Sponsored

Is this a dumb idea

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Ive been having this annoying cracking or snapping sound driving at low speed coming from rear tires. i haven't had the time recently to take it to a shop because of work but would it be dumb to just spray some wd40 by the axles see if that makes the sound go away for now untill i can take it to a shop or will that worsen things?
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Where exactly would you spray it? I'm not sure what or where you think WD40 would help, but it probably won't.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Ive been having this annoying cracking or snapping sound driving at low speed coming from rear tires. i haven't had the time recently to take it to a shop because of work but would it be dumb to just spray some wd40 by the axles see if that makes the sound go away for now untill i can take it to a shop or will that worsen things?
Are you sure you don't have something stuck on your tire..?

And, what is the WD40 for ? I am confused about that.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Yes.

OP
OP
s550_GT

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Are you sure you don't have something stuck on your tire..?

And, what is the WD40 for ? I am confused about that.
im sure, once ive been lowered on eibach sportlines for a year now and it just recently started.

it sounds like theres a clicking at low speed maybe the lubricant from the WD40 would make the sound go away

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Not so much as dumb but a complete waste of time and WD40 comes to mind. Could be many things none of which WD40 would fix. Sounds like more of a rotation issue as to a suspension issue unless you think the lower stance is causing some weird angles with the drive shafts?? WD40 won't fix the issue.

OP
OP
s550_GT

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Not so much as dumb but a complete waste of time and WD40 comes to mind. Could be many things none of which WD40 would fix. Sounds like more of a rotation issue as to a suspension issue unless you think the lower stance is causing some weird angles with the drive shafts?? WD40 won't fix the issue.
All the research ive done has led me to believe its an axle nut or some suspension issue. as soon as i lowered the car i got an alignment a year ago.. maybe i need to check that too.

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
Tighten your rear shocks. Bet you anything it's the bolts clicking under torqued. Ask me how I know?

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
All the research ive done has led me to believe its an axle nut or some suspension issue. as soon as i lowered the car i got an alignment a year ago.. maybe i need to check that too.
This sounds like the most reasonable explanation...!

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I like the shock tightening idea too. (You don't by chance have wheel spacers, do you?)

ALL4SQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
I had a clicking noise on my 2013 mustang. The dealer fixed it. They said it was the floating pins on the rear brake calipers. I believe they cleaned and greased them and the noise went away. It was a very annoying clicking sound.
The sound went away on my car when the brakes were applied so yours may be a different problem.

There are some posts dealing with clicking sounds.
Here is one that might help: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43020&highlight=clicking

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Another possible cause where cracking noise's are emitted is wear from a constant velocity joint (CV) on a drive shaft !

OP
OP
s550_GT

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I had a clicking noise on my 2013 mustang. The dealer fixed it. They said it was the floating pins on the rear brake calipers. I believe they cleaned and greased them and the noise went away. It was a very annoying clicking sound.
The sound went away on my car when the brakes were applied so yours may be a different problem.

There are some posts dealing with clicking sounds.
Here is one that might help: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43020&highlight=clicking
do you think the dealership will still look at it and fix it if im lowered ? i feel like they will just blame it on that.
Sponsored