2019 S550 FORMULA DRIFT BUILD THREAD

LIONSDEN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 1995 240SX, 2013 Dodge 2500
Hey guys, wanted to get in and introduce myself and the build in progress, hoping to get some info from some members here to help me along the build! I know that most folks on here probably aren't huge into the drifting scene, but this should be an amazing platform for what we are shooting for! Looking to do a similar build to Justin Pawlak's FD Mustang, here is a link to the build on it if you're unsure of who I'm referring to - . So far we have taken a 2019 Mustang GT with 1,107 miles on it down to (almost) bare bones, still have a lot of modifcation left to do on it, but will be getting into wiring shortly and would love some help... I will list out parts ordered and plans for the build, as well as some photos, any thoughts or feedback would be great! Coming from a LS Swapped 240sx platform, so will be a bit of a learning curve.
Build Plans -
Using 5.0 stock block, changing to metal oil pan w/ oil filter relocation, adding Roush Supercharger/intake, long tube headers, etc... After tuning want to achieve approx 780-800hp to be competitive. Ordered a Lethal Performance dual clutch stated to be good for 1,000 hp, a short shifter assembly, and some other go fast parts.
Car is being sent May 10th for chassis to be stitch welded, tube framed, and caged, while the car is there, a rear mount radiator, fuel cell, and supercharger intercooler will be installed, as well as fire suppression system and fresh air system. Also installing a custom made quick change rear end, for when we start breaking things on the track.
Also on the way is a full body Feal 441+ coilover kit, FDF front angle kit, and an RTR Widebody rivet on kit.
Should be installing seat mounts and sparco seats tomorrow, seat mounts came from Fathouse Fab, and I have to say they are STUPID lightweight! excited to test fit it all in.
Sikky Wilwood dual caliper kit, plus a standalone hydraulic e-brake
Some things I'm obviously forgetting, but we will get there!
Pulling motor (hopefully) tonight, so we can start building engine and doing wiring
Now, a couple of questions I have for you guys, any help would be GREATLY appreciated --

1) Removed factory steering shaft for the time being to strip it down, we are going to be using the factory Electronic power steering, buttttt- I noticed that the sensor made into the wiper stalk assembly will not allow the p/s rack to operate with it unplugged... any ideas on a bypass?
2) The coilovers supposedly are just a strut in the rear and still utilize the factory spring sitting on the control arm, has anyone seen any control arms/coilover setups that remove the factory spring setup in the rear??
3) Using factory hanress, going to de-pin and remove all wiring not neccessary, it will be a task but should make everything a bit more reliable, any tips on what to go ahead and chop out?
4) Is any other program besides HP Tuners available to remove factory VATS/PATS on the PCM? We have a Ford Dealership and access to VCM but can't seem to delete it from that side, maybe there is a bypass there as well to help with the Electric power steering deal in question 1?

Will keep this thread updated throughout the whole build, here are some photos of current stage with car (almost) completely stripped out!

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
LIONSDEN

LIONSDEN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Ok so a bit more progress, and was able to find some answers to my questions thanks to some help from other mustang drifters... thanks JTP! Have engine/trans pulled, not photo’d, but all factory wiring in engine bay and crap against firewall removed. Now... big change, I am selling the gen 3 engine/trans combo, and have a gen 2 package coming. Jason @ Link ECU gave me a ton of GREAT information, really appreciated that, and told that it is basically impossible at the time to run the Gen3 coyote on a standalone, as it runs on a dual injection (direct injection and port injection) so we are swapping to a gen 2 so we just have port injection. Still staying roush supercharger, so not much has to change there, everything else ordered bolts up! Going to swap to solid mounts before we drop the engine back in. Now, for the electronic steering, and thanks to JTP for the recommendation, I have Ordered the Cortex racing standalone steering module, which will simplify this rack heavily! Sparco seats and Fathouse fab mounts are here, test fitted the driver seat today, forgot to get pics of the mounts, will update more tomorrow!

