Supercharger Surge Help!

Gabefuu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I got tunes from multiple tuners and I feel like it just comes down to which feels best for you and which one has the least issues. None of them feel 100% unless your WOT. But thankfully my gt is a weekend car and I don’t have to deal with the small issues daily. I might eventually sell the Odin and go With Twin 🐌 instead. Anyone in Houston Tx let me know if your interested in a discounted 2018+ Vmp odin. 😉
Sponsored

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 2014, ROUSH II 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Accidently, I was checking VMP website for Pulleys and when I saw the Odin kit listing, pulley jumped from 88 to 92, Injectors dropped from 95 to 56 ?? Is it because the FIC1000 are difficult to twist ? Does that mean power levels will drop ? Guess new customers will tell us!

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I feel like it just comes down to which feels best for you and which one has the least issues. None of them feel 100% unless your WOT.
Not my experience. My tuner has mine running 100% regardless of throttle position, speed, etc.

Drivability is perfect from idle to redline. So it can be done.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Not my experience. My tuner has mine running 100% regardless of throttle position, speed, etc.

Drivability is perfect from idle to redline. So it can be done.
Local tuner? No issues on cold start?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Absolutely perfect, I would say better than the OEM Ford calibration.

Check my signature at the bottom. Many folks report the same results with this tuner, definitely not an anomaly.

Sponsored

Superman112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT performance package
Hey guys,

My buddy who owns the same car as me a 2021 Mustang GT PP just got his VMP Odin installed. Making 704whp!!! However... hes having partial throttle surging issues. When he called his tuner, he said it's due to the RTR grille allowing too much air, which I find a little suspicious that a slightly more open grille is causing surge issues? Maybe I'm wrong, but is there a fix for this? He was told to put cardboard in the grille on go back to stock.

I'm also wondering if I will have the same issue putting a gen 5 whipple 3.0 stage 2 on my car as I have the Cervini C series upper and lower grille.

Thanks in advance!
i Edward having the same issues and even got a code about the TB being open.. nothing worked then I removedmy JLT oil catch can and bam! Hesitate is gone not sure about your friend but if he has one he may want to look into that.

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i Edward having the same issues and even got a code about the TB being open.. nothing worked then I removedmy JLT oil catch can and bam! Hesitate is gone not sure about your friend but if he has one he may want to look into that.
which side was that removed catch can ?

Scar_50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
We have ran into this before and see it in the log. Adding a piece of cardboard is a temporary fix and usually proves to you where the issue lies.

We already know what it is but for some reason customers don't always like to take the tuners word on it even though we see the data.

The Odins are the worst about it. When a aftermarket grill that is open in front of the filter it actually causes turbulence by the maf causing the surge.

The maf sits very close to the filter which makes it even worse.

The maf is a critical sensor in controlling fueling and the engine load the car uses for many internal tq calculations.

A unstable maf signal will cause surging.

We have had them on a dyno with open grills turned the fan on and they actually struggled to idle and surged badly.
Happy I bumped into this thread- gonna go back to my stock grill this week for my Odin SC. Odín is having the same issues y’all are describing…even to the point of stalling… appreciate y’all on this thread- I’ll follow up with you Daryle once it’s taken care of.

69E32084-A051-4F6A-AB4A-5D495B775B65.jpeg

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
So im stupid and ignorant for having a discussion on possible solutions? I guess I'm the asshole because I got 1 suggestion of put cardboard in a grille and thats that... whereas there's plenty of folks running FI applications with aftermarket grilles and have never heard of that. So yeah God forbid I would like alternate options or opinions.

To add the Shelby super snake mustang runs a whipple with a more open "aftermarket grille" no cardboard, there's another well written write-up of an 850hp whipple mustang with a cervini grille, no mention of cardboard. But I suppose if you guys were to say that 5.0 coyotes run best on a mix of sugar and gas I should take your word for it too.
I agree with you. That is BS that a FI system is affected by an open grill. Something isn't designed right, or calibrated right. I'm sorry, I'm calling a bull shit flag on this one. Good luck.

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Happy I bumped into this thread- gonna go back to my stock grill this week for my Odin SC. Odín is having the same issues y’all are describing…even to the point of stalling… appreciate y’all on this thread- I’ll follow up with you Daryle once it’s taken care of.

69E32084-A051-4F6A-AB4A-5D495B775B65.jpeg
Please let us know if you noticed any improvement with the stock grille being put back on!

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
We have ran into this before and see it in the log. Adding a piece of cardboard is a temporary fix and usually proves to you where the issue lies.

We already know what it is but for some reason customers don't always like to take the tuners word on it even though we see the data.

The Odins are the worst about it. When a aftermarket grill that is open in front of the filter it actually causes turbulence by the maf causing the surge.

The maf sits very close to the filter which makes it even worse.

The maf is a critical sensor in controlling fueling and the engine load the car uses for many internal tq calculations.

A unstable maf signal will cause surging.

We have had them on a dyno with open grills turned the fan on and they actually struggled to idle and surged badly.
Welp, here is the answer that yall need....

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is relocating the MAF a viable option here? Plastic welding isn’t difficult. Seems to me that the airflow should typically become less turbulent as you move further away from the source of the issue.

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is relocating the MAF a viable option here? Plastic welding isn’t difficult. Seems to me that the airflow should typically become less turbulent as you move further away from the source of the issue.
Well, the idea seemed legit but the functionality has to be at least tested. Wanna take the bet friend!
I myself did make a close box to the Odin and blocked the driver side probably %75 and that didn't help much. However, I just flashed the revision tune then BAAAM!!! Surging is gone during idling & cruising! So, I still believe the tune ( TQ management ) is the key in adjusting volume of air based on the signal sent to the TB! That's my conclusion and I might be wrong but if you could do that and prove FORD is wrong then you could be the next Elon Musk
Sponsored