Sponsored

Suspension Malfunction Error after Spring Install, Dealer fix only ?

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 foxbody 347, 17' GT350 Avalanche(SOLD), 2019 GT350R KR711
20200419_150122.jpg
Over the winter I did FP springs, sway bars, cradle lockout kit and centering sleeves. This past weekend was the first time i started the car since then, the screen is now showing a "Driver Selectable Suspension Malfunction Service Required" error, wont let me change the drive modes at all but does allow the exhaust to open, and steering mode change, just no changing the suspension. I checked all the connectors on the front and rear suspension everything is good. Has anyone ran into this ? Do i absolutely have to bring it in to the dealer to scan or is there something i can do to reset the magnaride system or something ? Thanks guys
Sponsored

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Might try disconnecting the battery overnight.

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tried multiple times, the battery was out all winter charging on a trickle.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Might be that the new ride height has triggered or is throwing off the suspension’s position sensor zero height.

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might be that the new ride height has triggered or is throwing off the suspension’s position sensor zero height.
I'm thinking along those same lines, I just have never come across anyone mentioning anything like this or process after installing suspension parts

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Over the winter I did FP springs, sway bars, cradle lockout kit and centering sleeves. This past weekend was the first time i started the car since then, the screen is now showing a "Driver Selectable Suspension Malfunction Service Required" error, wont let me change the drive modes at all but does allow the exhaust to open, and steering mode change, just no changing the suspension. I checked all the connectors on the front and rear suspension everything is good. Has anyone ran into this ? Do i absolutely have to bring it in to the dealer to scan or is there something i can do to reset the magnaride system or something ? Thanks guys
Did you mechanically detach the ride height sensors when you did all this to make sure they weren't damaged? Have you recalibrated the Vehicle Dynamics Module for the new setup? It's pretty clever about finding errors in the suspension, so if you've done a bunch of changes that affect ride height, it's probably panicking because it's world isn't what it's supposed to be.

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you mechanically detach the ride height sensors when you did all this to make sure they weren't damaged? Have you recalibrated the Vehicle Dynamics Module for the new setup? It's pretty clever about finding errors in the suspension, so if you've done a bunch of changes that affect ride height, it's probably panicking because it's world isn't what it's supposed to be.
How exactly do you recalibrate the module ? This I was unaware of, so nothing was done besides the install. All sensors were unplugged and detached correctly while I was doing it, I don't think any damage was physically done

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Can the recalibration be done through Forscan? Is there another procedure?

In any case, hooking it up to Forscan is probably a good idea to get the codes you’re throwing. It’ll narrow down the problem area.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
This may sound like a dumb question but did you make sure you got the right FP springs, compatible with Magnaride? There are a few different part #s for these.

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This may sound like a dumb question but did you make sure you got the right FP springs, compatible with Magnaride? There are a few different part #s for these.
I sure as hell hope so, the kit i ordered was the spring and sway bar kit for GT350s. I'll get the numbers off the springs tonight to double check

Sponsored
OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can the recalibration be done through Forscan? Is there another procedure?

In any case, hooking it up to Forscan is probably a good idea to get the codes you’re throwing. It’ll narrow down the problem area.

Before I go digging through endless threads on here, is there a simple explanation on how to get Forscan? I don't have the system nor are familiar with what I need for it

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Reset procedure had something to do with supporting the car on all 4’s and letting the wheels hang at full droop. Then resetting the sensors, and putting it on the ground to adjust for the new ride height.

I’m just not sure if you had to disconnect the battery while all 4 wheels were at full droop, or if you had to reset the system with a Ford tool. I sent you my buddy Trent’s number to call

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Reset procedure had something to do with supporting the car on all 4’s and letting the wheels hang at full droop. Then resetting the sensors, and putting it on the ground to adjust for the new ride height.

I’m just not sure if you had to disconnect the battery while all 4 wheels were at full droop, or if you had to reset the system with a Ford tool. I sent you my buddy Trent’s number to call
Actually, hanging the car in the air is the calibration procedure for the GT350R. The non-R procedure is done with the car on level ground with the suspension settled at normal ride height. It can't be done with Forscan - not because Forscan couldn't do it but because it's not programmed into Forscan. Maybe in a future edition.

Meanwhile, if you need it, it's done with IDS or an aftermarket equivalent from Snap-on or someone like that. Dealer level tools required.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
How exactly do you recalibrate the module ? This I was unaware of, so nothing was done besides the install. All sensors were unplugged and detached correctly while I was doing it, I don't think any damage was physically done
I know I raised the calibration issue, but lots of people change their springs and don't have this problem, so it's probably something else like a loose connector or a pinched wire. You say you unplugged the sensors - there are four, one at each wheel, mounted between the lower control arms and the chassis. You unplugged and dismounted those, correct? And then re-installed them the right way around, correct? Also, you had to unplug the struts and shocks from the system. I'd go back over the wiring carefully and make sure all the connectors are properly seated. Some, like the rear shock connectors, can be challenging to unplug and replug. If any connector is loose, you'll get the error you're getting. Forscan (I think) can tell you where to look if it's a wiring problem. It can't help with calibration, afaik.
Sponsored