Ford Performance Track Handling Package runs about $1100: https://www.levittownfordparts.com/ford-performance-mustang-track-handling-pack-p-7431.html

I would imagine a 2015-2017 PP GT with just a good set of tires, FP Track Handling Pack and Power Pack 2 is one heck of a fast and fun car on both the track and street. I doubt you can find a faster setup for the price and I imagine you will embarrass some much more expensive cars. Handling is typically 50% of the game on a well balanced track. Small technical tracks place a premium on handling while larger tracks like Willow Springs favor big power. So it all depends on your needs. The Track Handling Pack isn't just great on the track, it's also excellent for winding back country roads if that's your flavor (what I do mostly).

I'm currently running BMR SP080's on stock PP struts and it's certainly an improvement over factory PP springs. Just a hair stiffer, but the lower center of gravity combined with a slight increase in spring rate really seems to reduce body roll by quite a bit. Yes it still has some roll, but it does handle pretty good fianlly. Both the Cradle Lockout and Toe Links really got rid of any slop in the rear, they work very well together. Both handling and power delivery wise.

I was a bit surprised at how much roll is in the factory Performance Package suspension, it also seemed prone to oscillation or "bounce". It's really not a very aggressive setup (not like what I was expecting) and leaves a very substantial amount of performance on the table that I think should have come from the factory. Then again they make more money if they get you buy it after the fact...

It's almost like the PP springs, struts and sway bars should have been on the base model and the FP Track Handling Pack should have been the factory Performance Package suspension setup. But SP080's, CB05 and FP Toe Link bearings are a good low cost alternative if you just want a refined PP setup without dropping so much coin into it. Once I to around 50k miles and get a year or two of experience with the car as is now I'm planning to upgrade to the Track Handling Pack myself.
If you're interested in the track handling pack, I would recommend BMR SP083s and Ford Racing dampers instead. I had the springs and shocks from the track handling pack and ending up swapping the springs for a linear rate and SP083 hit the mark. Just my personal opinion. But nevertheless the track handling pack is a good piece of kit for sure.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not deflecting - asking an honest question, what is your background & expertise? If we are going to have this conversation ... it is best to know what credibility you bring to the table if you are questioning Steeda's abilities and challenging our level of testing.

I just read both statements - in no way did we push our product or say we are the best at everything we make. We offer a broad portfolio to meet market demand & if an enthusiast doesn't think a part is for them - they don't have to buy it!

Open invite - I will put you in contact with our engineering & race testing teams - let me know what time/day you are available - we'll make it work. This will allow you & our team to discuss everything in real-time ... closing the loop & ensuring you get all the information you need from your above statements.

You can send to [email protected] -- I will make the connection. If you are afraid to call from your number - we can set-up a call-in number & you can call in from wherever you wish.

We will extend this courtesy to you ... being both in FL, we should be able to work this out time wise.

Look forward to connecting you with our team (chances are, you won't respond but the invite is open).

Best Regards,

TJ
I appreciate the offer but I was comparing Ford's credibility to yours. Talking to your engineers would be much better since you sound like a marketing guy who just throws around comments like "national competitors winning on aftermarket links" to sell potentially unnecessary components.

Meanwhile, "Ford wins national Pro-level races using stock vertical links."

My armchair quarterback forum talk and background doesn't mean anything because i'm not selling anything.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you're interested in the track handling pack, I would recommend BMR SP083s and Ford Racing dampers instead. I had the springs and shocks from the track handling pack and ending up swapping the springs for a linear rate and SP083 hit the mark. Just my personal opinion. But nevertheless the track handling pack is a good piece of kit for sure.
I would second this.

OP
OP
3er

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 Prestige, 2016 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4, 2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium
So far, I'm most interested in the following based on @BMR Tech recommendation. There's obviously been a lot of great advice thus far. Also still interested in any shop recommendations in the Houston area (preferably westside).
Sponsored