Sponsored

FS or budget STP

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So any thoughts on the FP track pack? And are all of you STP guys wearing MRR M350 wheels?
I would rather have adjustable shocks than the fixed ones in the FP track pack. Also don't like the idea of progressive springs. So, I would look at Konis or Steeda shocks and BMR or Steeda linear springs.

There aren't many people on the forum running STP but I am on MRR M350 19x10 wheels. If you can wait a month or three on wheels/tires I would. There may be a rule change that allows us to run wider wheels and maybe tires than 10"-285s.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
FWIW, not a fan of the Koni SAs. Put a set on our '01 Prelude and have regretted it ever since. This was a GC Kit with Eibachs. Front is set full stiff and as highs adjustment goes; and we still bottom out. I'd wait for Bilsteins to come out or move up to STs or KWs.

I've run four events including a driving school with my '16 GT PP. I've not had the floaty experience with rebound. It is a bit stiff on compression. But my experience with the Koni SAs wouldn't help. At the school had a nationals champ comment that the car was set up pretty well for factory dampers and tires. I was shocked. Made me rethink this whole thing. By the way, he loved the car. This is saying something coming from an MX 5 pilot.

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
There is FS competition in the area of Indy but no STP, I mean none for several states. You want to build for index competition, go ahead but don't expect to run across another STP car unless rules really change here in the next two months.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
There is FS competition in the area of Indy but no STP, I mean none for several states. You want to build for index competition, go ahead but don't expect to run across another STP car unless rules really change here in the next two months.
Which is possibly happening. Rumor around the paddock at Nationals was that the STAC is actively discussing going to a universal wheel/tire rule for STP and is discussing moving away from the current catalytic converter rule to allow STP to run off the shelf longtubes.

That's the rumor mill, so until I see it in a FasTrack, it's just a rumor, but if true, I'd jump into STP in a heartbeat if money allows me to. I'd be running 19x11's with 305 RE71R's at all fours, Ground Control Coilovers and my BMR Sways. From there I'd have to think long and hard about what else the car really needs for ST prep... less weight mostly, so full exhaust, for sure a catback, seats, lighter battery, CAI+Tune and call it a day! :) Would be a fun car for sure

Sponsored

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Which is possibly happening. Rumor around the paddock at Nationals was that the STAC is actively discussing going to a universal wheel/tire rule for STP and is discussing moving away from the current catalytic converter rule to allow STP to run off the shelf longtubes.

That's the rumor mill, so until I see it in a FasTrack, it's just a rumor, but if true, I'd jump into STP in a heartbeat if money allows me to. I'd be running 19x11's with 305 RE71R's at all fours, Ground Control Coilovers and my BMR Sways. From there I'd have to think long and hard about what else the car really needs for ST prep... less weight mostly, so full exhaust, for sure a catback, seats, lighter battery, CAI+Tune and call it a day! :) Would be a fun car for sure
+1, to all of this. We'll see how it goes. If so I'm in! One other thing that ST allows is a tune that could raise the rev limit, albeit not without risk.

-Brian

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
+1, to all of this. We'll see how it goes. If so I'm in! One other thing that ST allows is a tune that could raise the rev limit, albeit not without risk.

-Brian
A key to avoiding that problem is not revving it to the moon! :)

With the 305's (26.2" overall height) and a 7500 red line on a GTPP gives you 64 mph in second gear. A heck of a lot better than 59 and would most likely eliminate most shifting to third on most courses. Otherwise, 7800 for those pushing the limits of the stock oil pump gears puts you at 67mph. I know BoardKat will disagree, but for an ST prepped car the chances of you needing more are going to be pretty slim.

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
Eric and Boardkat may both disagree with higher RPM's via a tune. Personally, I'd just practice going to 3rd under load and not mess with higher rpm, however on the STP front, I just don't see anyone regionally in this area.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Eric and Boardkat may both disagree with higher RPM's via a tune. Personally, I'd just practice going to 3rd under load and not mess with higher rpm, however on the STP front, I just don't see anyone regionally in this area.
Without going up in RPM, you'll actually lose MPH by going to STP by going to either the 315 Rivals or the 305 RE71R's so you'd be shifting more than in FS. Personally I'd rather not shift that much, it's already too much in FS.

A good harmonic damper (legal in STP) would go a long way so long as you aren't pushing stupid RPM.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I just did a quick chat with performanceparts. ford.com and asked what the Power Pack 1 rev limit was: 7200 was the answer I got.

That puts top of 2nd at 62 with 305/30/19 RE71Rs. 60 mph with 315/30/18 Rival S. And a warranty...

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Last edited:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
The inserts are sold but the other parts including gutted oem strut housings, gland nuts, and adapter/collar are still available if anyone needs them for an STP or ESP project.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm in a similar position with my car. My thought is, if you already have the koni yellows, add some springs from BMR or Steeda and just run the RE-71s or similar tire until you feel like being more committed to funneling money into it.

It will be a cheap STP/CAM-C setup for just going out and having fun and improving as a driver.

edit: Add the BMR cradle lock out kit (CB005 I think) while you're at it.
How is the lock out kit STP legal?

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So any thoughts on the FP track pack? And are all of you STP guys wearing MRR M350 wheels?
I really like the track dampers they sell. They have zero adjustability but damn they feel good and tbh its where I would hope to get my yellows tuned in if I had them.

I bought the FP dampers before the yellows came out.