Sponsored

Spied: 2015 Mustang Mule Engine Bay Revealed (with Coyote V8 5.0)!

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
I took those pictures apart last December... http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/?p=15161 -there are all kinds of little details there to note but the bottom line is not at all the final car and there are likely dozens of mules built of various types, running and not.

The engine is the same height and location, although the angle of the throttle body has been changed for the new airbox. There are a ton of other changes - and some negative restrictions I note in my post on DrivingEnthusiast.

The bad news is that (at this early stage) it's still the same port-injected Coyote... not Direct Injected. This is probably because it's just an early structural mule and the DI engine isn't ready for testing yet (or needed at this point in the program - there are many milestones where each of these things take place). IF it will even go to DI (which it was designed for) in this first iteration in the S550. I think it has to.

Direct Injection is one of those technologies where everybody wins: better drivability, better emissions and mileage, better potential. And having the base engine pay the bill for it also means better CAFE for car.. . and pays the bill for other low-production iterations of the Coyote to come - perhaps a turbocharged variant (not this one: http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/?p=14518)?
Sponsored

Maestro5.0

Some great detailed analysis you got there... :cheers: I gotta think DI is gonna be in the first MY of the 2015. Even before we get into discussion of turbo coyote or higher for the GT500, a DI engine should be on priority 1. From a comparison of the engine bay done by others here, it looked like the engine would sit lower in the bay for a lower center of gravity. Looks otherwise to you?

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some great detailed analysis you got there... :cheers: I gotta think DI is gonna be in the first MY of the 2015. Even before we get into discussion of turbo coyote or higher for the GT500, a DI engine should be on priority 1. From a comparison of the engine bay done by others here, it looked like the engine would sit lower in the bay for a lower center of gravity. Looks otherwise to you?
Yes... gotta have DI to do anything else but even then it is great on its own.

No I dont think the engine is any lower.. although the cowl us higher. The strut tower, which is very slightly different on top, is in the same relative position.

And besides there us nowhere else for the engine to go.

However, there is one important point to make. When the car is designed for an IRS, and offered solely with an IRS, the angle the engine sits in the chassis is different, so that may make this is bit confusing. Also of course another big advantage is that driveshaft tunnel can be far smaller and less intrusive to the interior. Same for the trunk, which can be lower because you don't have to account for several hundred pounds of pig iron bouncing up and down.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Anyone have an idea of power output of a N/A Direct Injected 5.0L, gotta be something like 460 HP or so I would think, if the N/A port injected BOSS engine can find 444 HP?

shelby1k

Anyone have an idea of power output of a N/A Direct Injected 5.0L, gotta be something like 460 HP or so I would think, if the N/A port injected BOSS engine can find 444 HP?
I would think in the vicinity of the 500?

I could also see DI making its way in the v6 at some point in the future due to the great performance and efficiency benefits of the DI v6 camaro. The coyote engine was built for the future, Ford is definitely giong to utilize this at some point, question of when. Back in 2011 the coyote team were talking about the benefits of the NA coyote as it stands, providing the benefit of charge cooling and the volume efficiency benefit of squirting the injectors while the intake valve is open and open a long time, giving you half the benefit of DI for free. But we're well beyond this now and I can see a version of DI coyote replacing the trinity soon.

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA coyote as it stands, providing the benefit of charge cooling and the volume efficiency benefit of squirting the injectors while the intake valve is open and open a long time, giving you half the benefit of DI for free.
I saw the Ford engineer say that, and it was all BS excuses, simply because the budget wouldn't allow for DI then. They blew the budget on the basic engine. But both the Coyote and the V-6 were designed for DI, and we will certainly see it at some point without too much engineering.

How much power the Coyote would make is an open question. Certainly there will be a boost in HP and torque, with probably more of a boost to torque.

So again I go back to competitive marketing... the Camaro will use the new LT1, which has "at least" 450 HP and 450 torque. The Coyote can be made to produce 450 clean and economical HP, but it can't produce that kind of torque.

Might we have to accept, say, 450 HP and 420 torque?

KC_Drifter

For the GT that'd be a pretty sizable increase. I would think it comes after '15. I'm skeptical about other engines getting DI even if capable. Ford hasnt shown that it cares to match each of its competitors powertrains 1:1 although both camaro and the vette getting the engine may push them in that direction.
Sponsored