Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
You can probably just get away with camber bolts. Plates are a better solution but bolts do the trick well for street use.
Do you have a part # for the Ford camber bolts?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
BMR, Eibach, other...
Those offset bolts kinda spook me. I'd rather do the Ford bolt with the eccentric washers & slot the strut.

Porsche puts shims in the lateral link to set track/camber. That might be an interesting design project.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen that kind of bolt for the S550 outside of what Ridetech provides with their coilovers.

SPL makes adjustable length lower control arms, though a little birdie told me that they're waiting for version 2 to continue to sell them.
I wonder if what I've seen is the S197 version? Back to a fender washer & tack weld like my old Fox from 100 years ago? Have you ever seen a problem with the cam bolts?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
SPL makes adjustable length lower control arms, though a little birdie told me that they're waiting for version 2 to continue to sell them.
Those are nice. They even went for the pinch bolts instead of jam nuts.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if what I've seen is the S197 version? Back to a fender washer & tack weld like my old Fox from 100 years ago? Have you ever seen a problem with the cam bolts?
I talked to a local parts dept. today. Ford doesn't have a S550 service camber bolt.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I have a brand new, unused set of Steeda camber bolts I'd let go for $25 shipped if you're still looking for a solution.
Thanks, I've ordered the Eibach ones.

OP
OP
Jonyxz

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
After reading some articles and seeing some videos about gas pressure in the bilstein I'm afraid they will increase the spring rate by an additional 45 lbs.

Quote: "Gas pressure directly translates into increased rod pressure, and rod pressure creates additional spring rate".

Meaning my 200lbs front minimal drop spring will feel like 245lbs springs.
Am I reading this wrong?
Are the frpp also gas pressurized as bilsteins?
Calling for the suspension gurus feedback and help on this.

reference:
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/blog/advantages-base-valve-technology-racing-base-valve-technology/

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Am I reading this wrong?
It will not feel like a 245#/in spring. The damper has 45 pounds of preload due to the internal gas spring. Of the 800 or so pounds on that corner, which turns into more than that due to the mechanical advantage of the suspension at the damper, 45 pounds will be supported by the gas pressure in the damper. This will slightly change static ride height, but you'll never notice it. The load due to the gas spring does not appreciably change due to the suspension being compresses, unlike what happens with the spring.

Any damper that has zero gas pressure will either be low quality junk or a prohibitively expensive through-rod damper. Neither is a meaningful option.

Here's the deal with Bilsteins. Put them on and they improve anything over the stock package. It's true for cars, trucks, vans....probably freight trains, too. Unless you really want to play with the settings on your dampers, these are a really good option.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
It will not feel like a 245#/in spring. The damper has 45 pounds of preload due to the internal gas spring. Of the 800 or so pounds on that corner, which turns into more than that due to the mechanical advantage of the suspension at the damper, 45 pounds will be supported by the gas pressure in the damper. This will slightly change static ride height, but you'll never notice it. The load due to the gas spring does not appreciably change due to the suspension being compresses, unlike what happens with the spring.

Any damper that has zero gas pressure will either be low quality junk or a prohibitively expensive through-rod damper. Neither is a meaningful option.

Here's the deal with Bilsteins. Put them on and they improve anything over the stock package. It's true for cars, trucks, vans....probably freight trains, too. Unless you really want to play with the settings on your dampers, these are a really good option.
Yeah I'd put them on literally everything outside of a coilover setup or wheel rates of ~270 lb/in or more. Anything in the 140-250 lb/in range will be improved by these.

OP
OP
Jonyxz

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
It will not feel like a 245#/in spring. The damper has 45 pounds of preload due to the internal gas spring. Of the 800 or so pounds on that corner, which turns into more than that due to the mechanical advantage of the suspension at the damper, 45 pounds will be supported by the gas pressure in the damper.
I'm honestly struggling to grip these concepts so I'll quote what the author of this videos comments:
SmartSelect_20200729-213926_YouTube.jpg

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
After reading some articles and seeing some videos about gas pressure in the bilstein I'm afraid they will increase the spring rate by an additional 45 lbs.

Quote: "Gas pressure directly translates into increased rod pressure, and rod pressure creates additional spring rate".

Am I reading this wrong?

reference:
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/blog/advantages-base-valve-technology-racing-base-valve-technology/

pm your contact info and I will give you accurate info.

Steeda Tech

OP
OP
Jonyxz

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80