Sponsored

Cross Axis Joint and Improved Stabalizer Bar Questions

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I have a ‘16 GT vert and test drove a ‘19 GT vert the other day and it just felt smoother than mine. Both on 18” tires, both non-PP. Out of curiosity, I started googling differences or upgrades Ford did it 2018. The only thing I found was an article in that referenced Ford went to a new cross axis joint and improved stabilizer for a better ride.

Performance is at the core of Mustang DNA, offering drivers a unique thrill of acceleration and cornering for the ultimate fun-to-drive experience. On all models, new shock absorbers make for better ride control, a new cross-axis joint in the rear suspension leads to increased lateral stiffness, and innovative stabilizer bars bring sharper response and handling.

I’m not sure which one made the ride actually better. I have Koni Actives and they ride great and felt similar to the 19, but the ‘19 was just generally smoother. Any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a ‘16 GT vert and test drive a ‘19 GT vert the other day and it just felt smoother than mine. Both on 18” tires, both non-PP. Out of curiosity, I started googling differences or upgrades Ford did it 2018. The only thing I found was an article in MotorTrend that referenced Ford went to a new cross axis joint and improved stabilizer for a better ride.

I’ve searched for this cross axis joint and can’t find anything. Can anyone shed some light on what this is and how it made the difference? Thanks
The cross axis joint is the rear most bearing of the rear lower control arm where it connects to the subframe. They probably loosened it up a bit to improve ride. Doing the forward point of the rear arm has a similar effect. BMR BK081, for instance. The car reacts faster and is generally more compliant with the bearing there. It's astonishing how stiff that forward OE bushing is and how much spring rate it adds to the suspension. I have a video of that a page or two back on my build thread.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bmacils-guard-gt-build.36260/page-15#post-2558746

OP
OP
JCFoster

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Thanks, I apologize I edited it on you while you responded. Just wondering if it’s worth the cost to swap them out.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I apologize I edited it on while you responded. Just wondering if it’s worth the cost to swap the out.
The rear cross axis? Nah. Very minor improvement that most wouldn't feel. The biggest change for ride between the 15-17 and the 18 are rear monotube shocks that have improved tuning and control.
Sponsored