Sponsored

Spied: 2015 Mustang Mule Engine Bay Revealed (with Coyote V8 5.0)!

stangray11

TT DI Coyote on a ~200lb lighter GT500 with IRS and magnetic suspension and I will wait 3 years for that car if I have to.
Sponsored

Mach1

I'm all for progress, but I really hope its not the 5 liter. Already significant displacement difference with the GM cars... 5.8 vs. 6.2. Now with the z28, the gap is widening. We need to keep up.

KZStang

With DI and turbos (esp TT), the car will be a total beast, not to mention it will weigh less and have better weight distribution as it will be less front heavy. I think people will really embrace it once they get over the initial :eek: that a mustang (once again) has a 4-cyl engine.

NRMStand

I would take a turbo 5.0 coyote over the present day supercharged 5.4L of the GT500. My guess is it would be able to match, if not surpass the SC 5.4 even on pump gas due to the differences in parasitic loss -- turbos are nearly free HP because of the excess energy lost as heat in the exhaust. Regardless, the weight distribution benefits and weight savings would be an extra bonus that could account for any differences, if at all. And direct injection would in large part compensate for any differences in displacement, not to mention the benefits to pump gas capability.

I really hope we see the twin turbo rumors finally come true, maybe in 2017 with the GT500. That would be a total monster :hail:

KZStang

It's a nice wish list but 4 engine options? They may offer some combination of these in different regions but doubt we see all 4 in any one part of the world. The least likely would be the Eco 6-cyl. I do think the GT should get an upgrade to a higher displacement v8, perhaps the 5.4L (BTW, the coyote engine is the 5.0L). I think the 5.8 "trinity" engine would be a big upgrade... with a lighter chassis, that should be more than enough to surpass the 6.2 of the fatter SS.

That would leave enough upgrade room for a 5.8L EcoBoost (dreaming big here) for the GT500 which would be an awesome Mustang halo car. The hard part will be waiting a few years for the GT500 and not pulling the trigger on the 2015.
How about the v6 EcoBoost from the F-150? 365hp and 420 lb/ft torque. Could be an option. Or how about a TT v6 Shelby? Lotta interesting possibilities when you throw in the Shelby and Boss editions into the mix.

Sponsored

Oblivion/2

A v6 EcoBoost? I dont know, I dont see the market for it. The 5.0 is the flag bearer -- I think we see low and high range turbos, if at all. an EB I4 and turbo v8 (coyote) sounds about right.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I would take a turbo 5.0 coyote over the present day supercharged 5.4L of the GT500. My guess is it would be able to match, if not surpass the SC 5.4 even on pump gas due to the differences in parasitic loss -- turbos are nearly free HP because of the excess energy lost as heat in the exhaust. Regardless, the weight distribution benefits and weight savings would be an extra bonus that could account for any differences, if at all. And direct injection would in large part compensate for any differences in displacement, not to mention the benefits to pump gas capability.

I really hope we see the twin turbo rumors finally come true, maybe in 2017 with the GT500. That would be a total monster :hail:
Just saying, but the Trinity engine in the GT500 right now is a 5.8L

NRMStand

You're absolutely right. Don't know why I had 5.4 stuck in my head.. mayb I've never quite moved on from early 2012. :D

Speaking of, the Shelby GT350 concept shown years back had a supercharged coyote engine w/over 500hp or 600+ out of warranty. My point still stands about a DI turbo vs. S/C and if we get to see TTs.. :headbang:

I'm really curious what they could do with that Trinity engine for the next model...

Mach1

A v6 EcoBoost? I dont know, I dont see the market for it. The 5.0 is the flag bearer -- I think we see low and high range turbos, if at all. an EB I4 and turbo v8 (coyote) sounds about right.
Yea, smaller tunable engines for the fuel economy, larger turbo or S/C ones for those that don't care and can afford it. V6 will remain the base.

Prodigy

I dont know. We're all thinking bigger and I think Ford and auto manufacturers in general are thinking smaller. I dont think we see a turbo Trinity if that's what you're thinking. Yea for a special edition like the Shelby 1000 with S/C 5.8 which no average joe will ever own. The good news is they won't have to. They can go offer smaller displacement EcoBoost engines to make up the HPs and decrease the weight of the car. That is the way to move forward now, not keep piling it on until we end up with a 3800-4000lb behemoth like the camaro.

Sponsored

Icy

No way GM has all those diff models and now z28 and Ford doesnt respond. Cmon they know its losing in sales, they will lead the big 3 like they did with the bailouts. No way its just standard, GT, GT500. They even need more than a Boss revivval I thnk... they need a competant z28 rival. GT350?

stangray11

No way GM has all those diff models and now z28 and Ford doesnt respond. Cmon they know its losing in sales, they will lead the big 3 like they did with the bailouts. No way its just standard, GT, GT500. They even need more than a Boss revivval I thnk... they need a competant z28 rival. GT350?
Your talking about GT350 from the blue oval and not a post-title package from Shelby right? Otherwise not worth discussing could throw in the super snake too.

I'm thinking as a halo car maybe to replace the GT500 line, they could offer TT 5.0, sorta like a detuned Cobra Jet.

GTsquid

There are many possibilities for 2015 and beyond. I do think we see a GT350 from Ford/SVT, but not to replace the GT500 which should remain at the top end. The Trinity engine I believe is going to be phased out. I see Ford putting in a T/TT Ecoboost Coyote in the GT500 in a few years and perhaps a S/C 5.0 for the GT350 which should remain a niche product.

Oblivion/2

Boss 351 vs. z28?
Well if the rumors about the 5.8 are true, it wont happen. I dont see how Ford can make a profit offering yet ANOTHER one just for the Boss. Plus, the z28 would still tear it up IMHO unless they gave it other perf enhancements. I would rather see the Boss come back with a nicely tuned EB Coyote.
Sponsored