Sponsored

stock brake fluid and track day

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
So my Mustang club might participate in a track day at Talladega, looking at 5 laps with speeds in the 80 to 90mph range; certainly no more intense than Track Attack. I am going to get my oil changed prior to this, but I am curious about brake fluid. Does the Mach 1 come with the high performance DOT 4 fluid in it? Should I get that swapped out too? Anyone have a recommended one day track insurance company?
Sponsored

ChemEng44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2021 Mach 1 HP, 2021 F-Pace SVR
So my Mustang club might participate in a track day at Talladega, looking at 5 laps with speeds in the 80 to 90mph range; certainly no more intense than Track Attack. I am going to get my oil changed prior to this, but I am curious about brake fluid. Does the Mach 1 come with the high performance DOT 4 fluid in it? Should I get that swapped out too? Anyone have a recommended one day track insurance company?
How many miles are on the car now?

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
I use Lockton HPDE insurance. Iā€™ve not had a claim but have heard good things from those who have.

Brakes: I would say that for so few laps and low speeds, youā€™re probably fine with the fluid and pads you have as long as they are fresh. But might as well get the DOT4 flushed in there. Always better safe than sorry and a bottle or two isnā€™t that expensive. Besidesā€¦Youā€™ll get the bug once youā€™re on track and it all goes downhill from there. šŸ¤£

I donā€™t know what fluid might have come in your car but if you want to be sure, flush it. Itā€™s a crap shoot. One of my local Ford dealers only uses DOT4 because they donā€™t want to stock both. Yet my buddyā€™s 2019 ZR1 came from the factory with DOT3 (????) Even if your car came with DOT4, not all DOT4ā€™s are created equal. I use RBF660. High boiling point, and not the most expensive.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
You're going to want to fully flush and switch in something like Motul RBF 600/660, or Castrol SRF. Regular DOT4 is garbage and if you're shedding 60-80mph in your brake zones, you might have a few laps before you start boiling the fluid. These cars are very powerful, but when you're trying to stop real hard, you'll realize that they're pretty heavy too. Took me I believe 3 laps at Auto Club to lose them, pedal to floor, pumping doing nothing, left the track surface at 75mph, thankfully into a paved section where I could keep easing into and pumping the e-brake to shed speed.

Call both Lockton and Hagerty and figure out which is right for you. I've been told their rates fluctuate depending on the track and the value of what you're driving.

Sponsored

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang
You're going to want to fully flush and switch in something like Motul RBF 600/660, or Castrol SRF. Regular DOT4 is garbage and if you're shedding 60-80mph in your brake zones, you might have a few laps before you start boiling the fluid. These cars are very powerful, but when you're trying to stop real hard, you'll realize that they're pretty heavy too. Took me I believe 3 laps at Auto Club to lose them, pedal to floor, pumping doing nothing, left the track surface at 75mph, thankfully into a paved section where I could keep easing into and pumping the e-brake to shed speed.

Call both Lockton and Hagerty and figure out which is right for you. I've been told their rates fluctuate depending on the track and the value of what you're driving.
I don't think the Dot 4 in the Mach 1 is bad. I've done 3 different track events with no hint of fade, one track of which is heavy on brakes. I assume its what they use at the track attack as well. Still a good idea to flush every 5-10 events/a year though.

MX915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500, 2022 Mustang GT Premium
I don't think the Dot 4 in the Mach 1 is bad. I've done 3 different track events with no hint of fade, one track of which is heavy on brakes. I assume its what they use at the track attack as well. Still a good idea to flush every 5-10 events/a year though.
I actually asked the guys at the track attack what they do to the cars and one of them did say that they swap the brake fluid with Castrol SRF.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I wouldn't sweat it if it's a few laps depending on your braking style and skill level. The owner's supplement states:

Prior to track use, replace the brake fluid with fresh Motorcraft/Ford DOT 4 LV High Performance Brake Fluid or other DOT compliant fluid with a dry boiling point greater than 500Ā°F (260Ā°C) from a sealed container. Do not use silicone or DOT 5 brake fluids.
So they're considering what's filled in it "high performance". They're just trying to say if you have like 40,000 miles on the car, replace it to ensure it doesn't contain any water or other contaminants.

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang
I actually asked the guys at the track attack what they do to the cars and one of them did say that they swap the brake fluid with Castrol SRF.
Thanks for correcting me. I think I will be ordering some SRF based on the superior wet boiling temperature, I hate having to replace fluid often.
It is useful to note that SRF has a high viscosity (1300mm^2/s at -40 C) which may affect ABS in the cold. I don't drive in the winter so it doesn't matter.

Edit:
Also may be a good idea to follow this:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...emote-brake-reservoir-on-s550-mustangs.16356/

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it depends on the course, your pads, and your driving style. I had a friend tell me that the brakes I use f'n sucked, and after a quick check ride in their car, found them trying to throw me through their windshield on every turn. As long as you're mindful and paying attention to your pedal pressure and brake feel, should you find yourself pumping more, it'd be a sign to start a cooldown lap or two.

I think I gave the GM part numbers for those of you looking to divorce your brake fluid from the clutch.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If it's 5 laps with speeds in 90mph range, don't even worry about it (or flush with whatever decent DOT 4 you can find). This is basically what you do on an average highway. And if it's oval layout (not sure how Talladega looks like infield-wise), you're probably do not a whole lot of braking at those speeds.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
?????
You donā€™t need brakes going only 80 to 90 mph on a oval

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
A 20 year old toyota corolla with stock brakes could handle that you're fine, unless I'm missing something.

OP
OP
DarthMalice

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I have about 20K on the car. I will check out Lockton for the insurance. Appreciate feedback on the brakes.

ChemEng44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2021 Mach 1 HP, 2021 F-Pace SVR
I have about 20K on the car. I will check out Lockton for the insurance. Appreciate feedback on the brakes.
You should be fine with the stock fluid then, if you are getting into the brakes hard for the 5 laps just replace it with Motul RBF600 and double check your pads after the event and you are good to go.
Sponsored