String Alignment

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’ve checked my work with lasers and I’m pretty darn accurate with strings on trash bag slip plates

1661527244649.jpeg
I thought about making a very similar setup with my RaceRamps wheel stands, except puttig the trash bag/slip plate between the wheel stand and ground instead of under the tire. Theoretically it should work out exactly the same. But since the raceramps are "rounded" for the tire to sit in, that wouldn't work directly under the tire.
Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Uh .. to hold the strings tight?
That's why you just use a small fishing reel for the line (I'm a Zebco 33 guy myself). Hanging it off the crossbar keeps the line taut.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
That's a completely reasonable kit and about as DIY as you're going to find. For the price, you can't beat it.
I got it - just have not had time to put it together yet, but looks decently done. And place is legit, shipped immediately, it's one of GRM guys I think.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I got it - just have not had time to put it together yet, but looks decently done. And place is legit, shipped immediately, it's one of GRM guys I think.
It will be awkward at first, but after 10 or 15 years, it'll be second nature, lol!

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Having not yet done string alignment, I think the awkward part must be getting the car on blocks, getting the wheels to swivel, rolling the car for settling, etc.

Setting up the string jig should be much less stressful, no?

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
There's no need to put the car on blocks, except it raises the car for easier access to the toe links. I loosen them beforehand and work by feel. NeverSatisfied's setup looks a little precarious to me. If I were set on raising the car, I might do a couple sheets of plywood to raise it only 2-3" with a wider base. The trash bag trick works well.

Setting the strings is no big deal, you just have to follow the process they've outlined. There is a little learning curve on keeping the the scale or caliper level and square. I prefer to use calipers, but a good 6" scale gets you very close.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Front alignment
Yeah, I wondered about having just enough access to the front toe links to turn them while on the floor. Good to know it's possible. Then we're just talking about a little rolling back and forth. don't intend to change anything in the front for now. Do you know how much angle is per full turn of the link?

Rear alignment
Seems like rear toe links are a different matter since they are even harder to reach. I want to install my new BMR rear toe links. I have the toe plates, and bought the HF laser level. The laser level showed 3/8" difference, equating to right-facing total thrust angle.

I calculate it to be 0.5 * Tan-1[.38 / 107] = 0.1deg per side.
Sound correct?

I think my rear total toe was 1/16" using the plates. Which is where I want it.

Otherwise, I think a string setup is in the near future for me..

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have done some of it in the past - but more to verify than to do an actual adjustment but bought this to adjust myself - got it to be entirely self dependent on alignment (even though I have good source right now).

I thought about measuring - lifting the car (have Quickjack) - adjusting - lowering - settling suspension - measuring and doing that until it's "right" but think it'll get old quickly. Also, my floor isn't level side to side, have to at the minimum have one side of the car sitting on something to level it...

But will soon put this to use as I need get rid of those SPC camber arms real soon...

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you're only doing toe, I'd take a guess that the car does not need to be sitting perfectly leveled side to side, like you'd need to dial in camber. But admittedly just an educated guess on my part.

Also an educated guess, with the trash bags under the stands, I'd think there'd be enough movement to bounce on the car up and down directions to enduce enough settling to check your work...no?
Sponsored