Sponsored

Should I?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I am in agreement with you. I won't call them fools, but I just don't pay over MSRP for anything.

I know of someone that is offering the seller of a house more than they have it listed for........say what.

Wait at least until you can get exactly what you want without paying over MSRP. Probably be good to wait until next model year too. Just don't be one of the fools who pays way over sticker so they can have one a few months earlier.

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
I know of someone that is offering the seller of a house more than they have it listed for........say what.
Not sure what real estate is like in Georgia but this is not a new trend. If you can afford a house buy it now.

To the OP of course you should get the small block. Lower center of gravity, more usable torque. Have you heard about that Corvette with a coyote swap? Me either.

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory 5 1965 Shelby Daytona Replica in progress, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Nissan Leaf(gasp)
Vehicle Showcase
To the OP of course you should get the small block. Lower center of gravity, more usable torque. Have you heard about that Corvette with a coyote swap? Me either.
Come on now, the Coyote is much larger then the LS. You don't see Coyotes in corvettes because it won't really fit, not because its not a good idea. Well... okay there are multiple reasons you don't see Corvettes with coyote swaps.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I've had Corvettes on and off since the early 90s. Great cars, fantastic performance bang for the buck. Although none of mine were at Porsche levels of fit and finish and reliability, neither were any of them particularly troublesome. You know, for a Chevy.

The last two I bought, I got from MacMulkin in NH. One I ordered and had shipped, the other I flew up and drove it home. I saved enough money (versus buying it from my local thieves) to make it worthwhile.

Lots of internet lore horror stories about buying first year GM cars. I'm sure that was true long ago, probably less of a factor now.

My last one was a brand new C7, base car with just active exhaust. Probably around $48K, I think, in 2017.

My Mustang GT is a base car, no options, around $33K new in May.

Which is faster? Duh.

Which handles better. Duh.

Which is easier to get in an out of? The Ford.

Which is easier to work on (as little as I've done so far)? The Ford.

Which is cheaper to get parts for? The Ford.

Which has a more active bunch of enthusiast owners, versus polish and show old farts? Duh.

LOL

I admit I have not driven the C8. It's not a consideration for me because it's missing an important pedal.

I did drive the Z51 C7 at Ron Fellows' in NV for their two day advanced school. If I wanted to buy a new car as my track toy, that would be it. Very impressive. You don't have to throw thousands of dollars of mods at it like the Ford to make it a reliable track weapon. But then it costs nearly twice as much...

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you order now its going to be a while, so selling your Mustang would happen quite a bit later, but yeah they look pretty cool.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I agree, plenty of pros and cons.

I bought from MacMulkin also; same story with the Colorado dealerships at that time not selling for under MSRP and MacMulkin was about 15% under at that time.

I too wouldn't buy a first-year car, and especially not one with mark-ups from MSRP. I'm going to wait until the C8 Z06 is in it's second year to bite.

I had to laugh at the old farts comment (wait, I'm not too far away from that age myself), but I went to my first Mustang meeting this week and thought I had accidentally walked into a Corvette meeting. Good people :)

I've had Corvettes on and off since the early 90s. Great cars, fantastic performance bang for the buck. Although none of mine were at Porsche levels of fit and finish and reliability, neither were any of them particularly troublesome. You know, for a Chevy.

The last two I bought, I got from MacMulkin in NH. One I ordered and had shipped, the other I flew up and drove it home. I saved enough money (versus buying it from my local thieves) to make it worthwhile.

Lots of internet lore horror stories about buying first year GM cars. I'm sure that was true long ago, probably less of a factor now.

My last one was a brand new C7, base car with just active exhaust. Probably around $48K, I think, in 2017.

My Mustang GT is a base car, no options, around $33K new in May.

Which is faster? Duh.

Which handles better. Duh.

Which is easier to get in an out of? The Ford.

Which is easier to work on (as little as I've done so far)? The Ford.

Which is cheaper to get parts for? The Ford.

Which has a more active bunch of enthusiast owners, versus polish and show old farts? Duh.

LOL

I admit I have not driven the C8. It's not a consideration for me because it's missing an important pedal.

I did drive the Z51 C7 at Ron Fellows' in NV for their two day advanced school. If I wanted to buy a new car as my track toy, that would be it. Very impressive. You don't have to throw thousands of dollars of mods at it like the Ford to make it a reliable track weapon. But then it costs nearly twice as much...

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Personally not me, no interior room, so it fast and handles great. I want a car I can use.
If you won't the car just so you can have the fastest car, and newest toy then I say buy it if you have the room in your garage.
The Corvette belongs on a racetrack. A Corvette on the street, is like a race horse giving rides at the county fair.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Hey John, I'm sure you know most people buying the Corvette are not doing it for the interior room. As long as a set of golf clubs fit somewhere in the car, they are fine.

I also don't know a single person that daily drives theirs.

I don't remember the OP saying he was buying it to have the fastest and newest toy; there are plenty more than the Corvette to fit that role. :) I am not a specific brand fanboy of any vehicles; like them all...well almost all of them.

Personally not me, no interior room, so it fast and handles great. I want a car I can use.
If you won't the car just so you can have the fastest car, and newest toy then I say buy it if you have the room in your garage.
The Corvette belongs on a racetrack. A Corvette on the street, is like a race horse giving rides at the county fair.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Hey John, I'm sure you know most people buying the Corvette are not doing it for the interior room. As long as a set of golf clubs fit somewhere in the car, they are fine.

I also don't know a single person that daily drives theirs.

I don't remember the OP saying he was buying it to have the fastest and newest toy; there are plenty more than the Corvette to fit that role. :) I am not a specific brand fanboy of any vehicles; like them all...well almost all of them.
Understand what your saying, I looked over a new one the other day and the interior wraps around you. Especially with that consoles that waterfalls down the center. Friends have told me the Corvette was boring to drive because they take away sense of speed, again to my point, the car belongs on the track.
So if you buy a Corvette what would be the reason.
1. Appearance
2. Track at events
3. Events car shows
4. Drive on weekends on desolate road to enjoy performance.
When compared to Mustang or other GT coupe
1. Park anyway
2. Daily drive
3. Be comfortable when driving
4. Leave outside in driveway at home
5. Still own a car that goes too fast for streets.
If OP wants a Corvette and wants to buy one and has the resources, why not.
To me it would be let down to buy a car I can't use, when I had a Mustang that checked all the boxes. I would not buy a Corvette to replace a vehicle. It would be purchased as an individual vehicle to be special use only.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have owned a number of Corvettes in my lifetime. The first was a 59, the last was a C5. They are a terrific performance bargain, compared to most other 2 seaters. I think everyone should own one at least once in their lifetime. It's a unique car in any generation. They hold value well, too; much better than Mustangs.
Sponsored