Sponsored

So, steppin’ out?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
My car cuts the power. Just cuts it.

I'm not talking about doughnuts, just snow & ice driving where some wheel spin is very necessary to keep momentum going.
Weird, I do not feel like mine (2017) does anything serious intervention at all. I still can do wheelspin, or, like once happened (and that time I wished nannies helped) go fishtail.

BMW I used to own very obviously did intervene.

Subaru did exactly as they explained in commercials when I went into a turn too fast.

Even at autocross a time or two I just forgot to long press the button an did not find the car behave substantially different.
Sponsored

btcarmd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
1965 Gt Vert, 2005 GT, 2020 GT
There’s a couple things at play. One, this is the most popular sports car of all time. With quantities like that, you’re going to have issues. While Camaros weren’t being made, mustangs were crashing into crowds. Even since Camaros have come back, mustangs outsell like 5:1 (guess, no idea actual numbers) so obviously they will crash 5:1.

Also, it’s a RWD V8 with 460hp and 420ftlbs stock. That’s a lot for someone who doesn’t know what their doing, and it can get away from people who do know what their doing. I grew up on the track (albeit on two wheels) and my car has puckered up my butthole a time or two.

And finally, you have ESC, advancetrac, TC, A10 etc etc etc. that’s a ton of the car making decisions for you, and the car doesn’t always know your intent and can cause issues. Unless you’re in a manual with all that nonsense turned off, the car literally has a mind of its own.

So we have a TON of inexperienced drivers, in a high horsepower RWD car, that makes decisions for the driver…e
The main issue I have with these cars is the delay when getting out of the throttle. It seems when my back end starts to step out and I let up on the throttle to control or reduce the slide there is a very noticeable delay in throttle closing. This makes it a little hard to feel confident in maintaining a controlled slide.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Did you?

Honestly, the only real snow driving I did, when I first got the car, it would NOT allow me the wheel spin I needed. I had it in track mode, but I didn't press & hold the TC button for.....what?....3-6 seconds? To shut the TC supposedly "off".

Maybe this car has a DFO issue.
That's normal. Track mode doesn't disable the TC and ESC. It only turns them down one notch. They're a bit more relaxed, but still active. What you observed was the expected behaviour.

I did donuts in the snow without issue. If some phantom SC helped me to slide around perfectly, I didn't notice and I was happy.
I've also not noticed any intervention when I turned the ESC off. I even span a couple of times when I failed to correct a slide. So to me it seems that it is indeed off.
However, if I understand correctly, the issue is a bit different. It's not that the ESC doesn't turn off completely. I believe it does. But apparently there are some odd situations which are somehow interpreted as a sensor fault condition, and the computer momentarily switches to a fail-safe state and turns the ESC back on. So you lose grip, you start sliding, then you begin correcting the slide, everything is going fine, you're in control, when all of a sudden BAM! The ESC turns back on of its own accord and overrides your corrections and causes you to lose control. That's what I understood, anyway.
So, our own experiences, consisting in just a few donuts, may not be entirely relevant. The system may be perfectly able to do donuts in the snow with the ESC off, but not necessarily to tackle a critical, non-standard, high speed situation on a race track.
Personally, I don't think this is intentional. I think it's a bug.

Last edited:

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The main issue I have with these cars is the delay when getting out of the throttle. It seems when my back end starts to step out and I let up on the throttle to control or reduce the slide there is a very noticeable delay in throttle closing. This makes it a little hard to feel confident in maintaining a controlled slide.
This would would imply you had too much throttle applied. The real way to do controlled slides is to have the wheels spin pretty slowly. Source: I take a Mustang skiing on powder days.

54E344F1-E0B1-4CDB-80C7-93D1A323E1EA.jpeg

Edit: And a ~4000 rpm burnout seems about right to get unstuck. Good balance of digging to asphalt and causing the torsen to work while also being able to control the situation.

