Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
I have noticed that steering effort since new was a bit much compared to other cars... thats about all I have to add... did you guys notice the same thing?

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I have noticed that steering effort since new was a bit much compared to other cars... thats about all I have to add... did you guys notice the same thing?
What steering mode are you using? You can choose from comfort, normal and/or sport. To me comfort was too easy and sport was too stiff. So, I go with normal.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I definitely feel the steering is more difficult to the right, around where the groan is. I recently replaced a bunch of suspension components and it helped maybe ever so slightly.

How tight the steering is seems to depend on how the car sits when parked. My plan is to check out the steering shaft linkages Cobra Jet mentioned in James Cole's other thread.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
@njweatherman before I forget, when they replaced the EPAS was it just the gear/rack or did they replace the shaft as well? I can't imagine a dealer being that transparent haha but figure I'd ask.

Sponsored

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
@njweatherman before I forget, when they replaced the EPAS was it just the gear/rack or did they replace the shaft as well? I can't imagine a dealer being that transparent haha but figure I'd ask.
The work order said they replaced the EPAS, inner tie rods, and programed the EPAS to the car. I took it to 3 separate dealerships. The third dealership mechanic took a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise in the internal EPAS. They never touched my steering wheel.
After I had that done, the steering wheel still made the groaning noise, but only when the car was warmed up. I took it back and the mechanic said the following: "Once steering is loaded, the steering rack is providing power to the motor and the noise is from the motor operating. Normal noise from steering gear motor operating while under load." This was done at just over 7k miles. I'm now over 17k.
I don't feel anything abnormal in the steering wheel. I only hear the moaning noise when the car is warm and I turn the steering wheel in park. I gave up after awhile. I could not take anymore time off from work.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
@njweatherman yeah I'm in a MY2020. I owned a 2019 and don't remember any noises like these. (Although it made plenty of other ones.) Mach 1 is a 2021+ trim so it's definitely not just 2020, although I still stand by the idea that 2020+ models might have more quality issues with all the come and go of pandemic policies in Michigan during that time and supply chain delays.

Either way if enough of us have this issue I can only imagine it's a matter of time before a TSB. They actually released one way after the fact for my 2019's transmission issues, which ironically was the reason I got rid of it via lemon law.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The strange thing is, mine stopped groaning soon after I posted the messages above, back in April. The first time I heard this, the car was 8K miles and 1.5 years old. It did it for approximately two weeks, then became silent again. I haven't heard anything abnormal for the past six months and 4K miles.

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
(I used search to find this thread)

2022 GT 3k on odo. Makes the groaning noise. (No ticking) does it at start up and when slowly turning the wheel in any direction. Probably does it at higher speeds but road noise and engine sound midigate it.

At first it sounded similar to a car that desperately needed steerling fluid 😂 but that wasn't it. After checking that I kind of moved on and figured I'd monitor it. As long as it's not getting worse..and it's not.

My experience is many cars make a groan like this. But several things can mitigate your ability to hear it.

I did a basic inspection with stethoscope on all major components. Nothing was behaving or sounding abnormally. Certainly nothing catastrophic.

Sitting here now I did have a theory lol (I literally came up with it 10 seconds ago so it's probably flawed don't judge)... considering the location and path of the sound tube on the GT is it possible the tube is passing on the resonance/sound from the power steering? (Again half assed theory)

Sponsored
OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
(I used search to find this thread)

2022 GT 3k on odo. Makes the groaning noise. (No ticking) does it at start up and when slowly turning the wheel in any direction. Probably does it at higher speeds but road noise and engine sound midigate it.

At first it sounded similar to a car that desperately needed steerling fluid 😂 but that wasn't it. After checking that I kind of moved on and figured I'd monitor it. As long as it's not getting worse..and it's not.

My experience is many cars make a groan like this. But several things can mitigate your ability to hear it.

I did a basic inspection with stethoscope on all major components. Nothing was behaving or sounding abnormally. Certainly nothing catastrophic.

Sitting here now I did have a theory lol (I literally came up with it 10 seconds ago so it's probably flawed don't judge)... considering the location and path of the sound tube on the GT is it possible the tube is passing on the resonance/sound from the power steering? (Again half assed theory)
My 2023 has the slight steering wheel groan as well, but only when the car is fully warmed up.

quickDraw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1
I have a 2022 Mach 1 and I have that steering whining noise too. It's been this way since I bought the car new back in Nov. I now have ~3800 miles on her. I can hear the whining noise when turning the wheel left or right while slowly moving forward or in reverse. I only hear it after the car is warmed up. I can hear the noise regardless of which mode the steering is in (comfort, normal, or track). The steering feels fine and the noise has not gotten worse. I was planning on bringing it in to the dealer this week but after I found this thread I decided not to take it in for a diagnostic which was going to take 2 - 3 weeks. Ridiculous. Also, I recently had it in a local shop to install the Steeda stop the hop kit. While the car was up on the alignment rack I sat in the car to center the steering wheel. It did not make noise when turning the wheel and I'm guessing it's because the steering rack was not under load.

Thanks @njweatherman and all those that posted before me as this has helped put my mind at ease for now.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2022 Mach 1 and I have that steering whining noise too. It's been this way since I bought the car new back in Nov. I now have ~3800 miles on her. I can hear the whining noise when turning the wheel left or right while slowly moving forward or in reverse. I only hear it after the car is warmed up. I can hear the noise regardless of which mode the steering is in (comfort, normal, or track). The steering feels fine and the noise has not gotten worse. I was planning on bringing it in to the dealer this week but after I found this thread I decided not to take it in for a diagnostic which was going to take 2 - 3 weeks. Ridiculous. Also, I recently had it in a local shop to install the Steeda stop the hop kit. While the car was up on the alignment rack I sat in the car to center the steering wheel. It did not make noise when turning the wheel and I'm guessing it's because the steering rack was not under load.

Thanks @njweatherman and all those that posted before me as this has helped put my mind at ease for now.
When I had my 2020 GT, one of the things my mechanic said was when he had the car on the lift and turned the steering wheel, there was no noise because the steering rack was not under load.
Glad to help.

Mach1dna

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zoli
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
Seems like this is a common "normal" problem for many. I have the same issue but not going to worry about it.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Just throwing in that I had a bad steering rack on my '20 and it did not exhibit any of these symptoms, it only made a clunk when turning to the left. Otherwise it felt fine.
Sponsored