Sponsored

Resonator Delete? Yes Please

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Alright, I've had the car for a couple months now and finally decided it was time. Took the exhaust off the car and hauled it to my friends house who treats welding as another hobby.

Everything here was done using a TIG welder, argon gas purging on the inside of all the piping for a solid weld inside and out.

IMAG4251.jpg

Getting the exhaust in the garage. I bought 4 feet of 2.75" 304 SS piping, and cut the sections out to size. I believe each section was roughly 18 inches in length, can't remember now since it was a couple weeks back I did the cuts.

IMAG4252.jpg

Stock. Heatshields removed.

IMAG4253.jpg

And chopped off. You'll see where I cut off is not the conventional areas. You'll see why in a minute...

IMAG4254.jpg

All cut up, and just laid about.

IMAG4255.jpg

This is the tedious process. Positioning, measuring, leveling etc. Doing this 2 to 3 times to make sure everything is properly set before the tacks are laid down.

IMAG4256.jpg

IMAG4257.jpg

We did it in sections like so. That way instead of 4 difficult areas to weld, we only had to worry about two (tight clearance in between the two pipes for the torch).

IMAG4263.jpg

Now as some of you already know, the X-Pipe diameter is less than 2.75". So we couldn't match it up like the other side. So naturally we fitted it into the other pipe. Once you clean up the factory welds with a grinder, you can slide it right in, but...you are left with this gap. Solution? Tack weld it, then hammer tap the tip of the larger pipe to taper it down to lessen the gap.

IMAG4258.jpg

Here's a close up of the weld on the X-Pipe afterwards.

IMAG4259.jpg

Now moving over to the other section with the exhaust. If you notice on the lower pipe at the very tip it tapers down just slightly, this allows you to slip on the 2.75" piping so it just butts up almost perfectly, leaving very minimal gap.

IMAG4262.jpg

This is the gap on the tapered side. Awesome.

IMAG4264.jpg

One side with welds and one side still waiting for some beads.

IMAG4265.jpg

IMAG4266.jpg

The X-Pipe metal is much thicker so you gotta lay some heat down on that sucker first, then blend up into the thinner 2.75" piping.

IMAG4267.jpg

Here is a picture underneath the car with the exhaust installed. It was dark and my cell phone sucks so please excuse the crappy picture.

Fits perfect, sounds perfect. Clearly the best mod yet. The sound has more rawness to it that was needed to make it sound exactly how it should be. I had my friend in the passenger seat next to me when we went for the test drive, a cop pulled up behind me and I said oh shit better turn on quiet mode (he didn't think it would get that much quieter). But when the exhaust switched over he was laughing his ass off at how quiet it got compared to "oh shit" mode.

:ford: :hail:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Great job documenting a well done mod.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoy it, I did a cut & clamp x by SVE. Nice work.

OP
OP

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Why is no one replacing the x pipe at the same time
My reasoning was that I liked the way the exhaust sounded stock. I simply wanted everything the same except the resonators removed.

Sponsored

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
Why is no one replacing the x pipe at the same time
I changed my X, prob gained some HP since it does not have the reducers on both sides as the original does