Last edited:

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
V8s and the cars that use them have a lot of momentum and inertia, just because you take your foot off the gas doesn’t mean the crank immediately returns to idle speed. This is another portion of these cars that needs to be understood to be controlled. Practice somewhere safe and it becomes second nature

Last edited:

Sponsored

btcarmd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
V8s and the cars that use them have a lot of momentum and inertia, just because you take your foot off the gas doesn’t mean the crank immediately returns to idle speed. This is another portion of these cars that needs to be understood to be controlled. Practice somewhere safe and it becomes second nature
I have been driving V8 cars for over 40 years and had plenty of opportunity to play with tire spin and sliding around. The issue I am trying to describe is not momentum or inertia. This is an electronic throttle that does not release the throttle plate at the instant I release the throttle pedal. This delay is way different then a mechanical throttle or frankly other electronic throttle vehicles I have driven. Example: I turn off TC & ESC, leave on a green light making a left turn in an open intersection, try to accelerate hard enough to break tire loose for light slide, tires hold traction until the break loose point and then the coefficient of friction drops way below what it was just before tires broke loose. This is the point where you need to be able to feather the throttle to maintain proper and controlled tire slip. My complaint is at this moment when I reduce throttle pedal position there is a noticeable delay in the computer closing the throttle plate. Not a good feeling! I'm sure it can be learned over time and I'm guessing this is related to the manufacturer trying to better control emissions.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I have been driving V8 cars for over 40 years and had plenty of opportunity to play with tire spin and sliding around. The issue I am trying to describe is not momentum or inertia. This is an electronic throttle that does not release the throttle plate at the instant I release the throttle pedal. This delay is way different then a mechanical throttle or frankly other electronic throttle vehicles I have driven. Example: I turn off TC & ESC, leave on a green light making a left turn in an open intersection, try to accelerate hard enough to break tire loose for light slide, tires hold traction until the break loose point and then the coefficient of friction drops way below what it was just before tires broke loose. This is the point where you need to be able to feather the throttle to maintain proper and controlled tire slip. My complaint is at this moment when I reduce throttle pedal position there is a noticeable delay in the computer closing the throttle plate. Not a good feeling! I'm sure it can be learned over time and I'm guessing this is related to the manufacturer trying to better control emissions.
Have you tried a pedal commander? If your issue really is exactly what you’re saying then that should (in theory) resolve the issue…?

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
All modern cars have terrible “rev hang” due to emissions. In the snow it demonstrates itself as continued tire spinning.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm guessing this is related to the manufacturer trying to better control emissions.
It's indeed an emissions thing, and also to protect the cats. It gives any residual fuel that might still be in the manifold/cylinders a chance to burn off, instead of being spat down the exhaust. All modern engines do this. I believe it can be tuned out, at least to some extent, though probably not completely. You wouldn't want it turned off completely anyway, because it would be bad for the cats.

btcarmd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried a pedal commander? If your issue really is exactly what you’re saying then that should (in theory) resolve the issue…?
I have not. I will look into that option, thank you.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I have not. I will look into that option, thank you.
I’ve never used one myself so I’m not sure, but there’s a few people on here that preach about how amazing they are

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
It's indeed an emissions thing, and also to protect the cats. It gives any residual fuel that might still be in the manifold/cylinders a chance to burn off, instead of being spat down the exhaust. All modern engines do this. I believe it can be tuned out, at least to some extent, though probably not completely. You wouldn't want it turned off completely anyway, because it would be bad for the cats.
With this being the general consensus, do you know if the pedal commander can get rid of this?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
With this being the general consensus, do you know if the pedal commander can get rid of this?
I've no direct experience with the Pedal Commander, or with any other throttle enhancer for that matter, but I don't think it can. All these devices do is fool the ECU into thinking that you've pushed the pedal harder. For instance, when you press the accelerator to 20% of its total travel, it will tell the ECU that you've pressed it 30%. But it can't change how fast the ECU responds to this input. Besides, it can only alter your input as long as there is an input at all. When you lift off and the pedal is at 0%, there's nothing it can do but report 0% to the ECU. What the ECU does with this information is a different story.
So, while I can't bet my life on it not being able to help with this issue, frankly I would be very surprised if it could.

Last edited:

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Speaking of stepping out, saw this on Twitch last night, Ouch.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Speaking of stepping out, saw this on Twitch last night, Ouch.

Yeah, after watching your video maybe I should have titled this thread “Do Mustangs get loose easier and more often than similar cars and if so, why?” That was kinda my point anyway.
Sponsored