Stock clutch durability?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Data point, and your mileage may vary:

2017 GT PP with 36k miles, lots of hard driving but no actual track / auto-x. Zero clutch issues. Only mod is a 3" Borla cat-back. Car was recently supercharged with Whipple Gen5; clutch will be pro-actively replaced next Spring as a precaution. It's really not fair to ask the stock clutch to hold so much more power and torque than its design specifies.

OP
OP

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
Stock power levels it should last a very long time as long as you aren't a moron. The 2015 to 17 are a single disk and the 18 and up are dual disk but both clutches are junk as far as shifting the car above 6000 rpm.
Now that I've had my car for half a year and some thousands of miles, I've done a few "north of 6,000" shifts...and they seem pretty clean. This car has a lot of power at that RPM level, but I'm not noticing clutch slippage or rough or jerky shifts. So far, I'm enjoying this transmission. The one thing I've disabled is the "hill holder" feature because it seems too aggressive. I had a 2012 VW GTI with a manual that had the same feature, but the VW was less intrusive. At least Ford lets you turn it off.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
over 4000RPM I don't use the clutch to shift, esp when going up the gears. If I screw up the blip on the way down I'll use some clutch pedal.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Aside from the solid answers and data suggested already, the type and size of tires you are running will be a major factor. The grippier the tires, the harder the clutch will be working. Maybe that's super obvious but I figured it should be mentioned.

I am happy to report that for me 2020 GT at least, redline shifts feel pretty good. Nothing weird noticed so far.

OP
OP

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
Aside from the solid answers and data suggested already, the type and size of tires you are running will be a major factor. The grippier the tires, the harder the clutch will be working. Maybe that's super obvious but I figured it should be mentioned.

I am happy to report that for me 2020 GT at least, redline shifts feel pretty good. Nothing weird noticed so far.
My car has 265x35x20 at all corners, but for now they are the stock Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric all seasons, so certainly not as grippy as summers and those cars with the wider 275 at the rear. Glad your car is shifting nice as well.
Sponsored