Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
1969 Triumph TR6, 2018 GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks SpeedRacerXT and wildcatgoal

I also sent Stealthhitches.com a note that I'm interested. That's just what I had in mind for my bike rack.
Sponsored

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
This would be really nice, need a trailer for my go kart.

Steid6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
I have the custom hitch that comes out of the back up light. Looks great and worked well.

But there is a issue. The bumper beam itself is crazy strong so no issues with it. The bracket that mounts the beam to the car is the weak link. There is just enough flexing in the bracket that mine started to bend and stress crack.

The mounting holes on the car was the initially concern but they seem to hold up ok. My trailer was about 400lbs loaded with a 65lb tongue weight.

So it works but needs some improvement. right now I am back to a curt hitch until I decide if I want to build it again. I made the hitch myself. I don't know of any other options other than the curt style frame hitches for sale.
IMG_2568.jpg
IMG_2571.jpg
IMG_2582.jpg
IMG_3062.jpg
IMG_1810.jpg

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Little trailer for track tires and tools.

Why the hell aren't you taking you Mustang to the track, poser?
Would you like to pay for my day sessions at Circuit of the Americas? I'll go if you do. They start at $800 for 45 minutes.

Your turn, internet racer.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have the custom hitch that comes out of the back up light. Looks great and worked well.

But there is a issue. The bumper beam itself is crazy strong so no issues with it. The bracket that mounts the beam to the car is the weak link. There is just enough flexing in the bracket that mine started to bend and stress crack.

The mounting holes on the car was the initially concern but they seem to hold up ok. My trailer was about 400lbs loaded with a 65lb tongue weight.

So it works but needs some improvement. right now I am back to a curt hitch until I decide if I want to build it again. I made the hitch myself. I don't know of any other options other than the curt style frame hitches for sale.
That's great info, thanks a ton for the pictures.

That bracket as a weak link is probably going to affect tow hooks which attach to the bumper. Something to keep in mind.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Would you like to pay for my day sessions at Circuit of the Americas? I'll go if you do. They start at $800 for 45 minutes.

Your turn, internet racer.
Nope. Pay for your own track days.

And if you're not stupid, you won't pay $800 for 45 minutes of track time.

I'll be happy to meet you at Barber were a 2 day event costs ~$500 with a lot more track time than 45 minutes. Pay your own way, but slow guy buys lunch.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Nope. Pay for your own track days.

And if you're not stupid, you won't pay $800 for 45 minutes of track time.

I'll be happy to meet you at Barber were a 2 day event costs ~$500 with a lot more track time than 45 minutes. Pay your own way, but slow guy buys lunch.
Yeah, but COTA is a real racetrack. Barber looks like garbage.

You're the real professional here though so what do I know? I'll continue to be a "poser" along with the rest of 95% of the forum.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
That's great info, thanks a ton for the pictures.

That bracket as a weak link is probably going to affect tow hooks which attach to the bumper. Something to keep in mind.
I chose the FP tow hook because it bolts to the bumper which means alllllll of the bolts that hold that crash bar on are in play when pulled on. Hopefully it’s good.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
$550 for two days at Atlanta Motorsports Park. $680 for Road Atlanta. $580 at Road America. All excellent tracks. I think you were talking about a training session??

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
That's what I figured.

If you don't want a hitch, don't buy a hitch. And consider not reading about hitches you don't want.
Good talk buddy.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase

I chose the FP tow hook because it bolts to the bumper which means alllllll of the bolts that hold that crash bar on are in play when pulled on. Hopefully it’s good.
Steid6G, that's not surprising since the bumper bar & associated brackets are meant for a different kind of load. They are only designed to absorb and dissipate force in an impact, not have something hung from them. That drop bar gives your 400# trailer some nice leverage on all those brackets every time you accelerate or stop.

I'm guessing they tow hook is ok because it's really intended for rare use in pulling the car from a ditch or something or strapping it to a trailer/flat bed.

What would be cool is a hybrid of the Stealth hitch and your solution.

Steid6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
I agree that the bumper should be good for a tow hook as long as your not stuck to deep in it!

I think my metal fatigue came more from the up and down motion while driving than actual start and stops. I tried to keep both the vertical and horizontal lever arms as small as possible. Try, live and learn!

The stealth hitch looks nice, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. Its a tight fit with mufflers, spare tire well and evap stuff.

My main reason for this solution was to keep weight to a minimum. The whole thing was under 4 lbs. I guess the next one will have to have some bracing added to it.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Steid6G, that's not surprising since the bumper bar & associated brackets are meant for a different kind of load. They are only designed to absorb and dissipate force in an impact, not have something hung from them. That drop bar gives your 400# trailer some nice leverage on all those brackets every time you accelerate or stop.

I'm guessing they tow hook is ok because it's really intended for rare use in pulling the car from a ditch or something or strapping it to a trailer/flat bed.

What would be cool is a hybrid of the Stealth hitch and your solution.
Yes, pay attention factory engineers. Give us a point for a hitch that doubles as a point for a tow hook.

Maybe a new standard for only a 1000lb rating so it can be downsized so it is as clean as possible. Like a 1x 1/2" receiver vs a 1.25" square for a Class I hitch.
Sponsored