Sponsored

Starting on my suspension looking for insights

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Very minor changes on the rear bearing (that was already a bearing). The bushing chosen on the front side is still an...interesting...design decision. That it's a bushing isn't an issue or a surprise, but that it's both 1) off-axis with the rear-most joint and 2) on the same part, are what cause some of the undesirable behavior. Most multi-link suspensions have the main control points off axis to each other, but are separate links so that those forces have limited interaction.

The subframe doesn't need to be completely locked down for the car to feel good, but it definitely helps a lot, and for ~$100 for something like the CB010, well worth the spend.
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I've got mine where it will take a set and is predictable. Without the mods it would not take a set and hold it.

It was a dog wagging its tail.

If some people think that is an acceptable thing from a performance car, rock on.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It was a dog wagging its tail.
How so ? Mines straight as an arrow, unless it catches some ruts in the road, but that's easily correctable.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm not going to keep beating this same horse. No one seems to be able to follow a thread.

Stock the base rear is LOOSE. It has sloppy bushings, lots of unwanted movement under turning, braking, and accelerating forces. I like a tight car or should I say firm. If I put it into a turn I don't want a warped wheel feeling.

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle

The Mustang GT Base model feels like it has warped wheels. I have since fixed all of this by using Steeda's stop the hop kit and using poly bushings in place of the factory bubble gum units.

These observations are not on an auto x parking lot. This is at a road course, like Mid-Ohio.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Roll your eyes.

On a 100MPH accelerating constant radius curve I should not have to modulate the steering wheel unless the tires are in a 4 wheel drift.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
And there should not be any side to side wiggly feeling.

It should feel planted, unless 4 wheel drifting, or oversteering, or understeering for that matter.

I like my cars balanced so they mostly 4 wheel drift.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wildhorse

Is that on stock rubber?

Same question to the guy who tracks his and pulls 1+G
If you mean me, it's true street tires (MPSS). 285/35-18. On 18x11 wheels. Mild suspension mods.

Norm

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
No not you, someone posted they pulled 1.17 G's, or some such, on a stock suspension base model S550 and did this in competition.

Although with advance track on I ran 70 MPH, cranked the wheel left, stomped the gas, and could not spin the car, just heard the abs going nuts.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Like Shogun32 said.

Stock the car is not drivable over .5 G because the rear suspension is all over the place and not predictable.

He won't be able to learn how to drive without locking the IRS cradle.
I understand it's far from perfect, but don't you think this is just a touch dramatic? I've driven every car I've ever owned over 0.5g and most were complete shit-boxes.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
When I was 15 with my learners permit my grandparents let me drive to the restaurant where we ate that night. This was Northern Wisconsin all but 1 mile was on gravel roads. (Many twisties I cut my teeth on these roads.) I also was allowed to drive back home. 1974 Lincoln Continental.

My proudest moment was when my grandmother said I was the smoothest driver she has ever rode with.

That put a grin on my face and has been my quest ever since. I don't like wiggly cars and that lincoln was extreamly wiggly.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
TeeLew I agree I was being a bit dramatic, but I have access to a road course and I was able to out run my stock base mustang with my 2012 5.0 powered F150 by 2 seconds.

No the truck is not stock it has suspension mods.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
As your skills improve, you'll find that sometimes it's not about what you can feel. It's often what you're willing to ignore and how much you can compensate for inadequacies.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Before I threw the Steeda/BMR kitchen sink at my car(s) I had a tough time reading the car, especially the rear. I have a test loop I drive that has a banked entrance to the U-turn, rolls flat and then off-camber as it crests a small lip, and often has a 1 foot wide bit of wet (rivulet) right at that transition. I could bomb it all day long in the GTI and in the Camaro the rear would rock to the outside but otherwise hold. On both Mustangs I had no sense what it was doing.

Putting the IRS bushing lockouts and bracing solved that.
The stock suspension is just sad but the IRS disconnect is far worse.
I agree. The sense of not knowing what the rear is doing is very disconcerting and hurts the confidence big time.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
At my age 58, and experience, I know how I want a car to feel. Granted if I was trying out for a pro ride I would compensate for all the things not to my liking to win the seat. Then I'd change the car to suit me. But since I'm not I won't run the razors edge in my 30K daily driver.

This has gone off the rails, if you are a good driver the base mustang is lacking badly. If you don't know how a good sports or race car feels in a curve, OK

I have not driven a PP or Shelby so can't comment on them.

I would love to flog a 350R
Sponsored