Stuck on ESS for my DD...can't decide

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
So for the past year I've been himming and hawing over what power adder to put on.

I've largely settled on ESS G2. My objective is 600hp a sprinkle above or below is fine.

But my car is my Daily driver about 150-200 miles a week.(Not a crazy amount)

I don't wanna sacrifice to much daily drive ability. Im not hard on my car at all and rarely got WoT....power for me has always been like a gun or a rocket launcher. I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I did consider nitrous again..but I wanna get back to the S/C wine. I just love it.

My gut tells me the ESS G2 fits the bill. Adding nice power, with our pushing the limits of the car.

Would y'all agree? I need some outside opinion to shove me off the cliff.
Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Sounds like a good budget option that would keep daily driving characteristics and support your power goals easily.

I think the pd blowers like whipple are more fun for daily driving as you get more torque down low but I’ve never personally drove one or a centrifugal car for that matter so maybe someone else can chime in.

If I was in your position I would choose ESS too.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
G2 with the biggest pulley (125mm) should get you close to 600 to the wheels.. the 120mm should get you closer to 640whp... so pretty simple setups there. You won't sacrifice drivability either, it will run like stock until you hit it. Do it.

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado- extremely stock
Great choice. But I will say I’m on a G3 at 800+ wheel with a Wengerd tune. It drives as smooth as stock even at that power range.

It’s not much more for the G3 and it gives you the ability to grow a little more. I am like you in the fact that I am really easy on my car, and I massively believe in overbuilding underutilizing. This being said, you will inevitably want to gradually turn it up. Atleast I did. I told myself the 125mm would be all I need for a year or so. But the supercharger sound is much more noticeable with a small pulley, and once I hit 3500~RPM, I’m GONE. The 125 was fun, I just found the need for the smaller pulley and I absolutely don’t regret it.

Wolfys11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakub
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Gt
You will always want to grow with hp.
Get a g3, its worth the money.
Its a great for the money power adder for a daily, it feels like stock, except the top end is super exagerated with “pull”. Its also great for traction, great for low rpms normal driving as its almost 0 boost there so it drives stock to 3k rpms. And most importantly, a pd blower is fun, as it has down low torque, but that always causes huge traction issues. A centri is awesome as it allows minimal tire and suspension mods to have no traction issues. Im making around 680whp on my setup, i only have drag springs and stock 265 all season tires, manual, and in second gear it mostly holds the power down without an issue. Spinning like crazy gets boring fast

Sponsored

sdskinner73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 premium GT A10 3.55s
Also interested. I drive about double what you do weekly. Have a few friends with the G3. Both over 900 to the wheels. Was recommended to get the G2, fuel system, injectors, of course the tune. (All that runs about $7K plus injector cost) I have a gen 3 coyote. Uncertain on e85 with current driving needs.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Also interested. I drive about double what you do weekly. Have a few friends with the G3. Both over 900 to the wheels. Was recommended to get the G2, fuel system, injectors, of course the tune. (All that runs about $7K plus injector cost) I have a gen 3 coyote. Uncertain on e85 with current driving needs.
On E85 you’ll be filling up a lot. For perspective, my car shows about 140 miles to empty on a full tank of E85.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Spend the extra and go G3 or G3X with the G4 intercooler. You won't regret it. You'll the power you want now, and as with most of us, you inevitably want more and you can turn that G3 up. Brevin says that the G3 outshines the G2 in every way.

Last edited:

sdskinner73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
On E85 you’ll be filling up a lot. For perspective, my car shows about 140 miles to empty on a full tank of E85.
On 93 stock, I usually get about 360-400. The plus side is there is a good source for e85 right by my job. Expecting it to drop by 30% mpg roughly from what I’m told. So like 230-280 somewhere. Just throwing out some info for OP to be aware of

Bob Lob Law

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium
On 93 stock, I usually get about 360-400. The plus side is there is a good source for e85 right by my job. Expecting it to drop by 30% mpg roughly from what I’m told. So like 230-280 somewhere. Just throwing out some info for OP to be aware of
I thought that I drove it fairly easy at getting 250-265 to E in normal driving. I took a 2.5 hr road trip and used the cruise and when I refilled it only said 330 to E. DAMN!

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Mine is usually in the 185 mile range. I must be driving like a sissy

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
If you don't like to rev a PD blower or a centri with a smaller pulley and a waste gate might fit your driving style better.

With a G2 and a 125mm pulley you won't notice much (if any) difference in power delivery until about 4k rpm.

Food for thought

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
So for the past year I've been himming and hawing over what power adder to put on.

I've largely settled on ESS G2. My objective is 600hp a sprinkle above or below is fine.

But my car is my Daily driver about 150-200 miles a week.(Not a crazy amount)

I don't wanna sacrifice to much daily drive ability. Im not hard on my car at all and rarely got WoT....power for me has always been like a gun or a rocket launcher. I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I did consider nitrous again..but I wanna get back to the S/C wine. I just love it.

My gut tells me the ESS G2 fits the bill. Adding nice power, with our pushing the limits of the car.

Would y'all agree? I need some outside opinion to shove me off the cliff.
Imho, go with the G3X with the G4 intercooler. That's what i want to get for my car as well.

sdskinner73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
I thought that I drove it fairly easy at getting 250-265 to E in normal driving. I took a 2.5 hr road trip and used the cruise and when I refilled it only said 330 to E. DAMN!
95% of my driving is highway. Home is a lot of stop and go due to rush hour. Going to work is a bit less of that, but still usually around 65-80mph depending on the day. Currently shows 24.8mpg.

I had a 3.15 gear a10 previously and got 23mpg in the year I owned it. This one has 3.55s and A10. I’ve put just over 3000 miles on it since March. I do play here and there, but apparently not as much as everyone else does lol

OP
OP
SnowFox

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
95% of my driving is highway. Home is a lot of stop and go due to rush hour. Going to work is a bit less of that, but still usually around 65-80mph depending on the day. Currently shows 24.8mpg.

I had a 3.15 gear a10 previously and got 23mpg in the year I owned it. This one has 3.55s and A10. I’ve put just over 3000 miles on it since March. I do play here and there, but apparently not as much as everyone else does lol
Sounds pretty similar to me! Good to hear.

I just need to pull the trigger. I won't be happy till I do.

Thanks all for the posts! To the cliff I go!
Sponsored