Sponsored

Suspension issue

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 shadow black V6 6spd
Suspension guys:

I got an issue I noticed yesterday when backing up and pulling out of work and now again this morning.

When backing up and turning the wheel either direction, it feels like the front wheels get in a bind and then pops sending a jolt to the steering wheel. It also happens when pulling forward and turning.

Seems It Only does it with sharp turns.

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It could be the strut mounts since you are lowered. I had a popping noise that developed after lowering so I fixed it with Steeda strut mounts. Maybe a loose sway bar endlink. The endlink nuts need to be really tight or they'll pop.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Sounds like a bad upper strut roller bearing not allowing the spring/strut assembly to rotate properly and you're hearing and feeling the spring BONG after it releases from binding. Not safe. Please have this properly fixed as typically installation causes it.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Give Mike D. or John at Steeda call - they can help diagnose your issue & provide support.

You can call John at 1800 950 0774.

TJ

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone, car still has warranty only 26k miles. I will look into the dealer first, or see what I can do aftermarket.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
It is likely one of, or a culmination of the following:

1: Upper Strut Mounts, damaged / unseated.

2: Spring Mounting to strut, damaged / unseated (lower isolator/perch)

3: Sway bar assembly, loose links or damaged bushings/links

Good luck and keep us updated!

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could the tires possibly be causing it? Someone on another forum mentioned that summer tires in cold weather could cause the issue. Although I’ve never encountered an issue like this before in any of my vehicles that was related to the tires

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In for results, cause mine does this first thing in the morning when I'm turning out of the garage. It will 'pop' in the steering a couple of times if I hold a near-full lock steering angle, and its enough to slightly rock the chassis. Never noticed it at any other times.

I was guessing maybe tire clearance with plastic liners or something. My car isn't lowered, but I did replace shocks, and I am on +30 offset 285 tires / 10" wheels. I can't remember if the car does it on the factory PP wheels. Its plausible that I installed the shock hats wrong, but the car behaves well otherwise.

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah normal driving conditions I have zero issues with the car. Just odd that people are saying the tires are the cause of the problem.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I have the exact same problem. I run my car hard on the track every month (HPDE) and daily drive it... it doesn't effect aggressive nor normal driving at all and I don't ever hear the pop unless I'm at full steering lock and initiate movement from a full stop. Also... it only seems to happen when reversing.

I'm curious as to the cause. I was under the impression that there may be some kind of bind in the suspension under this particular circumstance, but couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. I don't suspect it to be an installation issue with the strut assembly nor the sway bar.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the exact same problem. I run my car hard on the track every month (HPDE) and daily drive it... it doesn't effect aggressive nor normal driving at all and I don't ever hear the pop unless I'm at full steering lock and initiate movement from a full stop. Also... it only seems to happen when reversing.

I'm curious as to the cause. I was under the impression that there may be some kind of bind in the suspension under this particular circumstance, but couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. I don't suspect it to be an installation issue with the strut assembly nor the sway bar.
I noticed it at full lock pulling forwards at slow speed as well. But mainly it’s been when backing up.

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Same issue here, mine only has 2k miles on the car, only noticed it when the temp was VERY cold on summer tires. All factory parts. Pulling out of parking space at work, and only when turning 90 degrees or more

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like scrub on cold tires. The inside tire has more lock than the outside (because designed ackerman), and at full lock, will have a tendency to get dragged briefly upon initial forward or reverse movement. Because it's cold, it skips and grips, skips and grips, which gets fed back into the rack.

blueovals550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT350
It is likely one of, or a culmination of the following:

1: Upper Strut Mounts, damaged / unseated.

2: Spring Mounting to strut, damaged / unseated (lower isolator/perch)

3: Sway bar assembly, loose links or damaged bushings/links

Good luck and keep us updated!
I have noticed my car doing this as well. It only does it when backing up and turning the wheel to near full lock. Like when backing out of a parking spot. It only does it once. Car does not handle differently while driving. It seems to only do it in cold weather also. Car is lowered on BMR SP080 springs and i am also running their camber bolts. Car has been lowered for over a year now and i just noticed this happening within the last few months.

blueovals550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT350
Same issue here, mine only has 2k miles on the car, only noticed it when the temp was VERY cold on summer tires. All factory parts. Pulling out of parking space at work, and only when turning 90 degrees or more
Mine too seems to only happen when VERY cold. Same here pulling out of parking space at work. It never happens even when its very cold when i leave house in the morning. I park in the garage. Maybe the extreme cold has something to do with it.
Sponsored