Sponsored

Suspension Recommendation ~$2,500

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 Prestige, 2016 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4, 2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The first major modification I will do for my '18 GT PP1 will be a complete suspension overhaul. My goals are as follows:
  • Would like to stay in the ~$2,500 mark for suspension components, excluding installation
  • Install a well-dampened setup, as the majority of my time will be on the street (i.e., avoid commonly over-dampened setups)
  • Setup the car to handle more power (will not be a drag car, but needs to "hook up")
  • Setup the car to handle more grip (will upgrade to 305 front / 315 rear setup)
  • Eliminate a good bit of the wheel gap
So far, I've come up with the following. What am I missing? What is unnecessary or will detract from my goals? Are there alternative products I should consider?
43817872622_7c17b544d9_h.jpg
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
MUSTANG TRACK HANDLING PACK M-FR3A-M8A

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would select different springs and dampers and would go for the TCA048 vertical links vs the delrin ones.

To handle that extra grip I'd personally recommend the BMR SP083 Handling springs (make sure it's rev C) along with the Ford Performance Track Handling dampers. It's a firmer car for sure, but one that is extremely well controlled and isn't harsh.

The rest looks good!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say enjoy it a bit more as is and wait for the new Koni Active system to come out later this year.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Is any track time envisioned?

There are other options for camber plates - BMR's at similar $, or Vorshlag's if your budget has a little 'stretch' in it.

Norm

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You can look at my build log to see much of what Steeda offers. I'd also recommend Swift Spec R springs - they're excellent and so is Swift (the company) in general.

Ford Performance doesn't offer remotely as much product as does Steeda (or BMR). The FP track shocks are a good value, that's for sure, although whenever I'm in a car with them it's a harsh ride despite not having that high of spring rates compared to my own car (matter of preference in the end). I don't personally know anyone that kept their track lowering springs, instead opting to spend more money for different springs to improve their ride or aesthetics.

But let's see, Steeda offers of course dampers (Koni-based but with specific increased rebound control valving that they developed for improved performance), frame/subframe bracing, a complete line of springs from street to track using modern technology (i.e., not with a dependency on linear rate springs when many of today's best performing factory and race cars us progressive or dual rate designs), bushing replacements and supports that fill more of the gaps than the competition (some of which are obvious copies), all the vertical link options you actually need with appropriately-sized poly or delrin bushings for real longevity, functional aero options in a market with so few real options, and they test everything on their own cars (not customer's cars). Plus, Steeda's product design program includes actual in-house suspension design engineers with a history of FoMoCo and/or racing experience. Also, I wonder where the new GT500's wing came (was copied) from (a'hem, Steeda Functional Race Wing). Hell, Steeda was included in the 10 millionth mustang celebration at Ford HQ.

I mean... Steeda isn't perfect. I wish their powdercoating, especially anything silver-colored was thicker, personally. Look, you can like other parts better, that's fine. But ignoring Steeda's options is not to the OP's benefit.

OP
OP
3er

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 Prestige, 2016 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4, 2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Is any track time envisioned?

There are other options for camber plates - BMR's at similar $, or Vorshlag's if your budget has a little 'stretch' in it.

Norm
The car's primary purpose will be for the street, so I want to prioritize the setup for that application. Light track duty may be in the cards, but I wouldn't want to compromise street manners. I'll take a look at those camber plates!

Sponsored
OP
OP
3er

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
I would select different springs and dampers and would go for the TCA048 vertical links vs the delrin ones.

To handle that extra grip I'd personally recommend the BMR SP083 Handling springs (make sure it's rev C) along with the Ford Performance Track Handling dampers. It's a firmer car for sure, but one that is extremely well controlled and isn't harsh.

The rest looks good!
I've heard good things about those springs and I'll take a look at your suggestions - thanks!

OP
OP
3er

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
You can look at my build log to see much of what Steeda offers. I'd also recommend Swift Spec R springs - they're excellent and so is Swift (the company) in general.

Ford Performance doesn't offer remotely as much product as does Steeda (or BMR). The FP track shocks are a good value, that's for sure, although whenever I'm in a car with them it's a harsh ride despite not having that high of spring rates compared to my own car (matter of preference in the end). I don't personally know anyone that kept their track lowering springs, instead opting to spend more money for different springs to improve their ride or aesthetics.

But let's see, Steeda offers of course dampers (Koni-based but with specific increased rebound control valving that they developed for improved performance), frame/subframe bracing, a complete line of springs from street to track using modern technology (i.e., not with a dependency on linear rate springs when many of today's best performing factory and race cars us progressive or dual rate designs), bushing replacements and supports that fill more of the gaps than the competition (some of which are obvious copies), all the vertical link options you actually need with appropriately-sized poly or delrin bushings for real longevity, functional aero options in a market with so few real options, and they test everything on their own cars (not customer's cars). Plus, Steeda's product design program includes actual in-house suspension design engineers with a history of FoMoCo and/or racing experience. Also, I wonder where the new GT500's wing came (was copied) from (a'hem, Steeda Functional Race Wing). Hell, Steeda was included in the 10 millionth mustang celebration at Ford HQ.

I mean... Steeda isn't perfect. I wish their powdercoating, especially anything silver-colored was thicker, personally. Look, you can like other parts better, that's fine. But ignoring Steeda's options is not to the OP's benefit.
Nice write-up. I have nothing at all against Steeda. Really, I just picked some parts off a bit of research, but your response is exactly why I wanted to create the thread. I've heard such good things about Koni over the years and so the fact that Steeda leverages a tuned version is encouraging. Not to put you out too much...would you happen to have a recommended list of parts based on my goals?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Steeda's camber plates are what I have. Vorshlags are nice, but many say it raises the front a little and they're extremely expensive for just the street. Steeda plates are for me no doubt the best option compared to BMR. I've had both.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you're not going to see the track much, I would think some BMR SP080 lowering springs might good. They're a smidge heavier than the PP springs, will pair well with Konis on softer settings, and lower the car with a front leaning stance nicely. The koni shocks alone are a nice handling upgrade.

The next step up in stiffness would be the Steeda Sport or Ultralite linears. Both of those BMR and Steeda options lower the car a bit much for my tastes. (1" or more in the front).

A step up in height and stiffness would be the GT350 Track Pack and GT350R springs. The R's are lower and stiffer than the Track Pack springs, but both are stiffer than the Steeda Liners and BMR Performance springs.

Next up would be the BMR Handling springs and then Steeda Dual rate Comp springs, which are both track/handling focused and pretty stiff compared to most of the others.

Reactions: 3er
OP
OP
3er

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
I'd say enjoy it a bit more as is and wait for the new Koni Active system to come out later this year.
Just saw Steeda's preview of the system and it sure looks impressive!
Sponsored