Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
So close I canā€™t see the difference. Pictures usually donā€™t do justice unless itā€™s obvious.
Blending is standard practice BTW.
Great painters have special sight, seriously. You may have that great sight as well.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yup...I see it. When you do, it slaps you in the face, doesnā€™t it? I wouldnā€™t/couldnā€™t live with it either. Iā€™d do whatever it takes. Whatever your trusted paint guy recommends. Nothing wrong with blending if theyā€™re good at it. Itā€™s a daily practice for body/paint guys.

HEP#15

I see it too and could live with it. If they need to blend it and they know what they are doing I would go that route. Before doing that I would take it to the best paint / body shop in the are and get a second opinion. If it was my car I would do what it took - and use who I needed to use - to get it right.

Sponsored

Exhausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1 A10
I had my hood replaced and did not let them blend the fenders.
Iā€™m happy with the results

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Itā€™s not ridiculous. I had my stock trunk lid repainted. Off the car. No blending. He did not have the car for a reference. He only had the original paint on the trunk lid to go off of and he nailed it. So yes, itā€™s possible.

Oh, and also, my sons ā€˜12 bright red GT got sandwiched in a bump up. Only damage was bumper skins. Body shop completely repainted the bumper skins after repair, front and rear. No blending. Nailed it.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Is it ridiculous to assume a perfect match can be made between the existing paint and new paint?
Not at all, youā€™re the customer. The body shop has the paint code but there are plenty of variables that contribute to the variances.
Type (brand) of paint, pressure used while spraying, angle used while spraying, etc, etc.
They would use a spray out card to match but application may change things.
Factory paint is applied using robotics.

Big Ernie McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Charger Scat Pack, 2013 Silverado
Definitely get it blended out. What had to get repainted on the hood? Did the entire thing get repaired or sanded on? There is no reason to have re sprayed the whole hood white again if only a small area needed fixed. If the hood has fresh white paint near the fenders then it is pretty standard practice to blend into the next panel. Especially on those whites and with how much bumper fits up to the hood. They should have never let it out the door like that. It is pretty clear the color doesnā€™t match.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
When you zoom in on those pictures you can really see it.
Yes, Iā€™d have them do it over.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Funny thing...my repainted trunk matches the car better than the stock/original painted bumper skins, LOL.

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R #KR666, 2023 Bronco Sasquatch
I see this difference clear as day. This would drive me absolutely nuts, I had a 2007 Volkswagen GTI when I was younger and had the hood repainted and even on that car it bothered me. Can't imagine seeing this on a GT350. Definitely need everything blended, and possibly overall just a better paint match

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Thanks for the feedback.

It's definitely one of those things where once you see it, you can't unsee it! It sounds like blending is an acceptable practice. I'll consider moving forward with that in mind.

Is it ridiculous to assume a perfect match can be made between the existing paint and new paint?
It's not ridiculous, just difficult to do and requires a meticulous attention to detail to get it right. With solid colors like white, getting the color match spot on is crucial but if matched correctly, blending shouldn't be necessary. Blending is a technique used to hide the paint mismatch, and IMO should not be necessary for solid, non-metallic colors. It's just often quicker for a shop to blend rather than spend the time and waste materials to get the color perfect.

When dealing with modern metallics and tri-coat colors, not only is a perfect color match a requirement, but blending is also nearly always mandatory since matching the angle, application and density of the color coat and metallic content to the factory paint is impossible.