CF514117-D744-40D7-8A70-E2B8997FF9E7.jpeg

BBC7F6B2-02CC-4FC1-906B-2EB1004BBBDC.jpeg

8E1D6DE5-D161-4CD2-9B53-B33C0BFB7E47.jpeg

9D15E3A2-4FB8-4AFE-9242-45F8B9D43FFF.jpeg

78306391-E4DD-44A6-A115-25E6F9BAD865.jpeg

8EE55104-293D-4EA8-B885-BBBEA3512D39.jpeg

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Looking forward to following this thread.

So this will be a pro2 car?

A couple thoughts:

You keeping the stock MT82? Didn’t see a reference to an upgraded trans but may have missed it. Clutch kicks with 800whp and a dual disk clutch will grenade it fast.

Rear anti squat. You planning to adjust the rear IRS geometry to add a bunch of anti squat like Justin and JR’s cars? Not sure how competitive pro2 is these days but you’ll prob need a good bit more sidebite if you wanna be serious, especially given how heavy these cars are.

There are a number of “true coilover” setups for the rear. In the drift world a common higher quality one would be stance, tue guys at TF know their stuff. If you want REAL dampers then there’s true coilovers from both Cortex and vorshlag.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LIONSDEN

LIONSDEN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
So this will be a pro2 car?

A couple thoughts:

You keeping the stock MT82? Didn’t see a reference to an upgraded trans but may have missed it. Clutch kicks with 800whp and a dual disk clutch will grenade it fast.

Rear anti squat. You planning to adjust the rear IRS geometry to add a bunch of anti squat like Justin and JR’s cars? Not sure how competitive pro2 is these days but you’ll prob need a good bit more sidebite if you wanna be serious, especially given how heavy these cars are.
Correct, this will be a Pro-2 car (sopposedly they are changing to pro-spec next year) Should be super competitive when it gets done. Hmm, haven’t heard that the disk disk clutches seem to have a hard time, but maybe something that will save some money in the long run, I’ll do some research on that! When the car gets to Risefab he has some suspension mods to get all that in line, obviously the Feal is going to help a lot in the rear, and he is getting/making other pieces for the rear suspension, there’s not a ton of availability of those parts online. Obviously pro-2 has some different specs of what you can do to modify suspension and strut towers, so a full standalone coilover in the back mounted to strut tower doesnt seem to be a feasible option at the time. Oh, and yes I am keeping the stock trans for this season, required H-pattern shifter, after will upgrade to 4 spd trans most of those guys are running

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Interesting.

I’d def keep an extra tranny or two on hand at all times so long as you’re using the MT82.

Did you mean to write wisefab? If so they know about anti squat. If the rules allow I’d highly recommend to add as much anti squat as possible. Coilovers will help with damping but you need as much help as you can get with the geometry to drive those wheels into the pavement. Look at all the competitive pro cars they all lift the front inside wheel now in large part due to the massive anti squat they run.

Back in the day we all just ice skated around till the first teams started looking at how dirt track guys get traction and then everything changed in pro1 as the guys who were not changing geometry were left behind real quick.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LIONSDEN

LIONSDEN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Interesting.

I’d def keep an extra tranny or two on hand at all times so long as you’re using the MT82.

Did you mean to write wisefab? If so they know about anti squat. If the rules allow I’d highly recommend to add as much anti squat as possible. Coilovers will help with damping but you need as much help as you can get with the geometry to drive those wheels into the pavement. Look at all the competitive pro cars they all lift the front inside wheel now in large part due to the massive anti squat they run.

Back in the day we all just ice skated around till the first teams started looking at how dirt track guys get traction and then everything changed in pro1 as the guys who were not changing geometry were left behind real quick.
*Risefab ** RISE Fabrication, shop around 1hr from me specializes in drift/race car fabrication, he has done all fab/suspension work on a good amount of pro-2 cars, does a killer job.
Thank you for all the information, like I said I’m new into the mustang platform when it comes to Motorsport, used to the ol’ nissan, so all of this is very helpful!

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Sure thing. Yeah this chassis is great, just heavier than what you’re used to. I came to this platform from an S14 so I’m with you. Good luck!

