Sponsored

Whine sound

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I've had a whine the past couple days. I thought it needed power steering fluid but I see in the manual there's no reservoir to fill. It sounds just like power steering though. I guess it still could be but is there something else I could check?

I JUST picked it up last week after having the AC tested. Do they do anything near the power steering stuff when they bleed and pressure test the AC?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I just got the bright idea to shut off the air and the noise stops. Doesn't matter if the AC is on or not.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
the power steering rack is electric not hydraulic.

check your ac compressor clutch.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Dropped the car off Wednesday evening and they came out to listen right away. By the time I took it in I was pretty sure it was the compressor. They agreed and said they would order one. Not sure if I'll get a call back before Monday or not. I doubt it.

It was putting out plenty of wind though, which makes me wonder about the AC problem I had at first. They bled and pressure tested the system and it was good. It wasn't whining when I was dealing with the AC but it seems awfully convenient that the compressor is jacked now. I hope that's all it was because it won't be hot enough for me to really tax the AC output for months, and I might be over 36k by that point.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Actually I guess the blower motor is what would be actually forcing the air out, so the compressor probably, hopefully, was the issue all along.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Dropped the car off Wednesday evening and they came out to listen right away. By the time I took it in I was pretty sure it was the compressor. They agreed and said they would order one. Not sure if I'll get a call back before Monday or not. I doubt it.

It was putting out plenty of wind though, which makes me wonder about the AC problem I had at first. They bled and pressure tested the system and it was good. It wasn't whining when I was dealing with the AC but it seems awfully convenient that the compressor is jacked now. I hope that's all it was because it won't be hot enough for me to really tax the AC output for months, and I might be over 36k by that point.
Yes but you can show it was a peeexistin issue so they can push it through as warranty.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The blower motor does make slight whine.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Yes but you can show it was a peeexistin issue so they can push it through as warranty.
I asked about that and he basically said since nothing was found they couldn't do that. This might be a good excuse for me to drive to florida or out west when I have a couple thousand miles to go. somewhere hottttt.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Check out: Sticky: A/C Evaporator Factory Defect - Money is it's low freon pressure causing the whine. Mine started to whine and had temp differences noted in copied post below. Mulestang - Bringing this back from the dead. Took the wife's '15 Stang into the dealer this morning for the door handle recall. I also mentioned a new problem I had with the a/c system. There is a temperature variation across the vents, with the far right passenger vent being the coldest, to the far left driver's vent being downright warm. When moving your hand across the 3 center vents, you can feel the output warm as you move your hand across the 3 vents from right to left. He mentioned that there was a recall on evaporators, so he'd have the techs look at it. A few hours later, I got a call from the service dept. System was low on coolant - evaporator core was leaking. Taking it to Ford shop Tuesday.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Check out: Sticky: A/C Evaporator Factory Defect - Money is it's low freon pressure causing the whine. Mine started to whine and had temp differences noted in copied post below. Mulestang - Bringing this back from the dead. Took the wife's '15 Stang into the dealer this morning for the door handle recall. I also mentioned a new problem I had with the a/c system. There is a temperature variation across the vents, with the far right passenger vent being the coldest, to the far left driver's vent being downright warm. When moving your hand across the 3 center vents, you can feel the output warm as you move your hand across the 3 vents from right to left. He mentioned that there was a recall on evaporators, so he'd have the techs look at it. A few hours later, I got a call from the service dept. System was low on coolant - evaporator core was leaking. Taking it to Ford shop Tuesday.
They fixed my compressor whine. Hopefully picking it up this evening. I'm gonna try to triple check the evap situation before I hit 36k.
Sponsored