Sponsored

Street Style Ecoboost Drift Build

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I've only played around with it a couple times, when I wanted to get my drifting fix so not super experienced on it but you don't really need or want ABS while drifting so its not a problem if it disables ABS. I'm not sure if it does or not, the people I know who disconnect it do it for the steering feel. Its a 4 wire connector on the driver's front wheel well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
badhaircutted

badhaircutted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Interesting, could you be more specific on the connector? What do you use to counteract the ABS?
It doesn't affect the ABS. Ford dubbed it the "dyno plug" so when the rear wheel speed doesn't match the front, the car doesn't freak out.

IDK why you wouldn't want ABS in a drift car unless it's a fully dedicated track car, in which case, you'd probably be doing a full replacement on the pedal setup anyway so the brake & clutch master are independent (they share the same reservoir on these cars).

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
IDK why you wouldn't want ABS in a drift car unless it's a fully dedicated track car,
Because if you touch the brakes with a lot of cornering load, the stock controller thinks you're going to crash and tries to straighten the car out (airbags work best on a straight forward impact), which is likely the exact opposite of what you actually want. It's very common with street car ABS. They do not allow much side to side speed difference on the rear.

OP
OP
badhaircutted

badhaircutted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I don't get on the forums much anymore, but I do get a lot of people on social media asking me about the car who were directed there from here, so I might as well update for posterity.

I did an inline hydro e brake setup. I don't really like the way hydro's look, but it's hard to deny their helpfulness especially on a car that drives like the S550 does. I had a vision for how I wanted to do it, and knowing it was out of my realm of ability, I handed it over to my friends at Yoi Kazokou Motorsports here in San Antonio.

It started with a chase bays hydraulic handbrake but then modifications happened to make it look how I wanted. The linkage was swapped out for a stainless one and the master was changed from a 5/8" to a 3/4" to give it less throw and fit more compact. Here's the process and end result:

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

I also got a truck to match the car. 2014 F150 supercrew, 5.0, 4WD, Tow package. I also got some clear tails for the mustang.

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

I put in some headlights and tail lights, a leveling kit, and some A/T tires. It's rad. Then went drifting more. That's all!

DDC_8088-3.jpg

Memorial Moves drone-1.jpg

image0.jpg
IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
badhaircutted

badhaircutted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Because if you touch the brakes with a lot of cornering load, the stock controller thinks you're going to crash and tries to straighten the car out (airbags work best on a straight forward impact), which is likely the exact opposite of what you actually want. It's very common with street car ABS. They do not allow much side to side speed difference on the rear.
Ah yeah I see what you're saying. By unplugging the dyno plug, it largely eliminates that effect. I'd assume most of the ABS sensing is tied into the front wheel speed sensors vs the rear? I'm no expert, but I do know what has worked over the past few years, and this has been working great.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Ah yeah I see what you're saying. By unplugging the dyno plug, it largely eliminates that effect. I'd assume most of the ABS sensing is tied into the front wheel speed sensors vs the rear? I'm no expert, but I do know what has worked over the past few years, and this has been working great.
I'm definitely trying it next time out. From what I can see (logging individual wheel speed data) & feel, when you have slip across the rear axle & try to brake, the ABS tries to even out speeds. I *think* (I don't know this as fact) that it primarily applies brake to the outside rear tire which produces an understeering moment on the entire car.

If you overcook an entry and try to trail the brakes to get the nose to tuck, it does just the opposite & creates a "nobody's home" understeer. This means you can never really attack the front side of any slow corner like you'd want. A passive brake system, or better yet, a Bosch ABS controller, would change that. Hell, a track-based ABS controller like is available for the S197 would be good enough, but they don't make one.
Sponsored