Sponsored

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
It's mainly for lowered cars, but the extended ball joint roll center correction arms are a pretty significant improvement in steering feel and front end response, accompanied with bumpsteer correction. Based on how softly sprung the Camaro is in comparison to the S550, I believe that they have similar resulting geometry designed in.
Hey Brian,

I've seen a lot of people recommend the steeda bump steer/roll correction kit. Is there a reason Steeda is the only supplier for this? Would like to purchase this kit but the price looks a little steep for what it is.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Iā€™m sure this has been discussed at some point but I find the current search feature almost impossible to use, so I figured I would just start another thread. Iā€™m curious about increasing the steering feel and accuracy on the GT.
I keep hearing that it helps steering feel if you increase the negative camber.

However, I have heard that the GT 350 and the GT500 are much better. It is my understanding that they have revised steering geometry via the knuckle (and the other things that Iā€™m sure I am clueless about ) and Iā€™m sure either a different power steering rack or different power steering calibrations.
I would have also guessed that they had a different steering rack or calibration. That was the case with the Boss 302R rack for the SN197: The main difference was software, and people wrote that it made a night-and-day difference in steering feel.
...But I've never heard of any improved steering software for the S550.

There was this other thread where folks discussed steering feel, chassis braces, and so on:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steering-feel.163559/

A guy going by JƤrn had several promising suggestions.
I just don't want to put spherical bearings in places I don't already have them...

The roll center correction kit sounded like it was for Mustangs that have been lowered, so it's not clear to me whether it would help a car at stock ride height.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
At some point I think you have to address the compliances - lateral arm bushings and EPAS mounting come to mind here, as any movements permitted in those locations amount to little vaguenesses between the steering wheel and the contact patches. I'm not sure if there's much room for steering feel improvement in the K-member mounting.

Mildly 'stretching' the tires on wheels wider than "measuring width" also tends to help, assuming that doing so is at least class-legal.

Some years ago I DIY-stiffened the rack bushings on a FWD car that I autocrossed. Too long ago to remember much except that there was *some* improvement.

Norm
I was running through this thread and replied to this just because Norm wrote it. Godspeed, Norm.

Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had seen this before and was slow to remember it:
The Mach 1 has a stiffer intermediate shaft in the steering, and a different EPAS calibration than other Mustangs.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/mustang-mach-1-will-be-available-globally-unlike-the-shelby-gt350/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a36030144/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-drive/
"Turn in and you'll notice the improved feel and precision of the Mach 1's steering compared to the Mustang GT's, courtesy of the stiffer intermediate shaft in the steering column and re-tuned electric power steering."

So my new question is: How hard is it to install that shaft on a regular Mustang, and update the EPAS software to Mach 1 specs?

Last edited:

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Thank you everyone for your input. Taking it in,
3 piece strut tower brace up top and steeda g-track brace below. Did this to my base '21 gt, night and day improvement on steering response and feel.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
How hard is it to install that shaft on a regular Mustang, and update the EPAS software to Mach 1 specs?
Installing the shaft should be as easy as removing the steering assembly.

Good question on the EPAS, I wonder if it could be copied off a M1's vin SCCM and/or PSCM as built data?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
There is only one line that is different between my 17 and a 22 M1 on the PSCM.

4 lines are different in the SCCM

My car is at the body shop so won't be able to try the different codes.

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
I was running through this thread and replied to this just because Norm wrote it. Godspeed, Norm.
Damn, this was a hell of a way to get this news. Had no idea he passed away.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Damn, this was a hell of a way to get this news.
I wondered where he went.

I can't find an Obit that corresponds with his last post date, hope is still with us.

Last edited:

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installing the shaft should be as easy as removing the steering assembly.

Good question on the EPAS, I wonder if it could be copied off a M1's vin SCCM and/or PSCM as built data?
I'm sorta surprised the aftermarket isn't offering us these things yet. It seems easy, but I wonder if Ford has made it difficult, somehow. Like, do you need a VIN to prove you own a Mach 1 before they'll sell you that intermediate shaft?
Sponsored