Shark Fin Antenna

93coupe/stroked

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost base auto metalic
My 2020 shark fin................. Stops me from hitting the wall at high speed!
20210312_181624.jpg
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Well for people that have the shark fin you get xmsirius channel up in the 700’s. With the old antenna you are capped at 300’s or less I think

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well for people that have the shark fin you get xmsirius channel up in the 700’s. With the old antenna you are capped at 300’s or less I think
That’s it. Has nothing to do with the 12 speaker system. If you don’t like it and do not use satellite radio there is a thread on here with a how to replace it. .

Sponsored

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blueearlbrewing.com
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium California Special
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to get a black cover for my shark fin so when I wrap the roof black, it matches. The covers I see for the shark fin antenna don’t look tall enough.

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to order one and try.

Kevin70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Scion xA, Mitsubishi 3000GT
In this day and age, I don’t even know why vehicle manufactures even need to hard mount any such bubble or shark fin to the body for antenna signals.

In my 94 Cobra, I have had Sirius - and I never mounted the antenna outside on the trunk lid or roof as recommended. It’s on the rear deck, facing out the window and gets 100% perfect signal, without any interruption or interference. It’s been that way for a good 10+ years now...

In modern day cars, the same could be done; mount the antenna either in top of front dash or top of rear deck - stop mounting ugly ass bubbles or fins to the roofs....
Completely agree. Is is ridiculous to have anything sticking up on the roof for satellite radio. I couldn't care less about satellite radio, but you do NOT need to have an external antenna to connect to satellites. I think they did it originally because satellite radio was considered some cool new feature (by some people) and the shark fins told the world you had it. No one views satellite radio as a status symbol today, so there is ZERO reason for those blemishes on the tops of cars today.

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
From what I heard was the shark fin antenna was a cost savings for Ford, it put the cellular antenna in the shark fin instead of behind the rear bumper. Supposedly has nothing to do with increasing channels on xm/sirius.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I hate the shark fin on my 2020, I think it is hideous. (Car was built July of 2020.) My wife's 2018 Nissan Altima has all the same options as my mustang. (Sirius, navigation, am/fm, etc.) and it just has a small hockey puck middle rear of roof. If I could find something that would allow me to keep all the electronics and ditch the fin, I would buy it in a heart beat.

Doug

Last edited:

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB

Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase

WarMachine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 10R80 Iconic Silver
Did the 2020 mustang have the shark fin antenna’s? From the pics I have seen, it looks like just a small bubble. In 2021, why did Ford bring it back the shark fin? I think it looks better without.
I believe it has to do with wether or not you have navigation I have the 9 speaker setup in my 20 GT and I have the fin

OP
OP
Dmustang82

Dmustang82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue
I ordered a 2021 Mach 1 premium, no NAV, and I’m anticipating a fin. I just wish it wasn’t there. I don’t satellite radio or even am/fm, I just steam from my phone. Idk, not a big deal, just doesn’t look as sleek.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The shark fin is ugly as hell, but at least it seems to work nicely.
When driving I use to listen to music over the internet, using Apple Music on my BT-connected phone. On the way to my holiday house there's a stretch of road of about twenty kilometers or so, across the mountains, where the GSM/4G signal varies from extremely poor to nonexistent. I could never take a phone call there, and the music would always stop.
Now with the Mustang it's a different story. Instead of the phone relying on its own mobile data connection, it's now connected to the wi-fi hotspot in the car, which in turn uses the mobile data connection provided by the telematics module. The 4G antenna is in the shark fin.
I've been driving back and forth on that road several times since I got the Mustang, and never, not even once, did I lose signal again. Apple Music and Siri work normally now.
Both the phone and the car are using the same provider - i.e. Vodafone.
So the 4G antenna they've put in that shark fin does seem to be quite good.
But it's still an eyesore, no matter how you look at it.
Sponsored

Last edited: