Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
This is soooo entertaining hahahaha
Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I believe the stock spring is "helping" you push the pedal, thereby giving less feel, much like an over servo'd braking system.

The lighter spring helps less, which equals a heavier pedal and more feel.

I have the spring, but haven't fitted it yet.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
from the Steeda website ...

The combination of a high-rate assist spring and motion of the pedal during engagement causes a non-linear and sometimes confusing pedal feel. Having a non-linear pedal feel makes it hard to modulate the clutch on your Mustang GT or EcoBoost

Many new Mustang owners have found that taking out the stock OE spring will give you somewhat similar results, but realistically the clutch becomes far too heavy especially if your Mustang is daily driven.
Most owners fail to realize the prolonged effects of simply taking out your factory OE spring and not replacing it with another spring.

By negating your factory clutch assist spring you will notice chatter/NVH from your clutch pedal. Your clutch pedal will never fully return to stock position without any assist spring, and over time your slave cylinder may begin leaking due to constant pressure on its seals from the clutch pedal not returning to the stock position. Avoid these problems in the future by installing our Steeda S550 Mustang Clutch Assist Spring 35 lb/in into your GT, EcoBoost or V6.

So its an "assist" spring- it is lighter - and makes pedal movement easier - and with more feeling - whilst ensuring the pedal returns properly...

Personally - First time I drove having changed it - I felt no difference... but a few tens of miles later - I "get it"- easier and with more feeling... it certainly isnt harder or heavier - how could it be?:confused:

This thread is fun! :D:D

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I think the first line says it all. “High rate ASSIST spring”

Still I can’t really argue because I haven’t fitted mine yet. Thinking about it, doesn’t the spring assist by helping the pedal go over a fulcrum, therefore holding the pedal in the up position but once the fulcrum point is reached it ops pressure the other way?

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The argument is that the Stock 185lb spring makes the pedal to light and vague. The 35lb spring being much lighter makes the pedal stiffer because of the pressure of the Clutch itself. The force of pressing in the clutch isn't 185 or 35 pounds, it's more than that. The pressure of the clutch is what makes the pedal stiff.

The stock 185lb spring counteracts the stiff Clutch and by many performance orientated drivers makes the clutch Too light. The 35lb Clutch spring allows you to feel the actual clutch engagement weight better by having less resistance. Lighter spring, heavier feel.

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The argument is that the Stock 185lb spring makes the pedal to light and vague. The 35lb spring being much lighter makes the pedal stiffer because of the pressure of the Clutch itself. The force of pressing in the clutch isn't 185 or 35 pounds, it's more than that. The pressure of the clutch is what makes the pedal stiff.

The stock 185lb spring counteracts the stiff Clutch and by many performance orientated drivers makes the clutch Too light. The 35lb Clutch spring allows you to feel the actual clutch engagement weight better by having less resistance. Lighter spring, heavier feel.
brilliant!! totally wrong - but brilliant reply - :clap2:

you feeling better now?

and.... relaxxxxxx...

Cheers

Bob

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Check out this video by CJ Pony Parts, it should answer it for you & give you the ins & outs of the Steeda clutch assist.

[ame="https://vimeo.com/244873480"]https://vimeo.com/244873480[/ame]

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know steeda would rescue the thread!6

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The best way I can an explain it in a non-technical way is ... it requires more effort from the driver but actually allows you to feel the engagement easier.

Your shifts will be smoother with the new spring!

TJ

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The best way I can an explain it in a non-technical way is ... it requires more effort from the driver but actually allows you to feel the engagement easier.

TJ

So we are ALL right!

Great... and good reply!

No offence to anyone involved... it was fun!

Sponsored

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback

TJ

Opposite for me now, with my 2015 Ecoboost the clutch/gear changes were awful and judderly especially going 1st to 2nd. I put the Steeda spring & perch and it it was totally different, smooth & easy.

I pulled the Steeda spring and perch out when i sold it a couple of weeks ago and was going to put it into my 2017 GT ... however the clutch pedal feels completely different in the GT, its normal, there's no issues with any gear change :shrug:

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"I feel like I'm playing cards with my sisters kids."
"you gonna do something - or just stand there and bleed?"

BTW - it is "brothers kids" not sisters... - and the guy that said it was a loser :D

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=34119]W111BOB[/MENTION] / [MENTION=32969]Wolvee[/MENTION] come on now, don't missquote Tombstone ;)!

"its like I'm sitting here playing cards with my brother's kids or something - you nerve wrecking sons a bitches"

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=34119]W111BOB[/MENTION] / [MENTION=32969]Wolvee[/MENTION] come on now, don't missquote Tombstone ;)!

"its like I'm sitting here playing cards with my brother's kids or something - you nerve wrecking sons a bitches"
And 2 minutes later.."you gonna do something...or just stand there and bleed"

No misquote from me!!
Sponsored