Steeda Closed Box CAI Revision?

Cold Zero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mahdi
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Either Steeda Proflow Closed CAI I'm having is different or some on here didn't really test this CAI with flex fuel tune.

I got this CAI 7 months ago, asked Lund for FF & E85R. Flashed the flex fuel tune and guess what ? it works. Yes, simply it works. idle, drivability and WOT. And it is with insert installed. Anyone reported FF tune is not working fine with insert out, it is expected. Lund and Steeda highlighted many times that removing the insert is for race only applications.

Things that I don't like about this is CAI, the clips on the intake box will be useless when you go back to stock CAI as it will be extended.
Sponsored

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Great info Cold Zero

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
I also run the Steeda closed air intake with an OZ tuning flex tune WITHOUT the insert and have zero issues. I do run Bullitt manifold and 87mm TB so don't know if that helps the cause.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't tried it on the steeda unit, but sometimes if you glue a window screen in the opening just before the MAF sensor, it will straighten the airflow enough to stabilize the readings.
thank you for this little gem. I am (was?) having issues with the MAF sensor w/ this intake and this inspired me to try to fix it before I kicked it to the curb.

I did a job on the insert, mesh was part of it, and it helped the MAF quality greatly. Its not pretty, nor permanent (yet) and I’m not posting picture in order to discourage similar reckless use of window screen and duct tape inside an engine’s intake air pathways.

Now that I know more about what’s going on (and gone wrong), I bet I can do a more targetted fix.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Now that I know more about what’s going on (and gone wrong), I bet I can do a more targetted fix.
You can put the screen after the sensor also. Lots of factory MAF tubes are set up like this.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You can put the screen after the sensor also. Lots of factory MAF tubes are set up like this.
Interesting. I both added a bit of aluminum screen (two layers) at the mouth of the insert and closed up a 3/4" slit they made to let you insert the insert with the MAF installed. That slit made it look like a place that some turbulence might be generated. The screen itself should flow just fine, its got to be a lot less restrictive than the filter (despite being a smaller cross section area).

This morning I just closed the slit/notch w/o any screen. Yeah didn't seem to help as much, I think its the screen that's doing the work.

Next step is to make it permanent and epoxy the screen in place instead of duct taping it. If I ingest that screen into the engine, I'm sure that would be a Bad Thing(tm). Thinking epoxy will hold it, and the aluminum should hold up.

I'm less confident I can secure a screen behind the MAF but its interesting that that might also help.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Next time you are at a U pull JY pull some maf tubes. If the sensor is not bolted to the tube it will 99% have a screen

qtrmiler2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
Have an 18 mustang gt on e85 going to install headers and the steeda closed cai.I race the car on the weekend.Doesnt steeda have a racer support program.Thanks

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Have an 18 mustang gt on e85 going to install headers and the steeda closed cai.I race the car on the weekend.Doesnt steeda have a racer support program.Thanks
Shoot me an email to [email protected] & let us know how we can support you - I will help guide your email to the appropriate parties.

Thank you,

TJ

BrandoS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brando
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So anyone knows when the new design is going to be release?
Sponsored