FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do emission places care about the intercooler or do they have to say carb approved on it? I know Garrett is approved but that’s it

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
To demonstrate that it can be driven without emitting excess pollution.
The component should’ve been proven before it was marketed, sold and installed.
Your example boils down to using tax payers dollars at state vehicle emission testing lanes to determine if company XYZ’s catalyst passes.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
252A5DB1-7EB6-4570-8D19-7AA8AD45FCA7.jpeg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Emissions tests don't work anyways, its trivial to swap back in factory equipment for the test and swap back and run catless 364 days of the year.

I don't agree with avoiding individual enforcement but its magnitudes easier to just slap the companies that make it easily available. Now you have to weld your own pipes. Luckily it's not that hard really.

Sponsored

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Guess the EPA is gonna ban welders and exhaust piping next? Cause someone might still run catless and just do it themselves. Gotta cover all them angles, if the government wants to run every aspect of our lives, they better seize those next.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The component should’ve been proven before it was marketed, sold and installed.
Your example boils down to using tax payers dollars at state vehicle emission testing lanes to determine if company XYZ’s catalyst passes.
Yes, it is tax-payer dollars, but it's dollars being spent by those wanting the dispensation to use parts other than OEM. Those wanting special treatment will need to pay for this concession. I would.

Yes, it's possible to swap parts for the test & some will. What a test would do is show that this car could be emissions legal with the parts the owner has. The alternative is people will make their own pipes and _no one_ will put cats in those.

If a company produces cats which don't work well enough to pass the test, the market will address that shortcoming. There's no need for the govt to police manufacturers.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Guess the EPA is gonna ban welders and exhaust piping next? Cause someone might still run catless and just do it themselves. Gotta cover all them angles, if the government wants to run every aspect of our lives, they better seize those next.
If there is no wiggle room in the law, then this is what will happen. People will make their own exhaust and none will have the ability to pass an emissions test.

This law rejects 'good' for a 'great' which is unachievable. This is what utopians often do.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
There's no need for the govt to police manufacturers.
USDA, FDA,
Two government agency’s policing the food we eat and the medication we take. Now tell me, who has the best Pharma industry and safest food supply in the world ? I’ll answer that, The USA and the EU, both having near equal government policing policies and air quality standards.

Manufacturing is driven by greed, given the choice manufactures will always chose the path of least resistance to increase the bottom line.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Manufacturing is driven by greed, given the choice manufactures will always chose the path of least resistance to increase the bottom line.
This times million. Only fools think that deregulation of any kind is for their own good or "freedom" - unless they're running the corporations which who the deregulation is for. And everyone else gets the short end of the stick which recently TX residents had a chance to experience... I'll have no doubt they're still believe that deregulation is good because a famous politician told them so.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
This greed is the exact thing which will police substandard manufacturers. If the consumer knows they'll be tested, then he'll go out of his way to choose a manufacturer which produces a quality product. Substandard products which do not do an effective job will be exposed in short order. Fostering competition is good for the consumer.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
This greed is the exact thing which will police substandard manufacturers.
Greed and substandard manufacturing remind me of the Ford Pinto.
Competition didn’t do much for the dead or injured consumers who fell victim of the Ford Pinto.

Fostering competition is good but only after safety and health risks are fully mitigated.
The government agencies we speak of exist because of violations committed against the consumer.

Last edited:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Funny, I just listened to a podcast about planned obsolescence.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Greed and substandard manufacturing remind me of the Ford Pinto.
Competition didn’t do much for the dead or injured consumers who fell victim of the Ford Pinto.

Fostering competition is good but only after safety and health risks are full mitigated.
The government agencies we speak of exist because of violations committed against the consumer.
This is not a genuine argument. By these criteria, competition would never be allowed because some form of risk will always exist.

Quit trying to do me favors, OK? I don't need or want your hand-holding. Present the emission standard and I'll sort out how to achieve it. The rest is really none of your concern.
Sponsored