Shifter rattle

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I am having an issue where I get a very loud rattling in first and second gears, and I have located the source to the gear shift lever. I can mostly alleviate it by pulling up on the collar that locks out reverse, but it has been getting progressively louder.

I only have 1500 miles on the car @ 7 mos. old. Is this a common problem or if not, has anyone else run across it? I wasn't planning to go aftermarket for the shifter as the stock is okay, so I hope that isn't the solution.
Sponsored

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My stock shifter is silent, but it can happen. The only good solution is replacing the shifter for the MGW.

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track (gone), 2019 GT350 (gone)
I am having an issue where I get a very loud rattling in first and second gears, and I have located the source to the gear shift lever. I can mostly alleviate it by pulling up on the collar that locks out reverse, but it has been getting progressively louder.

I only have 1500 miles on the car @ 7 mos. old. Is this a common problem or if not, has anyone else run across it? I wasn't planning to go aftermarket for the shifter as the stock is okay, so I hope that isn't the solution.
[ame]

Helped me.

HotLap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Cant access either of the the above vids but check out Auto Fanatic's fix on You Tube (if the above aren't it). This is a known issue with the spring rattling against the shift handle. Easy fix, I did mine several months ago, completely quiet now!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

The dealer can fix it under warranty. There's also a thread on here with photos showing the parts that should be in the shifter. Other people have had similar problems and been able to get it fixed without replacing the shifter.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88045&highlight=shifter+buzz

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
As far as quality and knowledge, AutoFanatic has one of the best channels on YouTube

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Thx for the link guys, i might tackle this little winter project soon as mine started rattling badly at the end of last summer.

FPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I completely agree!!

OP
OP
gravedgr

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks everyone - great feedback and knowledge as always!

Sponsored

Robbys3m3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Had the same rattle...fixed with the solution above!

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Worked for me!

He forgot to mention you need a telescoping magnet for when you drop the roll pin down the transmission tunnel...

You can buy gray "cord weatherstrip" MD brand pn# 71548 at Lowes for $5 if you don't want to spend $20 for the 3M stuff. You will have enough to do every GT350 ever made, as you only need 2 inches of the 90 feet.

My first heat shrink was too thick. As a backup, I had bought some 1/2" GB brand heat shrink pn# HST-500B. It is too small diameter out of the package, but just use some needle nose pliers to expand it a little bit. Worked fine.

I also used dielectric grease instead of petroleum based stuff.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak

Helped me.
I used Auto Fanatic's youtube video to fix the buzz/rattle in my shifter as well.

However, instead of using window weld in the shift collar housing, I used foam inserts. My concern was that the window weld might make it tough to get the collar off if I ever need to remove things again. Auto Fanatic replied and said the window weld will not permanently bond, but I had already gone with my foam solution.

Regardless, the fix works and my car is currently completely rattle free (hope it stays that way). :)
Sponsored