Splitter protection

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I recall some posting about these protective strips you attach to the bottom of your splitter and it add protection when it scrapes on things

can any of you with experience with this stuff recommend a brand?

thank you
Sponsored

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
I read a lot of good things about Sliplo.. I purchased a set.. I’m just waiting for the weather to get a little warmer to install.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I recall some posting about these protective strips you attach to the bottom of your splitter and it add protection when it scrapes on things

can any of you with experience with this stuff recommend a brand?

thank you
The "ZL1 Addons" splitter guards are solid. I have them along with many other people on the forum, and have been very happy with them. Could you go homemade or find something cheaper... definitely. For $41.99 though, they're hard to beat.

https://zl1addons.com/collections/splitter-guards/products/mustang-splitter-guards

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I have Sliplo on mine and highly recommend it. The place that did my PPF (Sticker City), developed it and they actually included it with the PPF install for free. They usually have deals going on and I think one box is enough for the splitter. There's another brand called scrape armor but you have to drill into the splitter to attach it...no thanks. I'm use to driving lowered cars so I don't normally scrape, but it's cheap insurance to have for stuff that's unavoidable. The stock splitters are not cheap.

OP
OP
Rubyred17

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have Sliplo on mine and highly recommend it. The place that did my PPF (Sticker City), developed it and they actually included it with the PPF install for free. They usually have deals going on and I think one box is enough for the splitter. There's another brand called scrape armor but you have to drill into the splitter to attach it...no thanks. I'm use to driving lowered cars so I don't normally scrape, but it's cheap insurance to have for stuff that's unavoidable. The stock splitters are not cheap.
Thank you, all

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
The "ZL1 Addons" splitter guards are solid. I have them along with many other people on the forum, and have been very happy with them. Could you go homemade or find something cheaper... definitely. For $41.99 though, they're hard to beat.

https://zl1addons.com/collections/splitter-guards/products/mustang-splitter-guards
the only thing that scares me about those is the chance of it being torn off on track and leaving a screw to be in someones tire.... I like the concept though a lot!

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
the only thing that scares me about those is the chance of it being torn off on track and leaving a screw to be in someones tire.... I like the concept though a lot!
That’s a very good point that I hadn’t considered, but due to the conical shape of the washer and how the oem splitter flexes, I think it’d be very difficult for one of these to be sheered off. I could see an issue arising if your splitter was rubbing on track repeatedly (unlikely with oem I’d think) and you wore through enough of the washer and the recessed screw head that only the shaft remained, then the washer slipped off. . . that would be a major problem.

Is track season here yet for us northerners....?!?!

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
That’s a very good point that I hadn’t considered, but due to the conical shape of the washer and how the oem splitter flexes, I think it’d be very difficult for one of these to be sheered off. I could see an issue arising if your splitter was rubbing on track repeatedly (unlikely with oem I’d think) and you wore through enough of the washer and the recessed screw head that only the shaft remained, then the washer slipped off. . . that would be a major problem.

Is track season here yet for us northerners....?!?!
valid point on the oem, mine is more rigid and much lower and does rub quite a bit at grattan in particular...

Apr 16th is my 1st scheduled day... can't wait!

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
valid point on the oem, mine is more rigid and much lower and does rub quite a bit at grattan in particular...

Apr 16th is my 1st scheduled day... can't wait!
Very nice!

Are your splitter support rods solid or did you use flexible ones?

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
IMO, I don't understand this splitter protection concept. Installing them reduces clearance of the splitter and hitting it subsequently maximize chance of braking splitter itself.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Very nice!

Are your splitter support rods solid or did you use flexible ones?

solid, but the splitter only hits on the outer corners so I think theres enough flex available to not be an issue. I am still debating that though, but also I heard the people that make the flexy ones are maybe going out of biz or just nonresponsive...

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
solid, but the splitter only hits on the outer corners so I think theres enough flex available to not be an issue. I am still debating that though, but also I heard the people that make the flexy ones are maybe going out of biz or just nonresponsive...
These guys have their shit together: https://professionalawesome.com/product/professional-awesome-splitter-support-rods/

Definitely worth a look! I don’t have them personally, but they come highly recommended from a friend of mine.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
IMO, I don't understand this splitter protection concept. Installing them reduces clearance of the splitter and hitting it subsequently maximize chance of braking splitter itself.
R splitters cost over $1000—I think someone had mentioned that the price increased recently to $1200-1400. For a product like ScrapeArmor which is 2mm thick, it’s negligible in height difference. The point is that you’re already scrapping, but now when you scrape, it’s effecting a sacrificial layer and not the OEM splitter and hardware. So no more damage on the plastic splitter or aluminum rivets. Which ultimately means you don’t damage or continue to damage the OEM splitter and you don’t need to shell out $1000-$1400 on a replacement.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Just installed Sliplo last week. As easy as it looks in all of the videos. Not disappointed, but couldn't help but second-guess my decision while installing.

I replaced the splitter on my previous GT350 after banging it up a bit. The current car's splitter has a small nick, but was able to fix it with heat and 1000 grit.

In both cases, previous splitter and current, the visible scars were on the outer portion of the leading edge, which Sliplo (and ZL1) does not cover. There were also light scrapes underneath, but they were out of sight--just like Sliplo is out of sight. So, why use Sliplo?

Another perspective: once Sliplo is installed, it's not coming off. It's now part of the splitter. So, if the Sliplo is scratched up (and it will be) then the splitter is scratched up (in an area that no one will ever see). Likewise with the ZL1 hardware.

Buyer's remorse? Of course not. All the cool kids use Sliplo (gotta keep up with the Smiths...or is it Johnsons...).

Just a few afterthoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sponsored