Sponsored

So.. is this a crazy idea?

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
I'm currently a year into a 3 year lease of a Fusion Energi (PHEV). I used to own a '14 S197 V6 and a '15 S550 EB. I have someone interested in taking over the Fusion lease, and am considering getting a '17 GT instead.

Insurance on the Fusion (100/300/100, $1K deductibles) is about $106 a month, and insurance on the GT is about $180 a month (:(). +$74

Gas usage will also go up a lot as I'll probably drive it a lot more, perhaps +$75 a month.

Plus the payment on a $30K loan at 2% is about $500 a month, +$200 over what I pay on the Fusion.

So, +~$350 for the GT......:confused:
Sponsored

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Have you tried to shop around with insurance? When I went from my '06 V6 to my '15 GT, I was being quoted 80+ dollars extra per month for insurance (Around 180-190). Switched insurance companies and now I'm paying about 4 dollars more a month.

Gas is killer, though. I budget about 250 dollars a month for gas. That's about 5-6 fill ups per month.

At the end of the day, you have to decide if it's worth it, as we honestly don't know your financial situation lol. The car is a blast and it looks like you've been part of these forums for over a year, so you must be pretty interested in the car. Go test drive one and see what you think.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I'm currently a year into a 3 year lease of a Fusion Energi (PHEV). I used to own a '14 S197 V6 and a '15 S550 EB. I have someone interested in taking over the Fusion lease, and am considering getting a '17 GT instead.

Insurance on the Fusion (100/300/100, $1K deductibles) is about $106 a month, and insurance on the GT is about $180 a month (:(). +$74

Gas usage will also go up a lot as I'll probably drive it a lot more, perhaps +$75 a month.

Plus the payment on a $30K loan at 2% is about $500 a month, +$200 over what I pay on the Fusion.

Waaaaay more than that. You won't keep it stock so factory in mod money too.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Only you know what you can afford. If an extra $350 a month gives you pause (and it sounds like it might?), probably best to go with your head and not your heart on this one.

Sponsored

Budoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer
I was actually having second thoughts when I ordered one. Honestly, I still think about the money I'll save if I don't get one, given that it probably won't arrive until mid next year. Order times here in Australia are quite long. However, the wife told me that we can never really tell what the future brings, in other words, yolo! So she made me order one, even went to the dealership with me. And everytime I have second thoughts, she tells me not to think about the money. So yeah, yolo! Go for it!

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Yeah, about $180 was my insurance each month for a while too. I moved about 9 miles out into a new zip though and that dropped to $115. I fill up about once a week, but it just depends on whether I get down to half a tank or 3/4 tank I still refill either way once the week is up. I guess between $60-$80 a month sounds about right. $558 a month on my payments. Yeah, guess we sit about the same one way or another lol. I don't know, I'm doing alright with it though. I could be saving more money. I could have just replaced the transmission on my 2006 GT, whose payments were closer in line with what you pay for your Fusion, and I'd have been done with payments altogether this October. But, I make my bills and still have an alright amount to throw at either my savings or some credit cards. I budget myself just a hair more on the indulgences like eating out. But I love the hell out of this car and never regret pulling the trigger one bit.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
if people looked at the numbers they wouldn't have kids either. buy the fucking car and drive it like you stole it!

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
What's crazy is that you got rid of a mustang for a Fusion. You probably took a really bad hit on going from the 14 to a 15 and then shortly dropping that for the fusion. You just keep paying depreciation on these cars. Cars depreciate the most in the first year. I'd get a used GT and keep the cost lower. Have someone else take the depreciation hit for a change.

Sponsored

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I would say it'll be more than $350+
Don't forget that Mustang GT has higher maintenance cost than Fusion.
If you don't need a 4dr sedan, why not drive a Mustang?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Honestly, it appears as if you have a succession of..........bad automotive buying and selling decisions in the recent past. You're taking a financial ass-whooping buying and selling and buying and selling, you're just throwing money away with every change.

Then, if the person who is going to "take over" your lease (no such thing), then you're fucked if the decide they don't want to pay for it anymore.

If you have the disposable income, do it. If not, don't.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you're factoring in an increase in gas cost, this probably isn't a sound financial decision for you.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium

ab49a5f2c3f9544bc6e3a13f7b06e1b1.jpg
Sponsored