Shifter rattle even with MGW?

blue_snek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350 • 2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon
So I’ve got a rattling/buzzing coming from the shifter assembly that is similar to what I’ve seen posted here numerous times. My issue is that the fix I keep seeing is to get an MGW shifter, but I already have one installed. I notice it only when I’m on the throttle at higher loads. Anyone else still experiencing a rattling/buzzing even after installing an MGW?
Sponsored

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I have the MGW and there is no buzzing or rattling that I notice. We used dynamat and the material provided by MGW so that may have made a difference in the harmonics.

I would expect a bit of rattling/buzzing to be coming from the drive train at higher RPMs though. Another thought would be that before the tranny brace was lowered did you mark the brace location? From the install videos I've watched there was an emphasis to mark the brace location and return it to the same spot that the factory installed it or there could vibration. IDK if that' relevant but just a thought as to why you are getting the rattling/buzzing and I'm not.

Hopefully someone like Honeybadger who has more time under the car than I do will chime in.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Must be pretty loud if you can hear it at higher RPMs...

OP
OP
blue_snek

blue_snek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nic
Vehicle(s)
I have the MGW and there is no buzzing or rattling that I notice. We used dynamat and the material provided by MGW so that may have made a difference in the harmonics.

I would expect a bit of rattling/buzzing to be coming from the drive train at higher RPMs though. Another thought would be that before the tranny brace was lowered did you mark the brace location? From the install videos I've watched there was an emphasis to mark the brace location and return it to the same spot that the factory installed it or there could vibration. IDK if that' relevant but just a thought as to why you are getting the rattling/buzzing and I'm not.

Hopefully someone like Honeybadger who has more time under the car than I do will chime in.
Yes I double checked the transmission brace but I may try rebolting it in place just to be sure. I used the supplied materials for the sound deadening but I might try adding more dynamat to the underside of the center console to see if that quiets it down.

Must be pretty loud if you can hear it at higher RPMs...
It is fairly loud, maybe it’s the frequency but it manages to show through the engine and exhaust noises.

Sponsored

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
No noise or significant vibration from my MGW that is installed on my 2019 GT350. I had my SVT technician install it.

OP
OP
blue_snek

blue_snek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nic
Vehicle(s)
Just to add, I am sure that it's coming from somewhere in/around the shifter assembly. I've tried removing the entire center console assembly, all of the surrounding bits from the shifter (rubber dust boot, fabric sound deadening, etc.), and the shift knob itself, and drove around and the noise was still there (louder actually because nothing was there to block it).

At this point I'm open to trying any suggestions posted here, so far that includes triple checking the transmission brace position and adding more sound deadening. I really do appreciate the help of anyone who can weigh in on this.

Last resort, I'll take it to an independent shop that has experience with these cars and have them uninstall and reinstall the shifter (I installed it myself).

JP Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP Knight
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
I also have the rattling noise from my MGW R-Spec on my 18 gt. It happens on high rpm when I lay off the throttle. Tho, I notice it was mostly the knob was rattle so I added one more rubber spacer that looked like a washer that came with the kit to make the knob hug really tight / eliminate the space in between.. That seems to help quite a bit. I now barely hear it. ----- The MGW shifter is connected to the transmission thus gets so much vibration.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So I’ve got a rattling/buzzing coming from the shifter assembly that is similar to what I’ve seen posted here numerous times. My issue is that the fix I keep seeing is to get an MGW shifter, but I already have one installed. I notice it only when I’m on the throttle at higher loads. Anyone else still experiencing a rattling/buzzing even after installing an MGW?
I had a buzzing when I first installed mine, so I looked at the gap around the shifter where it comes up through the top of the tunnel. It was super close on one side, so I got under the car and moved the crossmember over about 1/8". Buzzing's gone.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
We actually wrapped the shifter box itself with dynamat along with the material provided. I think we went double on the bottom of the shift box so we wouldn't get anything from the drive shaft.

Sponsored

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The dealer thought my trans to engine plate noise was the shifter. For me replacing the plate solved the noise. I think some of the guys have used a stick on sound deadening material to stop the vibration on the trans to engine plate. Maybe worth trying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blue_snek

blue_snek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nic
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all so much for the recommendations. I’m probably going to go ahead and try all of these this week/weekend and see what happens.

I had a buzzing when I first installed mine, so I looked at the gap around the shifter where it comes up through the top of the tunnel. It was super close on one side, so I got under the car and moved the crossmember over about 1/8". Buzzing's gone.
Is the crossmember you’re mentioning that main support bracket on the bottom of the transmission?

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
It's this bracket
Capture.PNG

OP
OP
blue_snek

blue_snek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nic
Vehicle(s)
It's this bracket
Capture.PNG
Well that makes the second person to mention that bracket as a point of concern. I’ll pull the boot off and see which side my shifter is closer to (I do remember it being very close to one side as well) and try to position the bracket further the other direction.

OP
OP
blue_snek

blue_snek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nic
Vehicle(s)
We actually wrapped the shifter box itself with dynamat along with the material provided. I think we went double on the bottom of the shift box so we wouldn't get anything from the drive shaft.
Do you happen to know what thickness of Dynamat you used?
Sponsored