Sponsored

So what happened to STP?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
This thread ...replace a few consistent words/analogies & ....your talking about my job.....
Just an ignorant question from a totally ignorant man on the subject.
Do more classes & rules help support the hobby and it's growth or turn it into the hobby lobby guy vs Gladiator ?
I'd like to ....after my first oil change ...and if that is smooth . Find something that fits all stock stuff car
I've gymkana'd at other marque events, did a couple day class at Bob Bondurant driving school but not much experience beyond that. I sorta crave the addenalin again. Is there anywhere on the forum that has info by class for the s550?
Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Grintch

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
There is a FS (F Street) thread for stockish autocross.

Also Boardkat's CAM build, where he shows how you have to spend $100,000+ for a serious CAM-C car. Which is one reason I think going from Street/stock to CAM is not a great plan.

In the end, if you are just driving for fun the classing doesn't matter I guess. If you want to be competitive more classes in theory give you more chances to match your preparation level. But can be frustrating, and still there always seems to be one or two common, cheap, and effective mods that bump you up 1 or 2 classes higher than they should.

Maybe best to just ask a specific classing question.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
This thread ...replace a few consistent words/analogies & ....your talking about my job.....
Just an ignorant question from a totally ignorant man on the subject.
Do more classes & rules help support the hobby and it's growth or turn it into the hobby lobby guy vs Gladiator ?
I'd like to ....after my first oil change ...and if that is smooth . Find something that fits all stock stuff car
I've gymkana'd at other marque events, did a couple day class at Bob Bondurant driving school but not much experience beyond that. I sorta crave the addenalin again. Is there anywhere on the forum that has info by class for the s550?
Thanks
FS can be great fun in a completely stock S550 GTPP or in one with Koni shocks and a different front or rear sway bar. You could quickly be fast enough to beat me with just a set of Bridgestone RE-71R tires.

Where in North Carolina are you located? There are lots of events in the Triad and in Charlotte as well as in the eastern and western parts of the state.

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Also Boardkat's CAM build, where he shows how you CAN spend $100,000+ for a serious CAM-C car. Which is one reason I think going from Street/stock to CAM is not a great plan.
FTFY. I think you can build a damn good CAMC car with a GT and about $6k in parts.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
FTFY. I think you can build a damn good CAMC car with a GT and about $6k in parts.
Or less, including the rubber, if starting from a GT PP1.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is your signature correct? I know you drove a 2018 GT PP with SA Konis at the 2018 Solo Nats where you were the fastest Mustang in FS (5th behind BMW's and Camaros).

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Is your signature correct? I know you drove a 2018 GT PP with SA Konis at the 2018 Solo Nats where you were the fastest Mustang in FS (5th behind BMW's and Camaros).
Yes 2018. Never updated the sig.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Some us don't have a $100,000 mod budget. And eventually, the soft PAX and lack of fully prepared cars will go away. And people with mildly modified cars (ST ish) will find they are in the deep end with sharks.

Was there any discussion of STP going away? I don't remember seeing it in any FastTracks or in Sports Car. And while the numbers at Nationals weren't great, they were not terrible either.

Class Drivers
STP 9
AM 9
ASP 10
FSP 11
STH 12
EP 12
EM 12
There was next to no discussion anywhere but on the Sandbox about STP going away... the STAC decided that because it was a provisional class, and participation was low (because they intentionally delayed the class to see if CAM would be successful....) that they'd ax it before giving it time to breathe and CAM to full flesh out the builds. I helped build STP, I was one of the few people running any pony cars in STX, then STU, and while I was a terrible driver, I was at least vocal about building support for STP. Basically, the STAC took the words of a handful of "seasoned vets" who all said "No one wants to run modified pony cars on street tires, they all go to ESP or CP." Then CAM happened and forced them to eat crow... as if they'd never seen or heard of the Pro-Touring movement. But no, there was no formal request for comments in any of the Fastracks to my knowledge, it just got the ax and that was it.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In addition to the above I doubt that ANY possible SCCA rule set that was anything other than CAM with no engine swaps, power adders, or weight reduction would have appealed to many pony car owners. It seems that Pony car owners who aren't satisfied with stock also don't like any restrictions on modifications. Plus I think a big part of what makes the other street touring classes popular is that most of them need and can use every HP increase they can find. Conversely HP is the least of our problems in autocross, especially with TW200 tires versus Hoosiers or soft compound road racing slicks.

OP
OP
Grintch

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Or less, including the rubber, if starting from a GT PP1.

Do I assume you are all kicking Boardkat's butt in his heavily modified, high dollar car? Why did a Camaro win the tittle if a GT + $6k builds a winning car?

Bamac - aren't you in the any coilover less than $4k is junk club? Or is that someone else?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do I assume you are all kicking Boardkat's butt in his heavily modified, high dollar car? Why did a Camaro win the tittle if a GT + $6k builds a winning car?

Bamac - aren't you in the any coilover less than $4k is junk club? Or is that someone else?
Of course not, and no. Doesn't take away from the fact that if you spend $6k wisely you'll have a damn good CAM-C car. Nationals-winning? There's a lot going into that more than just money.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
its the Indian, not the arrow. (But fresh tires don’t hurt)

Does Boardkat’s car actually run well, or is it perpetually broken?

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Does Boardkat’s car actually run well, or is it perpetually broken?
I resent that statement!! :punch:
When you play with fire, sometimes you get burned. I prefer “perpetually iterating towards perfection” :muscle:

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I resent that statement!! :punch:
When you play with fire, sometimes you get burned. I prefer “perpetually iterating towards perfection” :muscle:
I'm going to use that line when talking to my wife about why I'm taking the car apart AGAIN haha.

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I'm going to use that line when talking to my wife about why I'm taking the car apart AGAIN haha.
Which reminds me, I need to jack mine up and make a front ride height change.....

I think we make this harder on ourselves than we have to.
Sponsored