Sponsored

Snap/Click from driver's rear suspension

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
For a few months now, I've had a weird snap/click sound from the driver's rear suspension that's heard on slow speed take offs, both when turning and when straight. I initially thought it was the halfshaft, but it's not cyclical like a halfshaft failure would be. It clicks a couple times, seemingly while there's loading of the suspension components, and then stops.

Without throwing parts at it, does anyone have any ideas on the cause? There are so many linkages and such back there, that attempting to isolate it seems daunting. I do have the Steeda Stop the Hop Starter kit, with subframe locating pins, subframe braces, and IRS subframe bushing support brackets. This noise started happening about six months after installation of the STH kit, but as we all know, correlation does not imply causality.

I should mention that I took it to the dealer (they were replacing my valve cover gaskets under warranty), and asked them to look into it. They confirmed that it wasn't the halfshafts, but couldn't pinpoint (probably didn't want to). All they could tell me was that they thought it was probably some sort of control arm.

JR
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
There's about a 99.99999 percent chance it's the halfshafts, the hubs, or loose spindle nuts. I don't know how the dealer made the determination that "it's not the halfshafts" but a clicking or snapping sound when accelerating or when the weight transfers is pointing very strongly in that direction. Have you taken the wheel off to confirm the spindle nut is tight? There's a long, long list of people that have had this problem and, yeah, it's some combination of the nuts, the hubs, and the halfshafts.

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
Is this something that needs to looked at. I've had this issue for awhile and just moved on from it.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's about a 99.99999 percent chance it's the halfshafts, the hubs, or loose spindle nuts. I don't know how the dealer made the determination that "it's not the halfshafts" but a clicking or snapping sound when accelerating or when the weight transfers is pointing very strongly in that direction. Have you taken the wheel off to confirm the spindle nut is tight? There's a long, long list of people that have had this problem and, yeah, it's some combination of the nuts, the hubs, and the halfshafts.
I actually torqued the axle nuts awhile back, and then finally replaced them and used Lock-tite, per the instructions from BMR. It did not fix the issue.

I have a set of GT350 axles ready to go in, I just want to be able to resolve whatever else might be bad while I'm in there. I had planned to replace the hubs while I'm at it, as well. Perhaps I'll just do the axles, hubs, and spindle nuts, and see what happens.

JR

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a good course of action and I have not had any sounds since I replaced all of those components.

Sponsored

Deleted member

If you tightened the nut and it's still clicking it's the CV joints, had both mine go bad within 6 months of each other.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you tightened the nut and it's still clicking it's the CV joints, had both mine go bad within 6 months of each other.
That's what I thought initially, but it's not a rhythmic clicking, like I've heard when other CV joints go back. I mean, I had to replace them on one of my old FWD cars a bunch of years ago, and whenever I turned at slow speed, it was click click click click click click click click click.

This is like - stop, start moving, hear a snap, accelerate, hear a pop, then nothing.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, replace the half shafts, nuts, and hubs and you will be golden.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i have the same prob shop i deal with, work related . looked at it said 99% its half shafts so i got gt350 shafts and new wheel bearing ready to go in just need the weather to warm up ,,figured id do the bearing while im in there

Sponsored

RoushStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
There is a known problem for clicking in the rear when going from reverse to drive or the other way around. The wheel bearings are the cause, my car did this as well. Did it with stock half shafts and aftermarket ones. New wheel bearings and never heard it again.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on this...

I replaced both rear hubs/bearings with Moog 512517 and installed a set of brand new GT350 axles. I initially thought this fixed the issue, but it started up the second time i started off in first gear.

Any other thoughts? Vertical links? Sway bar endlinks? I'm pretty sure I ended up giving myself a hernia while I was doing the work, so it might be awhile until I'm able to install a new part, unless I pay my neighbor's kid to do the hard part.

JR