Steeda Closed Box CAI Revision?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm hearing that Steeda is revising the closed box intake. If this is true, I really hope they're working on a few things here:

1. MAF placement. The current one is too close to the filter causing major turbulence and MAF signals to be off. It needs to be moved back a little bit so the signal is clean.

2. Fitment. The clamps had to be bent just about to keep the lid on. The short time I had mine on, I didn't struggle too much, but other were running into issues and they ultimately bent the stock clips too much.

3. Insert. Seems to cause more problems with the insert than without it. I say keep the insert out and keep this intake tune only as the drive-ability was fine with the insert out with the proper tuning. The MAF signal once again is key here.

They fix these three issues and allow it to have a clean MAF signal for flex fuel, and regular tunes for that matter, I will purchase the revised one. That would be the one solution that would end up beating the stock intake which is very hard to do currently on the 2018+ stock intake.
Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hearing that Steeda is revising the closed box intake. If this is true, I really hope they're working on a few things here:

1. MAF placement. The current one is too close to the filter causing major turbulence and MAF signals to be off. It needs to be moved back a little bit so the signal is clean.

2. Fitment. The clamps had to be bent just about to keep the lid on. The short time I had mine on, I didn't struggle too much, but other were running into issues and they ultimately bent the stock clips too much.

3. Insert. Seems to cause more problems with the insert than without it. I say keep the insert out and keep this intake tune only as the drive-ability was fine with the insert out with the proper tuning. The MAF signal once again is key here.

They fix these three issues and allow it to have a clean MAF signal for flex fuel, and regular tunes for that matter, I will purchase the revised one. That would be the one solution that would end up beating the stock intake which is very hard to do currently on the 2018+ stock intake.
Agreed 100%, the quality of the intake lid wasn't near the lid that came off, very rough for the money asked for and the clip closest to the fender once used is not usable for the stock lid anymore. It will clip on, but will easily fall off again. Also, if there is a re-design people who bought the old one I hope get a healthy discount or trade value for the improved model.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Agreed. As one if the early adopters and testers of the flex fuel functionality these were my observations exactly. Then of course reinstalling the stock box, one clip was rendered useless due to being stretched. The remaining clip does seem to maintain integrity. Hopefully maf moves by about 2 inches. Possibly offer a dry filter as an option as well

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I asked my tuner about the Steeda closed box and they very explicitly told me not to do it because of the MAF issue and that a new design would likely be released soon. If the new one is better I may ditch my JLT for it.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I asked my tuner about the Steeda closed box and they very explicitly told me not to do it because of the MAF issue and that a new design would likely be released soon. If the new one is better I may ditch my JLT for it.
I'm willing to bet said tuner provided some solid feedback to Steeda and could possibly be helping with the new design / tuning of the new one. I will be switching myself as well.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

Agreed. If they do that, I would probably purchase one for myself simply for the lower IAT.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Also, they better have their OWN box. Reusing the oem airbox like on 15-17 Steeda "Proflow" intake was stupid. Following their instructions, it never fit properly and eventually led to me switching to the JLT and have been very happy.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1

Just coming in to thank you for posting this. I know I was considering the existing intake or buying a K&N drop-in filter. This is great information for folks on the edge of spending hard earned money.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Just coming in to thank you for posting this. I know I was considering the existing intake or buying a K&N drop-in filter. This is great information for folks on the edge of spending hard earned money.
I think most of us are really wanting the best closed box solution that we can get with a good tube size, and good MAF placement with little turbulence. There's a lot of information out there and a lot of people that have tested multiple intakes. I'd grab a drop in filter if I were you and enjoy it for now. I'm highly considering installing my 2018 stock intake on my 2017 with a drop in filter myself, but my JLT is doing fine aside from some higher IAT's during idle.

Hopefully, Steeda shares something here.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
With easy availability (and popularity) of the flex fuel tunes - all the aftermarket intakes should be made with this idea in mind.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
With easy availability (and popularity) of the flex fuel tunes - all the aftermarket intakes should be made with this idea in mind.
Agreed it was probably tested on straight e85 tune for best performance. Again, I would like to say if one does not need to run a flex tune it is still a good option for cai with stock like iats. Just don't want observations I have shared over the last few months come across like I'm knocking the product as a whole. Just not feasible for anyone wanting to run flex. The clip issue really only came into play when I put stock back on. Had I left the steeda on probably wouldnt notice except when opening to clean filter but the stretched out clip would still fit the bigger box. As for the insert I would say by default tune for not having it, drove far better when testing on 91 than insert in (only difference in tune was accommodating the different sizes). Not just stronger but smoother too.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I think most of us are really wanting the best closed box solution that we can get with a good tube size, and good MAF placement with little turbulence. There's a lot of information out there and a lot of people that have tested multiple intakes. I'd grab a drop in filter if I were you and enjoy it for now. I'm highly considering installing my 2018 stock intake on my 2017 with a drop in filter myself, but my JLT is doing fine aside from some higher IAT's during idle.

Hopefully, Steeda shares something here.

I agree that's what I'll probably end up doing to save money and see what happens. As @Bluemustang said, I'm now running a Flex Fuel tune and don't want to do anything to mess that up.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I still don't think this is going to flow as much as a big cone filter (at least at high rpm), but a good option for those in hot climates. Hopefully there is a rev.
Sponsored