SpeedRacerXT

SpeedRacerXT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Can anybody provide a measurement of the clearance from the ground to the bottom of the hitch with the receiver installed? I'm curious about approach angles/ scraping on the driveway on a 2018 GT stock. I'm interested in attaching a Thule T2 Pro XT 2 bike hitch mount bike rack to a stealth hitch. The Thule rack tapers upward from its attachment point to the hitch, so I think the hitch receiver would be the lowest point of the setup. Thanks!
I'll have to check, but I do know that it scrapes with the receiver installed on my driveway. I have to park on the street to install the receiver and my bike rack. The pix show the receiver attached in the second one.
2019-04-05 15.25.09.jpg
2019-04-05 15.22.56.jpg
Sponsored

DarkHors5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Velocity Blue GT, A10, PP1
As of 1030pm 5/7/2020 The Mustang is no longer listed on Stealth hitches website. Ford is not a listed Manufacturer at all on the sites Drop downs.

I'm hoping it's a glitch, as I was looking to get one.

Zenben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As of 1030pm 5/7/2020 The Mustang is no longer listed on Stealth hitches website. Ford is not a listed Manufacturer at all on the sites Drop downs.

I'm hoping it's a glitch, as I was looking to get one.
You can’t search anything on the website. Not just ford. Nothing.

DarkHors5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a response from them this morning,

"Thank you for your interest in Stealth Hitches. We have removed the Mustang from our offering as we found that there were a lot of variants of the vehicle and a lot of customized vehicles out there, with very low sales volume, so we have pulled the product from the market. It is unclear right now if and when we will put an offering back on the market for the Mustang."

Well, Damn.

Zenben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I got a response from them this morning,

"Thank you for your interest in Stealth Hitches. We have removed the Mustang from our offering as we found that there were a lot of variants of the vehicle and a lot of customized vehicles out there, with very low sales volume, so we have pulled the product from the market. It is unclear right now if and when we will put an offering back on the market for the Mustang."

Well, Damn.
That’s too bad! I have one on my 2018 GT pp1. It’s low clearance—but it works!!!

Sponsored

DarkHors5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s too bad! I have one on my 2018 GT pp1. It’s low clearance—but it works!!!
They are all low clearance, but at least that one was a non issue when its not in use. The other standard type hitches are all anchors. whether your using them at the moment or not.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What's with those weird extra looping pipes?
Their technical name is Helmholtz chambers, to eliminate drone. Very few exhaust manufacturers actually use them; Corsa is another one.

After talking with Steve beginning of October 2018 about a Stealth Hitch
So looks like they don't make them anymore? But after having seen how freaking low it is with the draw bar, I probably wouldn't buy it anyway. It's too dangerous for the hitch to be the lowest point, especially without any kind of 45-deg ramp-up piece, to jump (rather than severe damage) a potential obstacle on the road. It should have been engineered to barely clear the diffuser, like the Curt does.

the 2019 Mustang Manual recomends 1000LB maximum.
That's great news, but does that apply to both manuals and autos, or just autos? That was one of my concerns. I started a thread over the Bullitt forum about a hitch, since that's what I'll get, and it has both MagneRide and active exhaust. This thread never popped up; weird.

Anyway, my main concern with the Curt too was it being the lowest point of the car, but one member here posted a photo from behind, and looks like the differential is actually lower, and by more than I thought. Will go back, and PM that member, to get better answers. I'd like to be able to pull my 460-lb MT-10 on a 350-lb single Kendon trailer, so basically 800 lbs total. Not sure about the tongue weight, but should be under the 200-lb (or whatever it is) limit.

The final question is which is better, since there're only 2 current choices (right?): The Curt, or the Draw-Tite? Thx.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
There is the custom choice. But custom is expensive. I had one built for my Fox. The receiver is completely hidden from view, tucked up behind the lower valance at an angle. The hitch piece looks like an elongated horseshoe and curves around the valance and ends up just below the bumper. The guys who designed/built it also did my 4-point roll bar. Slick piece.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
There is the custom choice. But custom is expensive. I had one built for my Fox. The receiver is completely hidden from view, tucked up behind the lower valance at an angle. The hitch piece looks like an elongated horseshoe and curves around the valance and ends up just below the bumper. The guys who designed/built it also did my 4-point roll bar. Slick piece.

Show me pictures.links please. As much as I hate the idea of putting a hitch on stand, I do have bicycles, and if the batboy was hidden enough, id toss a hitch on the mustang.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Show me pictures.links please. As much as I hate the idea of putting a hitch on stand, I do have bicycles, and if the batboy was hidden enough, id toss a hitch on the mustang.
See post #98 in this thread. That pic is of the receiver only. I'd have to look for one with the hitch put in the receiver.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I like it, I worry about my car being lowered, and bumps, id probably drag and that's a fear. darn.

My spare car has a hitch and I use it a lot, hitch/trailor motorcycles, etc. mainly bicycles though, it really is a great thing to own for bikes.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Can't justify custom. The whole idea of a hitch in a PP1 Mustang is kind of ridiculous anyway (ha ha). Since I'd only haul my bike once a year most likely (twice max), was thinking of just installing the Curt for that, then removing it. But first I need to know if it clears on PP1 cars WITH MagneRide AND Active exhaust. And then, if it's not the lowest point of the car. If it sits lower than the next lowest point (probably the diff), then it'd be too unsafe IMO. I saw a photo of it on page 7, I think, and it seems to be higher than the Torsen, so hope so. If it doesn't drag everywhere with ease, and it's safely above the diff, then I'd leave it in place... if it fits with all those features.

My last concern is if Ford still has a 1K-lb towing capacity on Mustangs, AND if they include Bullitts (manual, V8, MagneRide). Does anybody know? The last thing I'd want is to void the powertrain of my brand new car :D.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Their technical name is Helmholtz chambers, to eliminate drone. Very few exhaust manufacturers actually use them; Corsa is another one.

That's great news, but does that apply to both manuals and autos, or just autos? That was one of my concerns.
Why are you asking? Did you car not include the manual? Anyway, here is the chart from the manual.

upload_2020-5-11_10-45-54.png
Sponsored

Reactions: kz