Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
If it's catching fine and no grinds you are good. When I was learning to launch my Evo I smoked my clutch multiple times and it was fine before it finally gave up the ghost. Hard engagements and slipping under WOT are the big signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn you got me worried now. I'll watch out for grinds. I'll give it a good WOT on my way home this evening and see if I notice anything. I can't imagine he would have smoked it completely and not said anything.

Okay so Hard engagements as in what? I'll watch for it on my way home. Slipping at WOT too. That means revs while I'm letting clutch out? Sorry, very new to all of this.
Sponsored

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
Damn you got me worried now. I'll watch out for grinds. I'll give it a good WOT on my way home this evening and see if I notice anything. I can't imagine he would have smoked it completely and not said anything.

Okay so Hard engagements as in what? I'll watch for it on my way home. Slipping at WOT too. That means revs while I'm letting clutch out? Sorry, very new to all of this.

Slipping is when you power on while in gear and the revs climb faster than your speed would normally; it's usually quite noticeable. Hard eng aments would be you trying to go in gear and it doesn't want to or you have to put in more effort than normal; usually associated with a grind when going in.

I would say everything is fine, the smell is your cats. If it all feels the same driving right now that is almost certainly it.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
Slipping is when you power on while in gear and the revs climb faster than your speed would normally; it's usually quite noticeable. Hard eng aments would be you trying to go in gear and it doesn't want to or you have to put in more effort than normal; usually associated with a grind when going in.

I would say everything is fine, the smell is your cats. If it all feels the same driving right now that is almost certainly it.

Yea I am pretty sure it's accelerating the same as before, haven't noticed any slipage of that kind. I'll note it on my drive home today.

Hard engagements on the other hand... I've noticed it being a bit harder to get into 2nd. maybe a bit into 3rd.

Hoping it's my cats:) I'll really pay attention to the slippage and hard engagements on my drive home, I'm a worrier.

Much appreciate the insight:cheers::hail:

Sponsored

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
That's what freedom smells like!

Pootie_Stang

Wah Dah Ta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP Base
Dude i swear to you its the cats lol. Burnt clutch smells nothing like that egg smell, people need to stop spreading wrong info

also do you have an aftermarket exhaust? you will smell it more with that

Last edited:

rabbit_eater

This place makes me itch.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow '15 GT PP
Do you have the performance pack? I've noticed that after a spirited drive that the brakes can really make a specific smell. The pads on these 6-piston brembos are quite massive as compared to your average car. I came from a '13 Focus ST and it made quite a bit of smells for the first 20k or so, due to the twin-disc clutch and hard brake pad compound. I'd say it's pretty normal... Only about 550 miles on my GT PP, and it makes all those (awesome) smells after a good drive as well.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
Lmao at this thread, never smelled cats before when someone hammers on the highway?

WaxDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 GT Custom Pack
My brand new GT has a certain smell to it after some hard driving. It's just down to heat and the 'newness' wearing off various parts.

Don't think it's anything to worry about IMO

Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I don't know, that does sound (smell?) like a burnt clutch to me. I haven't had this issue on the Mustang but there was one time I let my stepdad drive my WRX. He used to drive stick but hadn't in years. Had to back the car up their relatively steep driveway. He burnt that clutch like I've never smelt before. It smelled absolutely terrible for quite some time. What's worse is that I noticed that the smell would always seem to come back afterwards during spirited driving.

Wondering if maybe you or someone burned up the clutch previously and this is just that smell lingering... I dunno.
Are you freaking kidding me? Really! A burnt clutch has never smelled like rotten eggs! Drive behind any 4 banger driving up a hill at highway speed and you get that sulfer/eggs/farts smell every time. Its a hot CAT, no question about it. Don't be freaking the guy out for something that's normal.:crazy:

TheBMWguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTpp, '98 328is, '90 240sx, '99 SL500
Sorry to revive an old thread but there was not much for this when I searched. I installed a Corsa Xtreme on my 2017 PP GT, and have been dealing with a very strong sulfur/rotten egg smell since installation. I was wondering if the OP ever found a solution. Mine is bad. If I'm doing 90 on the freeway with the windows down the smell fills the cabin. To the point where passengers consistently ask about it. To be clear never had an issue or so much as a whiff of eggy smell before the catback.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Sorry to revive an old thread but there was not much for this when I searched. I installed a Corsa Xtreme on my 2017 PP GT, and have been dealing with a very strong sulfur/rotten egg smell since installation. I was wondering if the OP ever found a solution. Mine is bad. If I'm doing 90 on the freeway with the windows down the smell fills the cabin. To the point where passengers consistently ask about it. To be clear never had an issue or so much as a whiff of eggy smell before the catback.[/QUOT

Likely need to check your exhuast connections for a leak. Likely something wasn't tightened properly during the install or worked its way loose after the first heating/cooling cycles. Overwhelming smell is either toasted CATs or a bad exhaust leak on newer CATs that have yet to break in.

How many miles on the car?

Also, does the new catback have you driving the car harder to hear that glorious 5.0 note? Might just be pushing more flow through the CATs than you have with the stock system and are finally breaking them in.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Check the clamps make sure they are torqued to spec.
I know the front factory clamps are supposed to be 35-40ft lbs. Normal exhaust clamps are 35ft lbs and flex band clamps are 50ft lbs.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Oh man I'd be SOOOO pissed if my brother burned up the clutch. Any way I could tell? I've never had to replace a clutch or anything, this isn't my first Manual, but my previous I only had for a handful of miles.

if you've owned manuals before you would know if it was the clutch. Clutch smoke has a very distinct smell. My GT does the same little smell after a hard pull AND I actually didn't start noticing it until I was past 15k miles. But, around the same time I noticed it I had read someone mention it in a thread so maybe it was there the whole time. Still does it at almost 25k but it usually requires a longer pull, such as taking it to 110 from 3rd gear getting on the interstate...not that I'd do that.
Sponsored