Trevor@FatFab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo GT350
Ok so a bit more progress, and was able to find some answers to my questions thanks to some help from other mustang drifters... thanks JTP! Have engine/trans pulled, not photo’d, but all factory wiring in engine bay and crap against firewall removed. Now... big change, I am selling the gen 3 engine/trans combo, and have a gen 2 package coming. Jason @ Link ECU gave me a ton of GREAT information, really appreciated that, and told that it is basically impossible at the time to run the Gen3 coyote on a standalone, as it runs on a dual injection (direct injection and port injection) so we are swapping to a gen 2 so we just have port injection. Still staying roush supercharger, so not much has to change there, everything else ordered bolts up! Going to swap to solid mounts before we drop the engine back in. Now, for the electronic steering, and thanks to JTP for the recommendation, I have Ordered the Cortex racing standalone steering module, which will simplify this rack heavily! Sparco seats and Fathouse fab mounts are here, test fitted the driver seat today, forgot to get pics of the mounts, will update more tomorrow!

CF514117-D744-40D7-8A70-E2B8997FF9E7.jpeg

BBC7F6B2-02CC-4FC1-906B-2EB1004BBBDC.jpeg

8E1D6DE5-D161-4CD2-9B53-B33C0BFB7E47.jpeg

9D15E3A2-4FB8-4AFE-9242-45F8B9D43FFF.jpeg

78306391-E4DD-44A6-A115-25E6F9BAD865.jpeg

8EE55104-293D-4EA8-B885-BBBEA3512D39.jpeg
Would love to see pics of the seat mounts! Looks like this is going to be a pretty cool build

OP
OP
LIONSDEN

LIONSDEN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Would love to see pics of the seat mounts! Looks like this is going to be a pretty cool build
Hey Trevor, was actually just about to post an update, so perfect timing, got some photos of the brackets especially! A few parts came in, so I will share where we are currently at! As far as the FatFab mounts, they are CRAZY light! Holy cow, they are stupid light and look amazing, its a plug and play deal hit all factory mounting points and the bolts on the seats! A+++. You'll notice in the photos I have removed the rear bolts, I really prefer the back of the seat leaned back more so I sit down into the back with my legs raised slightly, so I will need to do some trimming for the harnesses to pass through the seat!
Now, the Gen 2 motor has arrived and is now on the engine stand. Since the roush supercharger had already arrived for the Gen 3 before I decided to swap to the Gen 2, we are test fitting to make sure everything works, then we will pull back apart and build motor. Going with a lot of MMR parts for the front and bottom end and valvetrain, still looking for the right cam however.
We have the Borla HQ here in East TN, it looks like they are coming on board as a sponsor and going to be doing our custom exhaust work for this build, thinking about a side exit.... Hmmm :)
Also recieved the Cortex plug and play EPAS harness, we will see how it works in the next couple of days, hopefully as simple as it looks!

IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0515.jpg
IMG_0514.jpg
IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0512.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg
IMG_0510.jpg
IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0508.jpg

Also, made a little YT video showing progress from a few days ago so far and outlining some of the plans, plus going over the old 240, here's a link, I think people will kinda see here how happy I was about the FatFab mounts:)

OP
OP
LIONSDEN

LIONSDEN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
A few updates! Almost ready to go to get cage done, 1 week out now! Made a last minute decision to use Holley to run the coyote for the remainder of this year, and switch to link over this winter, using the Holley harness as a lead harness. Feal suspension and angle kit will be here this week, installed the Lethal Performance clutch, supercharger is done, transmission bolted back up, sitting in car and all wiring almost done! Tested the cortex kit on the EPAS and wow it works super easy. Plug and play! Super nice to have power steering on a switch! More updates will be coming frequently now! My buddy Kris stepped up and helped big time with the installation tonight!
EC284892-6420-4F2B-97AB-921174C5BE44.jpeg
B4AFA574-7C50-4C2C-9B3A-4B2B2645C5F0.png
918BD1E5-B159-400D-BC96-8BBFF434E116.png
F4740D1D-268D-44E8-8ED6-DE3353580DEF.png
D1549068-C50E-4258-A33F-AD3242FAEDD0.jpeg
008950C6-93A7-4CF2-9606-412E31836485.jpeg
DFCCB66D-1099-4C07-969F-88DD78CF6B1B.jpeg